Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Daily Driver Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

How is putting yourself in debt the "responsible" thing to do????

You made the right choice.....
    The "stress" from city driving an old car is easily outweighed by the thumbs up from others and the affect that an old car has on the senses.....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's just a great looking car... I wouldn't take it to the salvage yard to load up parts, but I'd drive it daily!!! Nice job Ryan!

4. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

You set an example for the rest of us.

5. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

You have it made...

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I'm sure jealous... wish I had time to get something going that I could drive daily as my "modern" daily car is on its last leg...

thanks for the inspiration
    Zach

7. awesome...ya gotta drive 'em...by the way can you pick up some milk on the way home

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been at it for over a year as well. I think you got the '39 soon after I got the F1 home and on the road. (last November) If you remember I had a lot of electrical issues last winter. I finally got that stuff worked out and everything has been fine.

I'll be taking notes on the iPod install. Planning to do some pretty serious highway miles this coming year so I'll need music.

9. big bad john

big bad john

.......Your a lucky man......get to ride a cool car all year round....I've got a 39 coupe thats on the road about 8 months......Damm snow and salt keeps inside in the winter in Wisconsin......Glad that motor overhaul is working out for you......really enjoyed your last adventure road trip.....Big Bad John

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

why couldn't you have made the 38 a daily driver? do you still have it.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I love your rush hour traffic.:D I'm like you. I get nervous as shit when I get caught in traffic. There is nothing like cruising down the road in an old car.

12. BLAKE

BLAKE

Nice read, Ryan.

Re: the glass, nothing worse than dreading/delaying a job unnecessarily... the voice of experience here :)D)... shout if you need a hand.

13. dudley32

dudley32

Who's the song by ??

14. Racrdad

Racrdad

Great story, have enjoyed the posts about the rebuild. The video and song at the end was the icing on the cake. Wonderful, just wonderful.

15. mustang552

mustang552
    BANNED

goddam, brought a tear to my eyes! i used to look over my dad's shoulder when he was driving his 41 ford. I always watched the guages, see if it was going 70 or what. Had mud roads then, I can stilll hear that flathead V8 singin' as the old man cused, my mom prayed, that we would make it home without getting stuck. So much for religion.

16. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

An old saying... "The difference between adversity and adventure is attitude".

I drove (and owned) only old cars for over thirty years. I also had the good fortune to live in rural or small towns most of my life. Americans are so connected to their cars that the type of car actually affects our attitude more than we know. Today's cars isolate us from all natural sounds and atmosphere. Bikers understand that. And if you're open to it, driving a nice old car seems to heighten your senses while slowing down your pace. Just let all those leased Beemers sail on by in cell phone bliss.

Of course we're talkin' about a well sorted, reasonably maintained old car like that '39. A POS of any year is still a POS and hurts the mind!

17. Dave Ramsey would be proud of you! Payments are gay.

And you need a radio..........gotta listen to Sean Rima on the Big Talker!

18. The Gambler

The Gambler

Thanks for a great read, and bringing back memories of my old daily drivers.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I wish we still lived in the same town.

Gas would cost me around $200 a week to drive that thing daily... and, it doesn't have a back seat. I take my kids to school in the morning.

I'm so taking you up on that.

Steve Earle

20. I Drag

I Drag

D.O.D. = Drive Old Daily

21. cruzr

cruzr

I drive my coupe every day, thats what they are for.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's an enjoyable read. As even my wife's daily is old by most peoples standards I full and well understand the enjoyment of driving the older car or truck on a daily basis.

23. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Man that video gave me goose bumps. Love the vibe - driving an old car in a light rain watching stuff go by on a cool old road listening to a great song. Makes me want to drive, draw, write or put on some music right now. Nice job.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Was that Ryan Adam singing along to your ride? What album?

Anyways, That's what I'm building my '35 for and you're leading the way with a torch my friend. I want a car that I can get in and feel comfortable driving to work, blockbuster, mexican food into the mountains etc ya know? Awesome!

25. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Awesome story and great video! My dream is to have nothing but old vehicles for my wife and me. Once my '54 is on the road and the kinks are worked out, I'll be selling my newer truck... can't wait.

26. axle

axle
    from Drag City

"Less is more" . Man, What a good looking car.

27. That awesome Ryan. I drove my '56 Chevy wagon to school everyday to high school for 3 years. ('00-'02) Rain or shine it was on the road. Nothing makes me happier than driving an older car. My wife doesn't get it, but you hit the nail on the head when you said it's calming and makes you happy. That's what it's all about.

28. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

Sweet........

29. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had a job.........
    If I drove to work........
    If I had to drop the kids at school........

That would be the best way to do it :D

30. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

If you can...drive em!
    Nice read!