Register now to get rid of these ads!

disc brake on a 1940 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txskinney, Mar 21, 2009.

1. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

I am putting disc brake on the front of a 40 Ford coupe. Anybody know of a good master cly. to use that will work with the original brake pedal assembly.

2. i'm not aware of any modern dual master cylinder that will bolt to the `40 ford brake pedal. Chassis Engineering make an adapter to use a ford mustang type MC...goes from two bolt on the MC to three bolt on the brake pedal mount

hard to say for sure what master cylinder to use without more info , buy i'd check out a `68-`72 ford mustang disc/drum

3. txskinney--I can't help you out on the cylinder, but I'm curious about the disc brake swap. My model A is running 1940 Ford front spindles and drums, and I want to change it over to discs this summer. Are you using an all inclusive "kit" to do the change over, or doing it peicemeal?----Brian

4. I used a 69-70 Mustang manual brake dual reservoir master cylinder with the afore mentioned adapter on my '39. Really easy install. I'm using a 40 pedal set as I'm using a 40 tranny and column.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009

5. I think Chassis Enginering makes an adapter that bolts to the 40 bracket that alows you to use a late model cylinder.It use to cost about $25 , May be higher now.

6. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

Brian, I am using a Speedway brake kit. I have drawing of the brackets and bearing adapter needed to put GM disc on 1940 Ford front spindles. But you can buy the speedway cheaper than buying the rotors calipers and having the brackets cut and the adapter made. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I was not sure who made an adapter so I made one and tried a Mustang master cly. and it too tall hits the floor. I would like to not cut the floor. <o:p></o:p>

7. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have 71 Mustang front disc's (home made conversion) and a 9" rear. I adapted a 71 Mustand duel MC to my petals with a homemade adapter ( hours of work for something you can buy off the shelf). I have a adjustable proportioning valve and check valves in the lines.

8. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

is your master cly below your floor

9. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Yep same as in my 40 frame.

10. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

does your master cly clear your floor or did you cut it to clear.

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I both bought and made an adapter and used a 70's master cyl in several 40's works slick

12. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

that is great to hear i will cut the floor so i can fill and clear the master cly.

13. sawzall

sawzall

I made my own adapter for the master cyl assembly.. i am using a master cylinder that matches the rear axle in my car.. because I am running 4 wheel discs it made sense.. my adapter is very similar to a chassis engineering adapter. (which can be bought every day of the week)
    additonally many many moons ago when I first converted my straight axle to discs I took these photos of the eci kit installation

pardon the photo quality as these were "GOOD" quality in 1999.

here:
    http://public.fotki.com/sawzallshop/portfolio-2/eci_disk_brake_inst/

14. Sawzall---was it necessary to cut off the stock steering arm and add a bolt on steering arm to use this disc brake kit?--I see in your gallery that is what you did.---Brian

15. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

a long time ago i had 40 ford spindles on a car and used a TCI kit to do the conversion. it bolted right up, steering arms etc. were all fine and could be used.

as someone else has mentioned you can use the converter piece, (part no.14078 from sacramento vintage ford) from all the early ford suppliers and bolt up an early 70s mustang MC.

sacramento vintage ford do a similiar piece except they have extended the mount for the MC and its about 7 inches long which allows the MC to be placed under the floor where the battery is so there is no need to cut the floor as there is already a cut out which allows access to the battery. its similiar idea to the one on the chassis engineering site on page 61 - part no. AS2051/AS2052

16. sawzall

sawzall

brian

no.. this required No new steering arms. the bolts you see (and spacers) were part of the kit that eci offered (offers?)

this was my first incarnation of the 40.. it had a straight axle with stock spindles and disc brakes added.. I removed a few leaves from the front spring and added a reverse eye main leaf..

we ran that way for about 3 years before I had the scratch to go further..

FUN!

17. Brian, I have some close-up pics of 68-70 Mustang discs and a little later era Camaro discs on solid axle highboy roadsters.

As well as a Mustang/Torino type dual M/C install and novel return spring.

Rather than highjack this thread, I can put em up in a separate post if you like.

18. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I think I used the ECI kit to adapt a 69-72 Mustang master cylinder in place of the original under-the-floor unit. I am not running a booster. I found that once it was installed it was very difficult to get the 'swing clamp' off of the MC to be able to check/add to the fluid. The original small hole in the floor also would only allow you to see in half the MC at best if you could get the lid off. I ended up cutting out the hole in the floor so it was large enough to easily remove the MC cover and get access to the MC. I still need to find some more attractive cover for that...

Jay

19. C9---Please do---I can use all the knowledge available before I tackle this job. Forewarned is forearmed.---Thanks---Brian

20. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

c9 you do not have to start a new thread we all can use the knowledge.

21. lowtemp

lowtemp
    from Atlanta

If I install a front disk brake conversion kit on my '40 ford standard coupe, will I be able to get adapters to allow me to continue to use the original 16" (600-16) wheels and tires on front? Thank you in advance, Scott

22. papastoyss

papastoyss

I have a 47 ford , I used the above mentioned adapter w/ a master cyl . from a Mustang II w/o power brakes & the car stops fine.

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

When you change your 40 over to discs will the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface be the same as the original 40 or will it be BIGGER or smaller? Thanks, jim

24. lowtemp

lowtemp
    from Atlanta

I contacted Speedway and got this great reply on aftermarket wheels and if they will work with disk brake conversion kits. "Thanks for contacting Speedway for your hot rod needs.
    You inquired about our disc brake kit with the 5 ½&#8221; bolt pattern and its compatibility with the OEM 16&#8221; wheels. You visited with Coker and they advised that their reproduction OEM style wheels will work with disc brakes and generally this is considered correct. On the other hand you then again mentioned OEM wheels and they will NOT generally work as they will hit the caliper before they are bolted in place. The original wheels wrap around the brake drum inward after leaving the bolt surface and will not clear the calipers. Aftermarket disc brake compatible wheels are flatter as they extend outwards from the bolt surface to allow for the required caliper clearance. If you have your original wheels simply set a ruler on the back side and from the bolt surface outward there can be no more than ½&#8221; drop inward or there will be caliper clearance problems. You will need to extend more than the 12&#8221; standard ruler length as the rotors are 113/4&#8221; and the caliper extends past the rotor another 1 ¼&#8221;. Hopefully this will help enlighten."

25. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I have disc brakes on the front of my 39 and I am running 39 Lincoln 15 wheels and everything seems to be ok. I have a 60's GM master cylinder under the floor and I made my own adapter. It was not that hard and it brakes good.

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for asking this.

Typically, disc brakes widen the track by a little bit. I'd consider discs if I could find a conversion or kit that did NOT widen the track whatsoever. Does this exist?

27. txskinney

txskinney
    from West Texas

it did widen the track but did not cause any problems. I repaced the wheels with ones from Rally America worked great