Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overhead Lift trolley system under $300.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anarchy Choppers, Sep 29, 2008.

1. I only have a two-car garage and limited space, as I am sure a lot of us are in the same boat. So this is what I did to set up an overhead trolley system while keeping the cost down. Items you will need are as follows.

You will need 2 6"X6"X8’ pressure treated beam (Home Depot $24 each)
    A metal I-beam 19’ long (new 6" $350) used 8" 24’ long off of craigslist $100
    One or two ton overhead trolley (Harbor Freight)
    1 ton #97392-2VGA $59.99
    2 ton #40493-7VGA $79.99
    Chain hoist (Harbor Freight)
    1 ton #30324-6VGA $64.99
    2 ton #631-7VGA $72.99
    A couple of 2X4
    I used a total of (6) 8 inch lag bolts (8) 3" lag bolts

Locate the area you want to set up the trolley (I set mine up in the center of my garage for removing the body from my car)

Attach 2X4X20" between the two wall studs at the top, middle, and bottom to attach 6"X6".

Use the lag bolts to attach the 6X6 to the 2X4 (Ensure that you measure the distance between the floor and ceiling, then deduct the thickens of you I-beam first)

Now call all of you buddies over, be sure not to tell them what your planning or they might not show, or find an AC duct lift. Now lift you metal I-beam on top of your two 6X6 beams and then using the (8) 3" lag bolts attach the I-beam to the 6X6

Attach your Trolley to the I-beam and attach your chain hoist’ and there you have it. Cheep but effective!

I set mine up in the center of my garage in order to remove the body of my car by myself in order to work on my frame. I can remove the body and slide it out of the way while I work on the frame. Then I am able to roll it back over the frame when I am done and put all of my items removed from garage back in.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like you do good work, but I wouldn't want to be under anything held by a Harbor Freight hoist. I hope you upgrade soon.

3. I did get the 2 ton trolley, and it is pretty solid. But I always put supports under the body, as I dont trust anything. Saftey first!!!!

4. blackout

blackout

That's a fine solution you came up with. You are serious about building your car right. I think this would be helpful for a lot of guys. Thanks for posting.

5. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

I have been going nuts trying to figure out something like this that didn't take up to much space. Thank you so much!!!!!!

6. Wildfire

Wildfire

Been planning this myself. Now I'm moving, so maybe in the next place.

7. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Man, that would be great for so many chores, like engine pulling, baby sitting....

Great tech. I think I'll build one of those but look for a trolley that I trust. Not a big fan of Harbor Freight's reputation.

8. 3Mike6

3Mike6

What keeps it from going back and forth?

Might just be the pics, but looks like it's just propped up to the ceiling?

9. It's not just rep, it's real. Ive had China casting break in my garage. Not safe!

10. James427

James427
    BANNED

There is a local guy that was going to do the same thing but got sick. He's got the 26' beam and the trolley for $150 if anyone in Knoxville TN is looking for this.

11. 416Ford

416Ford

3mike6, Pictures are great but sometimes you have to read.:D

12. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Lol...I graduated from Evelyn Woodhead speed reading;)

13. I have four 3'" lag bolt on both ends from the beam into the post

14. It works for what I am doing at this time, and there is not shock load on it. Plus I always support my load with saw horses and never count on the hoist to hold it.

15. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Well I'll file that away! I bet the guys on the garage journal would like it!

16. That's good, I'd hate to see anyone get hurt using cheap tools. I plan to build one of these eventually.

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

It doesn't look like a lot of room for a chain hoist between the trolley and car, has that caused any issues? Cool setup for a home shop.

18. I haven't had any problems, it is kind of tight. I will have to lower the jack stands once I get my frame notch kit in to put the body back on. I can then raise the jack stands back to ride hight when I am done.

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

which way do your trusses run, same at the I beam or across it. i ask a you could have cut the drywall and raised it alittle higher into the ceiling (assuming you do not have a two story house).

20. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

Yeah I am leery with the HF stuff now. A long time ago I was using their pipe bender, and it snapped under a load and shattered my wrist. I stopped using a lot of their tools after that.

Anyways, thanks for sharing this. I have a shop, but I already feel very cramp. I was thinking about doing something similar to this for an engine hoist since I don't really have the room to store a cherry picker.

21. I wished as that was my first thought, but they run the other way. Oh well it made the I-beam fit tighter, so I know it is solid.

22. Nathan Sharp

Nathan Sharp

23. nice setup for a garage - here's one my buddy Ray built and used a 110V hoist

Attached Files: