Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scratch-built '32 roadster body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsters.com, Dec 23, 2005.

1. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

So is Covell or any of the other people procuding videos selling them as downloadable videos?

2. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Yes other metal man names are making their own videos at about $60 bucks a piece. They can really add up, but they are really in depth and of good quality. Lazze's vids are cheap and short, at about 10 mins each, but I really enjoyed watching them. The classes are always a good idea, as they say, you can learn something new every day. It's up to each person to pay attention and absorb what you can. I for one wouldn't mind taking the class just to be able to build and watch a '32 being made in a week!

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Not ta E-wheel over anyones thumbs, but if you're into learnin metalshapin,
    and ya haven't got 3-4K ta smoke, or there's no way ya could get loose for
    the three or four days, ta take the class try the online sites: www.metalshapers and the metalmeet site. It's a great time ta be around,
    as most of the information is FREE on these sites. For years, ya couldn't get
    this kinda info unless ya were chained ta indentured servitude, but today it's
    your's for the click of a button. Jus' duck the adult sandbox and political bull-
    shit, and enjoy. WARNING!, don't cuss my ass out if ya wind up spendin as
    much time, or more on these sites as ya now do on the HAMB.

Enjoy

4. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

While in the US Navy Ive taught everything from electronics, demolition, firefighting and Morse code for almost 20 years. In civilian life Ive taught several computer courses from component level repair to basic trouble shooting analysis.

Motivation is a tremendous asset but a prerequisite must be the ability to understand and absorb new terminology and concepts that the student has not been exposed to prior except maybe in magazines or on HAMB style Internet forums.
    Before taking an advanced metalshaping course Id suggest spending serious time on the Metalshapers web site as previously mentioned as an absolute minimum. If the student really wants to consider a career in the hot rod art then enroll at Wyotech or a similar level curriculum to get properly qualified for the next level. Realize that math will include geometry and trig once you get beyond the basics.

If only this level of education was around when I was a teenager my life may very well have taken a different course!

5. Now that's a nice shop, now that's a nice shop, now that's a nice shop. Somebody slap me. I could toss a coin between jerkin a load over that VS. Annabella Sciorra. Who am i kidding, nice shop, but Annabella, it's all you!

6. djmartins

djmartins

Annabella Sciorra
    Annabella Sciorra?
    *yuch*
    I'd pick the shop for sure.....

regards,
    DJ

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

I talked to him a couple of years ago at the Nats. He was setup selling his english wheels, etc.

Pretty nice guy, when he told me that his students were making duece roadster bodies in a week, I thought he was full of shit.

I guess that I was wrong.

8. Chad s

Chad s

If you go to the page with the equipment for sale, at the bottom, in fine pint they mention:

"PLEASE NOTE: We sell to students or members only, in order to ensure correct handling of the machine."

So you have to either take the class to learn to use the machine (somewhat understandable, Id take the class, then go buy a more affordable machine), or...

you can pay him an $89 yearly fee to be a member, and that makes you just as qualified...

Seems a bit rediculous to me.

9. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

I have a freind just a mile from here, who is around 60 years, he went to those classes and had so much fun he could`t believe it.
    Very nice place and people, the only thing he wasn`t too happy about was some of the students wich had some crazy idea of them knowing more about everything than Lars himself does.. it allways slows down a class..

He has some nice roadster quarter panels that he made in that class.
    Very nice quality..

10. They are doing awsome metal shaping work, Im still glad i went to Wyotech cuase nto only did learn metal shaping (probably not on the leve Lazze teaches) i alos learned frame construction suspension set up engines and electrical.

I alos got ATRA (automatic transsimission rebuliders ascoitation) certifed, Alldata certfied and EPA AC cert as well.

But if all you want to do is metal shaping that looks kick ass.

11. bones35

bones35

So what is the magic ruber band, is this how he keeps the metal from geting scratched thats all i can think cause all those panals are beatifull.

12. CycloneRods

CycloneRods
    from NE Ohio

WOW.... like my dad always used to say..... it's all about the tools. Those guys have all the tools and a great deal of talent to boot!

13. Tony

Tony

Very impressive!

I honestly wish i had the scratch to lay down for the classes..
    I'd love to attend..

Maybe someday.

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

all the talent and promoting in the world doesn't mean jack shit unless you start producing bodies that people have paid in advance for !

15. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

wow... looks like they know how to keep their shops clean, too... lol...

16. Skimmer

Skimmer

Fabulously talented students but think how talented the teachers are ....

17. Mike

Mike

So, after completing an 11 day course, I'll be able to in a few days do what I've watched an experienced metal man take 1.5 years to do? Cool!

Or wait, how many 11 day couses have those 4 guys taken?

Oh well, they have a nice shop and they sell nice jackets.

18. Brickster

Brickster

Lazzes' wheeling machine is by far the best one available! And his bead roller is about a million times better than anything else on the market. I wish I had either one.

19. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

The rubber band is to keep track marks to a minimum while forming quickly. Some people use go-cart tires as the top wheel for the same reason.

20. Brickster

Brickster

You should take Lazze's course as well. No trainging is ever meant to be the only thing that you will ever need in life. Lazze takes a totally different approach to shaping than what you do here (Wyotech). We have been greatly influenced by Fay's teachings and tend to use methods he has introduced us to.

21. tisdelski

tisdelski

hi guys.

the rubber band (used like a go-kart slick) is used for BENDING not stretching , the rubber band or kart slick will not make a compound curve.
    i disagree that lazze`s wheel is the best by far, it looks to be a good wheel (overpriced for sure) but i`d put a imperial, www.wheelingmachines.com up against lazze`s.
    lazze`s bead roller really is a thing of beauty, but again his prices are outrageous.
    not to knock anything about lazze; his products appear to be well made, he seems to have a good reputation, his students (and him) have built some great things, but.... you can learn everything that he teaches at metalmeet for next to nothing. if you attend metalmeet in illinois you can get hands on for up to 7 days for 100$ registration whether you stay 1 day or all 7.
    www.metalmeet.com
    gary

p.s. who`s annabella sciorra ? please post pics !!!!!

22. Brickster

Brickster

23. tisdelski

tisdelski

hi brickster,

i`d like to see an e-wheel comparison with each builder stressing the reasons for his design and why his is better. for example; one is a kick wheel adjuster , one is a upper adjuster. one has anvils with contacts, one has a true radius set. one has a wider upper wheel , one has a thinner upper. what is the stiffness of each wheel in both directions. also you need to know what kind of panels you`ll be making to get the correct wheel. larger panels are easier made on larger wheels (more contact area) . are the panels being made from steel or aluminium ? a real stiff frame is not needed for doing soft metals, but a flimsy frame for wheeling steel can downright aggrivating.

gary

24. Chad s

Chad s

I was mainly commenting about the strange policy of only selling to students or club members. Just seems redicuous. If someone was an experienced metalworker, and they wanted one of his machines, they obviousely dont need his class, which he understands, so he cant get a few thousand out of you there, but he can get 90 bucks by making them join his club first, thats bullshit.

25. autocol

autocol

sorry chad. it's commerce. hell, it's america! you guys basically invented capitalism!!!

as for the rubber band, it's kinda like using a kart slick. basically, it only forms the material in one curve (which really means it's bending it). say you wanted to make a trans-tunnel (half of a tube). a standard hard top-wheel would give you half a donut. a kart slick, or rubber band, gives you the long, straight, single curvature.

...if you know what you're doing. i don't! :D

26. tisdelski

tisdelski

hi autocol,
    actually tha kart slick isn`t hard to use, just go slow. here`s a pic. of my first attempt with the kart slick. the surface is actually smoother than it looks in the pic. (i DA`d the part because it got some surface rust on it and now it looks wavy in the pics.)
    someone commented about the part being shiny as you wheeled it , the surface of the upper wheel gets imprinted on your part as you wheel it. if your upper wheel is clean and polished it will actually shine your part as you wheel it. if your upper wheel is dinged and scratched it imprints scratches on your part. just like a printing press.

gary

Attached Files: