Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragster preservation Dead End Kids

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rexrogers, Nov 14, 2009.

1. rexrogers

rexrogers

This is a AA dragster that is owned by the Dave Crouse he has had this car for nearly 20 years. the car was orgionaly the Dead End Kids dragster. When i get all the detail info down i will post more. The car is in the shop now for some metal finishing and a little preservation work for the rest of it Dave plans on taking the car out the roadster show in January.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. rick finch

rick finch

3. oj

oj

That is just incredible, WOW! That car has to be a lot older than 20yrs, tell us more of the story. I hope there isn't too much metal finishing and leave off the paint please. I would stick a fork in that one right now, the odd misalignment adds authenticity. Thanks for posting this.

4. How cool is that.....thanks for sharing brother......looking forward to seeing this piece of 1320 history when done.

5. that is beautiful! if you pull the skin, please post pics.

6. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

"Rapid" Red Lang!

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

9. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

The REAL DEAL there! Where was it raced?

10. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

As the name implies, the car was based in NYC.

11. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

12. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

The Dead End Kids were a Top Fuel dragster team from the streets of Brooklyn, N.Y. Red Lang, Spider Razon and Joe Anahory grew up together and eventually formed a formidable team that despite its unlikely origins became a formidable force in the 1960s at drag strips from Sanford, Me. to Long Beach, Calif. In 1963, the trio bought a Tommy Ivo chassis and began touring the country using a 1950 Chrysler limousine as a tow car. They were one of a handful of race teams to beat Don “The Snake” Prudhomme during the Greer, Black and Prudhomme dragster’s incredible winning streak in 1963. Their car even made the cover of Popular Science magazine. Anahory and Razon eventually moved to California and worked closely with Don Alderson in the development of his Milodon racing components. Lang was the first NHRA Division 1 Top Fuel champion, winning the title in 1965 and ’66. Red retired from dragster racing in the early ’70s and briefly dabbled in Funny Cars before retiring from the sport completely.

13. So cool to see these old cars saved.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I remember seeing them in 1964 at Cecil County Dragway when I was stationed at Aberdeen,Md just before shipping out to Germany.

15. rexrogers

rexrogers

That is a great shot of the original car. We are missing the front wing and the paint was removed when Dave bought the car. the plan is for right now take care of some of the cracks in the body and a few dents need to be removed. the headers need to be changed out and a list of other items to get the car back to where it was. When we get to pulling the skin off i will update the thread and will include a good number of shots of the car. The car has been in bare metal for the last 20 years and will probably stay that way unless someone buys the car from Dave and finishes the restoration.

Rex

16. RICKY MCGREGOR

RICKY MCGREGOR
    from wichita ks

SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT,I like it.

17. 31modelo

31modelo

That dragster in bare metal is just sexy.

18. rexrogers

rexrogers

the car in bare metal is great but to insure that are racing heritage is preserved the car really should be painted agin and the history of the car known.

Rex

19. The FIRST top fuel dragster that I laid eyes on. Pocono Drag Lodge 1963. (I think)Had the pleasure of meeting Red a few years ago.

20. Dragsters of that era are pure art! ....Art that makes some pretty cool smoke and thunder.

[​IMG]

21. That's a 1963 photo in post #13 taken at Atco, NJ. As I recall it was a match race booking, but I can't remember who Red ran against that day. I do remember him coming back to the pits dripping in oil, and in his best Brooklyn acent, complaining to the crew that someone had left something loose on the motor...
    "cuz I'm fu**in' covered all over in earl".

22. slammed

slammed

23. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

24. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

That is completely bitchin'! From all the magazines and photos, I was always struck that they ran weedburners for longer than almost everyone else and still remained competetive.

[​IMG]

This was from 1965- long after nearly everyone else had switched to zoomies...

25. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

All i can say is wow!!!

26. Thrillbilly

Thrillbilly
    from Joplin,MO

Looks like it came out of a time capsule. Beautiful car!!

27. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

These guys were honored a couple yrs ago at the HRR in B/G .great group!
    I believe one of the members sadly passed away right after the Bowling Green event!

28. brocluno

brocluno

Nice end for the digger, someone who cares :) Glad it was not cut up long ago :)

Nice shot of the TASCA Ford. Raced one like it back in the day. Heavy, but if you got the weight transfer right they'd come out of the hole hard :)

29. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Damn, now I have to change my digger plans again! I see so many I like, but this is the one. Proud to see it in good hands. Amazing that it stayed intact this long without changes.

And yes, those Galaxies could leave the line very hard when set up properly. My Dad's '63 1/2 is just a 390 tri-power car and it'll leave with some of the best 'em. It's all about weight transfer and not blowing the tires off. Steven.