Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Venus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. It's a neat piece of American automotive history he's got his hands on. As I read the write-up and was struck by the dilemma of whether or not to restore the car. I mean, here's one of 2 known to exist and he's swapping in a T-5, Edelbrock intake, raising the hood scoop to clear the dual carbs.

I'm a rodder but this is a very rare car. I know it's his and he can do what he wants to, but I'll be honest - I wouldn't have the heart of stones to start modifying it. That's just me. Anybody else feel the same way?

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's different though really... his dad designed the car, so I think that gives him some creative freedom that most wouldn't have... mentally at least...

4. I can understand the family connection giving some freedom, but personally I couldn't do it. Now if there were a few hundred of them around, I'd have no hesitations. Of course, as I said, it's his car and he can do what he wants with it.

Also, it's a better looking car than a lot of the bolt on kits we've seen that mimic an AD Chevy, or that '49 Ford/T-bird thing.

5. Rem

Rem

From what I have read, he was having second thoughts about the T5 and was now going to fit a 3-speed column shift trans.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In the mid-70s there was a black Venus driving around the Eastside of Houston. Perhaps it is still around or it is the "Bellville" Venus? This car, according to the owner at the time, was based on a Lincoln chassis and had a Lincoln V8 in it. This guy lived around the Eastside in apartments in the Wayside, 69th, Polk, Harrisburg area.
    We would often see the car parked under the apartment building off of Wayside as we went to work at Specialized Auto Parts on Adams St.
    We all tried to buy the car at one time or another but the guy just wouldn't let it go even though it wasn't the most dependable ride around and had no top. We often saw him working on it in parkinglots or on the side of the road.

7. Interesting piece of history from my hometown, I'll have to ask my uncle if he remembers the Venus.

8. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

is it just me or does it seem like it prolly came out in the mid 50's?? the front bumper and splash pan look almost identical to 55 chev.. and the rear bumper looks alot like a 56 chev rear bumper.. idk.. i could just be seein things.. anyone else see it???

9. Seems to me that he's going back to the 3spd. He is bringing the hood back to stock height...

The T-5 was to make highway driving more practical, but IMO I don't really see a rarity (1 of 2 known?!!) getting much freeway time.

My impression is that he wants to keep it period correct, so the flatty bolt-on's should be right at home. I hope for his sake that the Pebble Beach white-glove types don't pick apart a car that was restored and primarily assembled at home.

Well worth the read, makes me feel bettter about having to re-do aspects of my projects...

10. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

EDIT: be sure to click on "The History" at the top of the page Ryan linked to.....fascinating!

He goes by "Patrick McLoad" and "Patrick/ Houston" over on the Fordbarn. He seems like a heck of a guy. I've been watching this build-up for quite a while. As was mentioned, he seems to be going back to the 3 speed. I think he has been more than conscientious about the details....just look at the build quality!

I know this means a lot to him and I think it's cool that he's willing to take the time (and some serious $$) to save some history....

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think the period-correct speed parts are acceptable. If you look at the picture of the original, it had 2x2s on it. How many people in that era were really going to go to all the trouble to strip a shoebox Ford down to the chassis, bolt on and finish a fiberglass roadster body, and then leave the flathead all stock?

The T5 wouldn't have bothered me too much, but it does open the door to a slippery slope of other modifications. If he wants driveability (and I'm all about driveability, no matter what the car is worth or how rare it is) maybe he should consider a '49 Ford overdrive. It doesn't sound like he knows much about 1950s American cars really, he might not even know one exists.

Sucks that the previous owners screwed him so hard on the initial purchase, though.

-Dave

12. Brad S.

Brad S.

Man that is just plain cool.
    That would be an interesting body to "repop" if he could do it.

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Nice read and an immense challenge but the car's styling is all over the place, I'd still have it though.

14. mcload

mcload

Just a note to thank you all for the kind remarks about the Venus and for visiting my site.

Yes, after going thru two T5 trannies, I decided to stay period correct with the 3-speed. An overdrive would have been nice, but I'm converting to 12 volts, so the orig. 6volt solenoid would have had to be converted...but I guess that could have been done. But like a previous post mentioned, I seriously doubt I'll be getting on the freeway much in this "eggshell"!! Way too many uninsured drivers out there, and parts for the Venus are hard to come by these days!

The hood scoop has been re-shaped and I am suppose to get it in a couple of weeks...can't wait! I will have to run the dual-97's without an air cleaner as there is only about 2" clearance with the air scoop.

Original photos show that my Dad had 2 Holley 94's on the manifold, which had to have been some "after-market" dual-intake head. I just wish I had a better photo of his engine!

I'm currently in the process of finishing the steering linkage, which will require a dual-ujoint from Borgeson, a bearing, and a couple of couplers. Then I have to turn my attention to making right and left windshield pillars as found on the "prototype". None of these exist as later Venus bodies apparently went to something else (with a wrap-around windshield)....I only have photos to go by. This WILL be a challenge! I also have to make the front grill from scratch, but I don't see that as being too tough.

