Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flashback - Name Your Vintage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I was amazed at all the guys that are still around and posting on a regular basis,,,,

For myself I have always liked the simple style cars and trucks,,,from the 30's look thru to the early 60's. HRP

A quote from Don Dillard,,,,,

As someone else here said, money can buy a lot of things but it can't buy good taste. If someone has good taste, they can build a car from any era and it will look right. The guy with no taste might get it right if he's lucky and/or has influential friends with good taste.

3. jerry

jerry

Does that bring back some memories!

jerry

4. I was still an unregistered lurker back then, but I remember that post.

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Have to go with the 50s & 60s. Not much into customs though I will admit a hammered 50 Merc does look right, but a fenderless 29 on 32 rails screams Hot Rod.

Have to say I lean towards the Gassers, Altereds and early Altered Wheelbase Match racers.

6. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

wow... what a strange layout :D... i saw a few people that posted on that are still common posters now!!

7. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Hmmmmm, my thoughts are definitely toward the older stuff such as might be seen on the dry lakes and at the very early cruise spots. Stuff like the Rufi roadster, Vic Sr.'s roadster, Sam's Merc, Steck's Chev - stuff like that.

But, then I really like the customs that come out of D'Augustino and the hot rods of Lobeck and Greening and most especially, the stuff the Dan Webb is doing. Simply the best.

I guess, I'm a man of all seasons, although some of the stuff from the mid-seventies was a little far out there. Otherwise, I'm happy to be on the right side of the dirt and still enjoying the hobby. My hope is that when they are shovelling the dirt down on me that my last thought before I checked out was "Jeez, what am I going to build next!"

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My answer to the original question hasn't changed. I'm driving my roadster now and I stayed true to my vision. Late 40s early 50s.

I'm working on a 56 Ford right now. Around here 56 Fords are always done as mild customs with tube grills etc. Boring for me. I'm building this one more like a 56 Chevy than a Ford. It'll have a bad ass lumpy cam and sit tall in the saddle. So my one and only shot at building a late 50s custom will be gone forever.

One thing I find amusing is that we had only been on that site for about a month...Rocky only had 410 posts! I miss reading Rocky and SamIam among others.

9. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Wish I had posted on that thread, and I'm suprised I didn't. I had only been here a couple of years, or so, and I felt like I was in the minority for not liking the post War hot rods best. I've always liked the late 50's-early 60's style best.

Cool entry. I like seeing the old HAMB.

10. Funny, my little bro was registered back then.......he might have still been in highschool at that point?

11. wow...lol...funny thing is, I still do prefer the 40's-50's stylings ...before it got crazy like it did in san francisco(yikes!).. have always frefered clean lines and good proportions. maybe that's why I love classic modern furniture and architecture...hmmmm

12. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Some of my favorite stuff to look at is a late 40's style, like a 32 roadster, ready for the lakebeds. I really liked the black roadster loudpedal built not too long ago. Although for what I want to build and drive, its got to be early 60's styled 30-34 Ford built with a liberal dose of drag racing. No fenders, slicks and big on HP.

13. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

Ahhh, the good ol' days.

14. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I'm shocked I didn't post as well... I vaguely remember that thread...

I think I would have said Westergard/Bert customs.... I wasn't really into hot rods back then. Hadn't really 'discovered' the nuances of the Spencer roadster yet.

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I hadn't "found" the HAMB at that point.....no computer...hehe.

Favorite timeframe???? Hmmmm.....that's a tough one....

Customs- As much as I dig early 60's MILD customs....I'd have to say 40's style, and Westergard cars in particular as my fav.....but the Matranga '40 Merc is top dog.

Hotrods- that's even a tougher call, as I really love early, prewar drylakes racing....but I'd say I like late 50's-early 60's the best. And a fav of the era would be the Tognotti '32....it just has a cetain "presence" that I'm drawn to, even if it has a few quirky features....which is funny, since I much prefer the proportions of Model A's.....

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sam F. will chime-in in...1...2...3...

The good ole days when 50% of the homepage was off topic cuz I was too busy going to school to moderate effectively. Charming and entertaining for sure though...

Attached Files:

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's still early for me to really nail it down as I am still learning something new about each era everyday. But I do prefer the simplicity of early fifty's hot rods and customs. Sam Barris's own emerald green merc is perfection. As for hot rods, I like them purposeful and simple also. It's hard to nail one down as my favorite though.

18. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

And that's being generous. Even the "Charlie Price" and "Old cars for advertising" threads that you didn't mark were most likely boaderline on topic at best.

I loved the HAMB back then, or I wouldn't have stayed around. But there is definatly more talent, more info. and more inspiration on todays board, without question. It is natural to feel nostalgic about the beginnings of something cool. But let's not kid ouselves about what the "old" HAMB was, or wasn't.

19. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

And the time difference between the newest post and oldest post on the first page was 5 hours!

Damn 4-01. I joined in 3-01 and the host was www.insidetheweb.com.

That must have been the first redesign after that and the one that didn't last too long with that host.

I remember the HAMB disappeared fer a short time after that.

20. ahahahah! ryan, I remember seeing those exact topics! heheh, yeah, there was alot of great info there...lol....MUD...forgot about him

21. Well Ryan,it's cool to know,i'm not alone in not really being into customs,although this place is slowly converting me. Prefer 40s and 50s hot rods,but now,a few clean subtle customs are catching my interest,although pre 40s cars there too.;)

22. I have to agree with buzzard here...the new board certainly has alot more information..almost too much to keep up with...I have sooo many bookmarked pages...but the same applied then as it does today: if you needed help, you got it. This hokey ass message board will be in tomorrow's history books for sure.

23. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I guess I "imprinted"in the 50's.I use to go down to the drugstore and read the little books.I'd score some and I still have them.My Brother read Hot Rod ,so I'd look it over when it came in.
    Anyway,that was the style I always liked.
    I went into bikes big time and then one day I had to take a client to Ken Gross's house to look at his bike.He was working on a 32 roadster with an Ardun motor.It was kind of like seeing an old girlfriend or something,the passion was back.I started going to the Rodders Reunion in Ky.
    I came across this site and that was like getting a final push back.I later scored a nice period piece from a fellow Hamber.It looks like something built in 1950.
    I dig early customs too_Of course,I'd dig more garage space too.......

24. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I miss the old HAMB!... I choked Linda Lovelace & Fat girls with tattoos - that's funny.

- Joe

25. Back then I was just lurker because of the flaming that seemed to keep me away and over at Fordbarn. Tman kept after me to jump in and get my feet wet, and I haven't been sorry I did. Like Ryan has said recently, the site has much more content on it now than ever before.

I like the post war era for both Hot Rods and Customs. I recently have been reading the few old Hot Rod magazines I've collected from 1950-1956 and I find that I like most of the cars in them, especially the Bonneville and lakes coverage. Wally Parks did a fantastic job writing and editing that magazine, and laying the foundation for everything we have now. His editorials show history as it was being made. Don Francisco did some great tech articles too.

My favorite Hot Rods, Deuces of course! The Doane Spencer, Vic Edelbrock, Joe Nitti, McGee/Scritchfield roadsters were the best. The Pearson Brothers '34 and '36 coupes were the cream of the crop too.

Customs aren't my passion but anything Harry Westergard did works for me. Sam and George Barris's early work is great too.

26. that is ol skool with a report card with bad grades
    and detention for those with a stubborn attitudes

LIVIN IN THE PAST ... JETHRO TULL

THEM GOOD OL DAYS ARE SELECTED MEMORIES

any pics from 20's 30's 40's50's is way cool
    I start to have my own rodding memories about 62-66

HAMB EVOLUTION
    IS NOW HAMB REVOLUTION
    VIVA THE REVOLUTION!

27. duste01

duste01

I'm just basking in a wealth of knowledge and friendship, but I like things that arent popular and I like cleanliness, and I like detail. Crisp lines and a healthy smile to share it all with.

28. MattStrube

MattStrube

I dig that little Chevy II that used to be on the Board. Where did that thing go?

29. 53chevy

53chevy

The HAMB was definitely fun back then...and Marcus, talk about a character (u could die laughing reading some of his responses).

Ken

30. Whoa that takes me back!

Hot rod: any 30s/40s/50s lakes 28/29 roadster on deuce rails :D

Kustom: any kustom sitting in the background of a 30s/40s/50s lakes picture, or at the Santa Ana drags:cool:

-Shiny