Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ferrari Shoot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I get it, most certainly I get it! Passion was mentioned earlier, thats exactly it. The passions expressed regarding the three vehicles is only matched by your obvious passion of literary art, Ryan.
    Very impressive article, thanks for sharing it with us. You have a gift with words and expression.

2. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

Ryan -

This is part of the reason I love this place. While most here I think are very narrow minded about what a hot rod is and should be. You have to open your mind and realize that, almost any car can be a hot rod, whether it's traditionally styled or not. does that mean that this forum should be about turbo charged b-16 powered honda crx's, NO! But you need to recognize them as hot rods, small light car, bigger motor than it was designed for, and getting rid of the fluff that doesn't make it go faster, stop quicker or handle better.

Sorry for the rant, all I really want to say is thanks for sharing.

3. Ryan,

As always a very insightful article. I couldn't agree more about our foundations and that marques like Ferrari are hot rods in their own right. Also, I believe the traditions of European coachbuilding and innovation are similar in many ways to the ones that we follow. All to make an automobile faster, more beautiful, or both. We are all gearheads and the machinery from Europe has just as many fine examples as the ones here.

I wish that I could someday add a car like a Ferrari to my stable, but unfortunately the ones I want just keep getting more out of site. However if any of you want to buy a great one, Steve McQueen's Ferrari 250 Lusso, is up for sale.

See the pics below.

http://homepage.mac.com/mrakdesign/PhotoAlbum7.html

Its all about the Passion.

4. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

It seems out of place with when you look at the pics of the 575, and probably fits the coupe better, but I've always loved this quote.

"Aerodynamics... are for people who can't build engines".

- Enzo Ferrari (1967)

:)

5. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

my intial reaction whenever hearing or reading or seeing ferraris is that of the stereotypical ferrari driver and how super expensive they are and how little they are actually driven the way they were built to be driven but then I think about it logically and like was mentioned in the article ignore the cost and the fact I will never be able to afford one or the usual drivers of Ferraris and they are beautiful cars that balance the beauty and the mechanics of the cars they have great build quality they sound excellent and perform great. I can see both sides why people hate them and the associations with Ferrari and I can also see the attraction. And those 12 cylinder cars have always been my favorite ferraris.

6. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Ryan. Great article. Sometimes we just have to look deeper and see whats beyond the surface. The image is just a thanks for the inspiration. Keep'em coming..........

Attached Files:

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Ryan. This ties a lot of things into a nice tidy bundle......................... Think about it.

Frank

8. Rocket

Rocket
    from Austin Tx

very good read, i love hot rods but can appreciate any car someone takes the time to build and customize.

9. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

nice shootin', tex.

10. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

what's not to appreciate about scissor doors and 24 inch wires on an 85 caprice sedan? do you know how many pounds of hash you have to sling to pay for mods like that?

11. Great job Ryan.

You have bought to lite the issues that bind all car enthusiasts together. The Ferrari guys for the most part are just another bunch of gear heads, but its many of the vintage guys that really have the passion especially the ones that still vintage race thier cars.

12. TheBeast

TheBeast

Ryan Great story and pics...........Thank You!!!!

13. Enjoyed the read,thanks a lot.some one said the ferrari doesnt have soul,I disagree,that car has decades of soul that has developed as it has grown over time,most people that can afford that car just dont understand the soul and effort that goes into it,every line and piece in and on that car has someones soul and spirit in it,the same as the cars we own have our soul,blood,sweat and hard work in them,old cars with out us doing what we do to them dont have soul either,we give our cars the personallity and soul we want them to have,you can see 2 model A's,one beeing a restored to original and one being hot rodded,same car different soul but soul nene the less,just my 2 cents.

14. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This article really hit home with me. I have a friend with a 550 Maranello and we've had good times talking about cars. His tastes are different than mine, but his appreciation for machines and most importantly his desire to enjoy his Ferrari as a driver appeal to me. Too often people collect cars without ever using them as intended. In my opinion, treating a car like a piece of furniture doesn't sound too enjoyable. I like to drive, I don't mind bugs, rock chips or other charactor builders. Beautiful machines are intended to be used.

Thanks for the article. I enjoyed it.

15. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Id love to be able to see some of that Italian soul in person, maybe catch an F1 race at Imola or Monza , eat at the famous resturant across the street from the factory where they let Michael Schumacher walk in the back door and eat in the kitchen, or to hear the church bells ring after a Ferrari win. Thats the stuff I want to experiance. thats heart and soul, not what most of see when we catch a glimpse of some ya-hoo in a 360 at the local starbucks.

16. punkrockpatrick

punkrockpatrick

Awesome article. Ive had a love for Ferrari since I was little. Today there seems to be 2 types of prancing ponies. The cars available for sale to the public joe schmoe with enough money. (i.e. the F430,612 Scagletti) then there are the cars for the purists who appreciate what Ferrari's are at their Heart. (Enzo,F550, F40, 575 M, and the Barchetta). Some call it elitist but Ferrari wil not just sell you one of thier supercars, you have to qualify. SOOOO i guess you could make another comparison. I'd be willing to bet that Tardel wouldn't build such a beautiful "A" for just anybody with the dough to pony up.

17. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Good article.

What I got out of your message is that you got 3 timeless pieces of automotive art together and took some photos. I agree they are very nice.

-bullsac

18. Wow, Ryan. Just wow! A very nice peice of writing. Commonality of soul, focus of purpose and art is hard to express. You've achieved that, in spades, my friend. (Yeah, I consider we who hang here to be my friends, the HAMB group at the LA Roadster Show was a perfect example) But anyway, I wish I could express that commonality of passion in music like what you put up here. The same could be said of the common passion of, say, Lightnin' Hopkins, Earl Scruggs, John Coltrane and Ludwig Von B. Different, but passion, excellence and perfection are the uniting concept. Another one that I need to show to my pals who will "Get" it.

A towering hit out of the park, again.

19. mcload

mcload

Nice article Ryan, and great writing. I agree that between some classic and modern car enthusiasts is the passion for speed and/or the passion for the automobile as an art form. But I might add that the difference between European and American enthusiasts could not be wider, and that’s where the similarities end. You could also have placed a NASCAR stock car next to a Formula 1 race car and achieved the same comparison and contrasts.

Nascar was born out of moonshine runners, hot-rodders, and early stockcar dirt-track races…clearly an American-born institution. Formula 1 was born from very early race cars developed by the likes of Bentley and Bugatti for the European race circuits such as Brooklands in the 20’s and 30’s. (If I’m not mistaken, the 100mph mark was first achieved at Brooklands racetrack by Malcolm Campbell in a Napier-Railton).
    <O:p</O:p
    But today, the passion for speed (and prize money) is the only thing they have in common. Ask a European who Bobby LaBonte is and they don&#8217;t have a clue. Ask an American who Kimi Raikkonen is and you&#8217;ll get the same response. Formula One racing has yet to catch on here in the USA</ST1:p, and as far as I know, NASCAR doesn&#8217;t do any European races yet.

<O:p</O:pPerhaps the racing analogy is a bit extreme, but there will always be a &#8220;disconnect&#8221; between the Euros and the Americans, not only in automobiles, but political and social issues as well. (The term &#8220;Buy American&#8221; comes to mind). As you pointed out, the Ferrari is the extreme (and costly) example of perfection. Put a Ferrari and a Lambo together on display, and most folks really don&#8217;t know what they are looking at&#8230;but put an old flathead Ford hot-rod and Corvette together, and it will draw a bigger crowd.

<O:p</O:pThe point of your article is &#8220;heart&#8221; and &#8220;intent&#8221;, and I could not agree more. The same stories and drive for perfection can be found in almost every car manufactures&#8217; humble beginnings. The truth of the matter is that design, engineering, and styling cues all come from both European and American cars alike, classic and modern. Sure, we all have our favorites, but the true and pure car aficionado appreciates the &#8220;heart and intent&#8221; that went into all of them.

<O:p</O:pPost-Script:<O:p</O:p
    I had the rare privilege of attending the historic races at GoodWood Revival in the U.K. last year, and I will be going again this September. This event really opened my eyes to the early formative days of &#8220;formula&#8221; i.e. European racing. One of my favorite movies is &#8220;Grand Prix&#8221;, albeit a fairly romanticized perspective of European racing. There wasn&#8217;t too much TV coverage of those events in the 60&#8217;s, so I really had no feel for the passion of those events&#8230;.the Indy 500 was about as close as I got. But strolling through the paddock of vintage/classic race cars at GoodWood, seeing the Chaparral 2 there amongst the Aston-Martins, Ferraris, Jaguars and Bugattis of the 60&#8217;s sort of completed the &#8220;connection&#8221; with me&#8230;.if that makes any sense. It was an incredible experience.<O:p</O:p

[​IMG]

http://www.mcload.com/Goodwood 1.jpg,
    http://www.mcload.com/Goodwood 3.jpg

20. Appleseed

Appleseed

Dude! Good call!

21. Ryan,you don't need to convince me,about the relevance of the creations from Maranello.They are Italian Hot Rods in my eyes.Built by craftsmen,who span generations,with the kind of old world passion that creates mechanical masterpieces.Also a company that still believes that competition improves the breed.Sounds like hotrodding to me!! Thank You.

22. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Good article but visually the Ferrari doesn't fit with the other cars. I appreciate all sorts of cars and understand that as gearheads we share a similar passion for great machinery. Maybe I can't get past the surface of the cars, but to me what has always separated hot rods from all other cars is what they represent. They represent the ingenuity, drive, craftsmanship, ect. of the individual. When you take part in the creation of your own car it becomes part of you and you become part of it. Nothing says this like a traditional hot rod. There is a reason the two rods have names attached to them, because they're individualy unique. The Ferrari has a number. I understand the rich history of European auto racing and its connection to hot rodding, but while Europe focused on national pride and brand dominance hot rodders seemed to value personal achievement and expression. I see the history in all three of these cars, they scream it, but the rod and custom like many other hot rods, inspire me to build not buy.
    Great article ,it got me thinking and thats rare.

23. mtm0078

mtm0078
    from Chicago IL

First off, cool article. I'm not a huge Ferrari fan due to some past experience while working on a 360 Modena, but oddly enough i look at them like i do some traditional drag cars. They lacked in some build quality, but they did what they were designed for, go fast. So they got heart too and even more when they are pushed hard around a road course.
    Supposedly, if you can find a local, they can point out a tree stump by the old factory that Ferrai to used hammer his aluminum on. Lamborgini, he sold government tractors after WWII after the collapse of Mussolini&#8217;s government to pay for some of his racing. This sounds an offal lot like Hot Rodding to me.
    Enzo, the man, was an interesting character, worth reading about if you can find the time. He was defiantly sly and was as good a sales man as he was a racer, and he was a good racer.
    Personally, i love the fact that Enzo Ferrari's biggest head aches in racing came from failed Texas chicken farmer, Carroll Shelby. There rivalry is similar to Garlits' and all the California Top Fuel guys that said his piece of junk couldn't run with them. Pride comes before the fall.

24. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Just... WOW.

I have to say, I turned 37 a couple of weeks ago and I have recently come to realize that I am in the midst of the best years of my life. I make enough money to do things I enjoy without too much strain on the real life, My daughter is old enough to share in my obsessions, whether shooting, food or cars, My wife encourages me daily to do what I really want the first time so that I'll never regret my choices.
    What does all this have to do with Ryan's post? Just a week ago, I stood between the Black Dahlia and the Tardel/Cochran Coupe with my beautiful daughter and I couldn't decide which of the the cars she would look best in. I have to say, though, I am sure that even that gorgeous 575 couldn't have peeled our attention away from bias ply tires and Flathead Ford. Thanks again Ryan. I know that I am one of few lucky enough to see such works in person, and parked in front of a barber shop at that! It is really cool to read about such special subjects that I have actually seen up close. Sure beats Road and Track!

25. Kinda like a tween between the coupe and the Ferrari would be the original street GT40s, and the Chaparrals... I love me some Chaparral.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. mcload

mcload

Here's the rear shot of that Chaparral (driven by Rahall); something a lot of drivers saw during those times!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• chap.jpg
      chap.jpg
      File size:
      100.5 KB
      Views:
  27. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I cam to hotrodding from roadracing and the post with the prototype cars reminds me why I left road racing.
    From the fifty's on the sportracing classes always intrested me. Any one could go out in the garage and build their dream race car and road race it. The production cars were interesting but lacked inovation, the Formula classes were all factory built, but in the fifty's thru the early 70's any body could build their own sport racer and even had a chanch to win. When I started I raced in vintage, then production class, then formula. Each move I bettered my building skills with the hope of building a sport racer. By the late 80's the insurance companys started running road racing and any fabricated car had to have professional design documents ect puting the home builder out of the picture.
    I would guess other forms of racing have the same problem. So the most logical place to be is hotrodding, looking at various cars at traditional events creativity runs rampant - next week is BTT50's and when you look at most of the 1-800 street rod you will see very little differences between the cars MII - SBC - 700R - 9" ect. I would guess that most shops prefer the standard build for insurance reasons.
    Hopefully the insurance companys don't find out about hotrodding and our creativity will endure.

28. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Ryan, great story, great pictures!! That is a great article dude.
    Jimmy White

29. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

aww...shucks.

while the writing is good, comparing a pair of hot rods to a Ferrari is like comparing cheesburgers and prosciutto - they're both meat, folks are passionate about each - but the similarity ends there.

A hot rod or a custom is a one-off...an intensely personal statement by an individual infatuated with speed and/or things-with-motors. Using relatively mundane components, a product often greater than the sum of its parts is created. In comparison, any stockbroker who has made a bundle on commissions - never mind his investment savvy - can pony up for a Ferrari and then have the audacity to flaunt how he got it via vanity plate, which is exactly what I saw on the way home last nite.

Perhaps Enzo's initial creations were crimes of passion, but the current crop is merely self gratification for the high net worth crowd. They're no longer cars, IMHO - they're bedpost notches.

Sorry, man...that's how it looked last nite as the thirtysomething goober struggled to drive it in traffic.

On the bright side - you make me wanna prime, flame and stripe a 330 GT 2+2...

30. Kreb

Kreb