So after I get all of these mechanical things taken care of, I can begin to finish the body. I agree the styling is somewhat wierd; I think there was something in the water back in the 50's! Just take a look at some of Harley Earl's stuff!

Thanks again guys.

Patrick McLoad/Houston

15. WOW. That was great to hear from you McLoad. Usually we just get the "I heard this and I heard that",stories. It's cool that you are a new member. Now you need to keep us posted on your progress,and with pic's! I'm still close with Darryl Roth,Eds youngest son,and he used to own two different cars his dad built. The Druid Princess and the Megacycle Transport. He sold them,and I remember telling him he would regret it. Those cars are history makers. Or at least "one offs". I wouldn't have EVER sold either one. Your lucky.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There were many, many folks in the early-mid-50s looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in specialty automobiles. The Venus and others were great early examples of this group which continued into the 60s with the Bradleys and various other VW based body conversions. Many makers offered bodies in various wheelbases for different chassis from Ford to Cadillac and even Mopars.
    It was a very interesting time in the build-it-yourself automotive hobby.

17. I'd say the Manx is probably the most sucessful one. Followed by Baja kits.

18. Brad S.

Brad S.

So are you officially a HAMBer now because this is one hell of an introduction. We won't hold "The Avenger" against you. :D

Stick around. We could use a few more oilfield type folks here.

19. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

....spreading the gospel!

I think you'll fit right in around these parts. The passion you have for your unique automobile is what you'll find throughout this board....

There is a HUGE knowledge base here....from flatheads, to 60's show rods, to things that are not even HAMB related.....

welcome aboard!

20. Just read the whole journal story. It was great. Glad to see you went with the original style tranny. Have you considered pulling a mold off the body,before you refinish it? Might be a market now,that wasn't there when it was originally built. Think about it. You could accomplish what your dad couldn't. I'm sure Kitcar Magazine might be interested in it. Kinda reminds me of the cars that Curtis built. Just not as rounded.

21. mcload

mcload

Bob:

Thanks for reading the story. You're not the first to suggest making additional bodies from mine. Truth is, I think it would be an awful lot of work and an expensive venture just to find out that no one (except maybe you) is interested in buying. There are an awful lot of kit cars available these days, many of which are much better looking than the Venus. Personally, I'd have a good Cobra kit over a Venus any day of the week (if I had a choice). But I'm neither young nor am I rich, so I'm afraid the Venus will just have to stay in the realm of 50's kit cars.

Thanks.
    Patrick

22. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I love your car and what you are doing, I'll be bookmarking the site to see your updates. This has to be the mother of all "father/son" projects!

Good luck on the project and I hope to get to see it someday.

23. BLAKE

BLAKE

Welcome to the HAMB, Patrick. I got yer email about the tranny and responded this morning - hope to see you (and the Venus!) very soon.

Hope it's OK if I bring my camera...? :D

24. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

great story,i bookmarked your site also,what a read!wonderful history lesson and a great tribute to your dad with your restoration,congrats and keep up the good work.

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Patrick, you are the man for keeping yout father's vision alive.

There used to be an antique car lot in Orlando called Rader's Relics, it was there for years, I bought my 1957 Chevy from there back in 1984. They had an awesome kit car thing in the back lot which they couldn't give away, it was like $1,000 o something. I think it was built on a 54 Chevy or Corvette frame, it had fairly big, but stylish tail fins on it and a wrap around boat style windshield. I shoulda bought the thing, oh well.

26. mcload

mcload

Thanks Nads. A Google search turned up Rader's Relics in Florida, but an article says that he sold the original (car) lot in year 2000 to make way for a gas station. Regardless, I sent an e-mail to Mr. Rader along with some Venus pics just to see if he remembers the one you mention as being a Venus. I got a reply and the car in question was a Zimmer (which doesn't look anything like a Venus). But many thanks for the tip....you just never know; could have been a Venus afterall!

Patrick McLoad
    The Venus Project

PS: I hope that as the story of the Venus becomes known through great sites such as this, that more will "come out of the woodwork" so to speak.

27. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

This is what made me decide to bring it to Ryan's attention (that and I knew the HAMB would appreciate it!). I thought- through all the connections here- that some may surface; or at least memories about the Venus....

28. mcload

mcload

The only black Venus I know of was in a photo taken in front of the "shop" located on 75th St; very near the areas you mentioned. I must say this Venus looks quite snazzy! Here is the link to that photo: (copy and paste in header)

http://www.mcload.com/TwoTone Venus.jpg

Thanks for the personal tip...that car is probably in someone's garage covered with boxes and gettin' all moldy! At least it's not rusting! No, the Bellville Venus was not black.

Patrick McLoad

PS: Sorry, haven't learned how to insert pics into posts.

29. BLAKE

BLAKE

Here 'tis...
    [​IMG]