Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to make white walls "white" again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Guapo, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Ok. So here's the deal. I just purchased a set of wide whites from E-Pay for my 53 Chevy. I already have 2 on the front and needed 2 for the rear. They arrived yesterday and to my dismay, the white walls are not so white. Kinda of a cream white color. The tires are 6.70 15's made by Allstate (Sears). The tread is excellent and tires are fairly new looking. My question is: Is there anyway to make the white on them whiter? Is it possible that the color is suppose to be that way? Any suggestions from fellow HAMBers would be greatly appreciated. Oh, i tried to use degreaser on them but didn't work. :confused:

2. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

I find best thing is a simple SOS scrub pad with the soap in it, they work really good, if they dont get whiter that way you can also wet sand them with 220 sandpaper . My brother had a dark stain on his from wheel cleaner and he sanded his and they turned like new again.

3. Elrod

Elrod

[​IMG]

Westley's Bleche-Wite

Go to any automotive department and pick up this product along with a bristle brush. It's made specifically for cleaning white wall tires. $4 for small bottle. $6 - $8 for giant jug.

If you leave this product on your tires too long, it cracks the whitewalls, so don't pay too much attention to the instructions on the bottle.

I spray it on one tire all over and you start to see the yellow run off the whitewall. Scrub the entire sidewall of your tire with the bristle brush for about 1 minute. doesn't take much effort.

Spray off your brush, then spray off your tire. While rinsing your tire, use the brush along with the water from the hose to really get that bleche wite off. Your tires will look unbelievable, both in the white area as well as the black. It's best to put some kind of moisture back on the tire, too so they don't crack. something like armor all or tire wet works.

PS - this stuff will also get your white bathtub WHITE! Open a window though!

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I use Simply Green and my darkest, dirtist spots have always come out sparkling clean.

5. Thanks for the tips. I will go out and try the Westley's bleach white first. I had initially used the purple degreaser with a bristle brush. My only concern is that the tires might have been produced many years ago and didn't know if anyone had the same problem with them in the past. I will let you know how it comes out and hopefully post a few pics.

6. Thanks for the link 51chevysled. I will try a few things suggested and hopefully they will be as white as the front tires.

Anyone have a good set of chrome bumpers and maybe a good grill for a 53 Chevy Coupe?

7. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

If you are gonna use westly's bleachwhite, READ THE BOTTLE.
    It says not to put it on aluminium wheels. I've heard that it will fuck em right up.
    I use simlpe green cause it works just as well if not better than westly's. And it does not tear up wheels or paint.
    And you can clean just about anything else with it too.

8. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I use Bleche-White too. But, do not get it on your paint. Simple Green is more user friendly.

Doc.

9. Big Tony

Big Tony

Simple green / SOS pad combo then Wet sand them if needed but make sure you wet sand cause anything else will go to far and leave ugly marks

10. jimk52

jimk52

I used to work at a tire shop.Used tires mostly.I figured out a cool trick.Works much better than an SOS pad.Bust a smallish piece of a brick.Use the flat part on the white wall with simple green.Works beautifully.Try it.

11. Bugman

Bugman

You can also sand them. When I grind my WWWs, I finish them with 80 grit paper. obviously the finer the paper, the smoother the finish.

12. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

never run old tires.

13. dont know if you have a 99 cents store in tejas but if you do they carry a cleaner called awsome that shit works way better than bleach white.

14. Muttley

Muttley

The guy at Coker told me Bleche-White was the worst thing you could put on your tires.

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yes, because it dries them out.

16. flathead okie

flathead okie

Don't know if it hurts them or not, but, I used laquer thinner on a rag on the same exact type of tires and it cleaned then it less than 2 min.

17. Chopper Demon

Chopper Demon

Comet and and scotch-brite pad always works for me, I really pour it on and let it sit before scrubbing.

18. Dupli-color has a new product called Hot Tire Paint Stick. Comes in white and other silly colors. Might work to freshen up whitewalls.

19. tred

tred

just two weeks ago i wet sanded a set of white walls with 220 grit paper (yeah, they needed it, too) and wesley's bleech-white. i'm not a big fan of bleech white, but it worked better when wet sanding than just water.

it worked amazingly well!

i tried a 320 grit, and nothing really happened.

once you cut them with a 220 grit, it shouldn't need to be sanded again, just cleaned with the cleaner of your choice, but you need to stay on top of it.

let us know what you end up doing and how it works.

20. I would second SOS pads and the water you just washed your car with. Every household has em so try them first. Don't tell the wife where they all end up going.

21. bigd_207

bigd_207
    from MO

I use a product called Zep Formula 50 on my white letters. You have to dilute it, then just simply spray on, brush it a little bit, and hose it off. Makes em look new everytime.

22. P.Y.

P.Y.

White spirit works good

23. NorCal51Merc

NorCal51Merc

Greenhorn question here; I have a full set of bias ply Allstate WW's that were on my '51 Merc when purchased. Do they have tubes or no?

kr

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd say if they don't have "Tubeless" somewhere on the sidewalls...then yes, they'll need tubes...guess it depends on how old they are as well, which you didn't say...

R-

25. NorCal51Merc

NorCal51Merc

I'm assuming 1983 or so. Didn't Allstate stop selling tires around that time?

26. The white portion yellows because the oils in the rubber are slowly leaking through after many years on your older tires. I always had good luck with a stiff bristle brush and cleanser, or an SOS pad. Either way you are removing the oils from the white portion.

27. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

wouldn't rubbing compound work? we used it in a shop fire when nothing else would remove the soot. not the cheap liquid stuff tho, the thick solid stuff like shoe polish.

28. 2935ford

2935ford

I don't buy white walls for this very reason....pain in the butt to keep them white!

29. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

You may be worrying about the wrong thing here as far as the white walls go. I think you should be looking at the date code and if the tires are more than 6 years old "GET RID OF THEM" or you will have bigger problems than whiteness. :confused: