Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A rear buggy spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Diamondhead, Jan 6, 2009.

1. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Could you send some pictures?

2. I've posted this before, but here it is again for this thread.
    I built my own spring spreader for use on stock and reversed eye, Model A Rear spring.
    The amount of pressure to spread a rear Model A spring is tremendous and you cannot over build a spring spreader. I would not try and assemble a spring with just a piece of threaded rod under the car. Take the time to do it right and don't hurt yourself.
    HemiDeuce.

Attached Files:

3. Diamondhead

Diamondhead
    from Kentucky

HemiDeuce, that is a nice looking spring spreader. I expecially like the way you made it clamp to the spring. What angle did you build the spreader at and couldn't you use a straight pipe instead of an angle bracket? Does the angle provide clearance around the rear housing? I plan on making a spreader for myself. There are a couple of us around here that have model A's and it sure would be handy. So any pointers you have would be appreciated.

4. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I agree. Give him the details so I can use it too! HEE! HEE! (Sorry Rick, couldn't resist.)

5. BigChief

BigChief

The 47" perch centers suggest that a OEM spring may have had its eyes reversed....thus the relocated perch locations. When the next unsuspecting person came along with a stock length (or otherwise longer) spring it was too long for the application. You can keep the spring perches right where they are (if they are welded/positioned correctly) and move your spring eyes in/reverse them or just go buy a shortened Posies SuperSlide for the rear and be done with it.

-Bigchief.

6. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

this is exactly how i do it.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Most readily available threaded rod is crap, but good stuff is available via industrial supply places like MSC. I would still replace with an actual spring bolt, and remember you need the square locater in crossmember or you're going to be breaking parts soon. If locater or bolt fails, stuff starts moving and crossmember starts cracking.
    Dug into the parts books and service bulletins; as I suspected, there is no spec published for eye to eye in relaxed spring, and I think it would be meaningless anyway.
    There were several pictures of different model A rear springs, and ALL showed the sharp-V overall look in relaxed form. No dimension given for that, but it was obvious that all would be far shorter than perch span when relaxed.

8. I've just measured the perch widths on a stock 31 Roadster and they are 48" centres.
    This is on an Aussie RHD car, so could be why they are different to the US ones, anyone else??

9. Lono

Lono

diamondhead.. hows your build coming?

10. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

For assembly and disassemble use some c clamps and threaded rod.Install main leaf first and stack is the way to go, spring spreaders are for a few inches only.just make sure to reinstall the proper hard wear for the center bolt.good luck post mor pics of the work...

11. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Great info. here thanks guys.
    Hey- A Chopped Coupe where did you get the rear backing plates very cool.....Thanks

12. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

sorry to drag this thread up from the dead, but i was doing a bit of research to help with my project and felt i had some useful information to add.

my car also has perches at a narrower measurement than 49-1/2", i make mine at exactly 48-1/4".

its a '31 tudor sedan, has a 10-leaf spring, and the spring measures 39-1/2" eye to eye relaxed. everything is in fine condition, and definately isnt worn or damaged, and hasnt been messed with in the past. maybe they changed out the setup later in production for a 1" narrower setup?