Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Cadillac transmission options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Javier, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

looking to buy a 1959 cadillac coupe deville with a bad hydramatic tranny.do i have other tranny options that will bolt up.powerglide?

2. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Not without an adapter.

3. GaryM

GaryM

4. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

thanks for the info guys.havent established the actual problem with the tranny in the car but most likely it will need to be replaced.keep yall posted

5. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

thanks Coldwar ill check them out

6. Cirilian

Cirilian

Those trannys are very problematic and expensive to rebuild. If the car is in decent shape, you should just let me buy it and save yourself all the future headaches!!

7. A dual coupling Hydro is problematic?

56-64 Caddy transmissions should all interchange into the car, just FWIW. Some Pontiac and Olds work as well.

8. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

thanks rustynewyorker ill look into it

9. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

theres always that chance Ill sell it.ill et you know

10. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Those trannys are not problematic at all if you've done them before. We just restored our buddy's 59 Cad convert, and the trans is working just fine after the overhaul.

11. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

thanks 33udor.not to worry cause im not getting worried.just looking for ideas.this will be my first Cadillac so Im very excited

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Cadillac TH400 transmissions from 65-67 should bolt up, but not without some difficulty. Main issue is the starter, the TH400 I believe used a block mounted starter, where the 59 Hydramatic had a bell housing mounted starter. You will need to do something with the transmission mount, driveshaft, and column linkage. Also will need a kickdown switch and wiring at carb.

Might just look into getting the hydramatic rebuilt and be done.

13. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

thanks d2 willys im looking into and that may be my route .who knows.hopefully the tranny it will work fine with only an adjustment.will see.turned the crank today.not frozen thank god

14. Cirilian

Cirilian

Glad to hear the motor turns freely!

15. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

thanks Cirilian I was very relieved.everything falling in place.I have a carb in the garage to replace the original until I rebuild it.Ive got chrome smoothies with the right bolt pattern in new wide whites to get it rolling again.life is good right now I tell you.

16. el spanky72

el spanky72
    from ATX

hey dude, i may have a line on a good used trans for that caddy if you end up needing one, give me a shout....

17. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

thats great news.ill be in touch

18. rivguy

rivguy

My 56 Cad tranny went bad just as I was deciding to sell it. The value of my car went from 3,500.00 bucks (the offer I turned down) to basically zip. I listed the car as non running and there were no takers except for one guy who offered me 500.00. I asked around the local transmission shops and no one wanted to rebuild the transmission, AAMCO, etc. didn't want anything to do with it. Or they would say that they couldn't quote me a firm price it was parts and labor rate. I called Cadillac King in Pacoima and they said, give them a credit card number and they would build a core for me that I could pick up when ready and drop off my old one. I pulled my trans out, a weekI later drove down and made the exchange. It wasn't cheap ( somwhere around 15 hundred bucks ) but it worked like new. A lot of shops don't want to work on old Hydramatics. By investing in the tranny I managed to at least break even when I sold it, Why did I sell the Cad? Because I could only keep one car and I kept my Riv.