Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to remove overspray off of chrome.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sprout, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Sprout

Sprout

The guy I bought my Falcon from thought he was a painter and painted parts of the car. Now I have overspray on almost all the window trim and on the bumpers. My question is how do I get it gone?

2. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

A Claybar works good .........Meguiar's (Sp)makes a good one

3. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

scotch brite and some mineral spirits or lacquer thinner

4. Some lacquer thinner on a shop rag and be very careful of sparks or flame

5. roundvalley

roundvalley

Lacquer thinner and your sandwich clamp.

6. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Very fine steel wool like 000.

7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

rubbing compound or a medium polish followed by chrome polish and wax has always workd for me... or #0000 steel wool then polish&wax if its real bad

8. confederate jack

confederate jack

i kid you not, a rectangular razorblade. a brand new one!!! use one side only. it will not scratch. i promise. if you use both sides, it will leave scratches, they are cheap little sharp blades, the other side gets burrs. it will work. 000 steel wool is good also. brush cleaner removes everything and is not caustic or acidic like that kleen strip stuff is.

9. Whichever method you use, be careful with bits of stuff getting into new paint while it's still soft and curing. scotchbrite will scratch, fine steel wool doesn't scratch, but it leaves lots of tiny slivers of metal behind. A razor blade works great on glass, but again be careful of scaped off paint falling onto your new paint job; it'll melt right in if the paint is still curing.

10. I always used brake cleaner on a rag..works great for getting grease spots out of carpet, too.

11. jimmyv

jimmyv

lacquer thinner works great followed by chrome polish. Razor blade will clean up the glass.

12. Chad s

Chad s

Laquer thinner will not do much at all to remove a 2k urethane primer. I have even tried urethane reducer and it wont "melt" the stuff.

I'd take the parts off of the car, and use some aircraft stripper.

13. Tony

Tony

I use #0000 steel wool when cleaning chrome..Works great..
    At least it always has for me.
    Sometimes i'll use the #000 stuff, BUT only if needed and only in small spots that are being stubborn.
    Aside from that, a quality paint stripper if have a serious overspray problem.

Chrome is easier to scratch than most people think. SOS pads will scratch the hell out of the plating, as will course steel wool..and using the wrong scotch brite pad will do the same especially if any real pressure is used.

Razor on the glass. easy, quick and works great.

14. toddc

toddc

Bingo! And a scotchbrite WILL scratch chrome. They're what you use to brush finish with.

15. Laquer thinner

or a claybar and windex.

Anything else will scratch

16. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i have used one of those sanding sponges but a very old an dull one and then soaked in soapy water...and i mean soaked...worked really well for my, even worked on the overspray on the glass

17. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

A Claybar is the easiest way to remove without worrying about being easy on it...unless you use it dry it will not scratch

18. HHRM-John

HHRM-John

I have used oven cleaner and a plastic razor blade to effectively remove bad pinstriping jobs from cars and toolboxes, as well as overspray from windows and other areas. The fumes are terrible, though.

19. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

doesn't oven cleaner peel the actual paint as well, we have used that stuff at work to clean 40 year oil off of our machines and it takes it straight to the metal

20. zbuickman

zbuickman

shop rag and CRC green brake cleaner. if that wont touch it get some circuit board cleaner. that stuff is wickedit will eat spray painted graffiti off raw wood with out wiping it.....it just goes away:eek:

21. I would NOT advise using ANY abrasive material to remove overspray from that trim as I believe it is actually aluminum that has been clear anodized and once the anodizing has been removed,the finish will quickly deteriorate.I would try using either some white polishing compound on a thinner soaked rag(being careful not to touch the painted surfaces)and doing a small area at a time.You could also use a product called,"Heavy Oxidation Remover" which is designed to restore gel coat finish on fibreglass boats.Meguiar's and several other companies make it.About the same as polishing compound but more expensive.I use it to take striping off painted surfaces(not advisable unless you've done it before).

22. HHRM-John

HHRM-John

I know it is nasty stuff, but I don't let it sit on the paint very long at all and I have had no problems. On chrome and trim there does not seem to be an issue at all. I've removed striping from 4 different cars and overspray from two others, and so far have not had an issue, but again - I don't use alot and don't leave it on long. Maybe I have just been lucky?

23. outcasthb

outcasthb

Try bronze wool. It is like steel wool but is much softer and works great in these situations. You can use the super fine bronze wool and a little chrome cleaner or scratch remover on it and that has worked for me for years. I know that Eastwood Co carries bronze wool but you should be able to get it almost anywhere.