Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stopping at the Shoe Tree...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

That's a bummer. I saw it many years ago on a mountain biking trip to Moab and Colorado. I crossed in the middle of the night though, I think I passed two cars in my whole journey. Stopped once, sat out on the hood and did some star gazing, you can see the satellites orbiting...it was awesome.

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nothing beats a long drive in an old car, down an old highway.
    That bites about the shoe tree. San Diego has a legendary shoe tree; in Balboa Park's frizbee golf course area. It sets right in front of one of the tees. You have to shoot through it to get down a long fairway, and inevitably someone from your group will get their disc "kicked" which is always a big laugh.

Attached Files:

4. prttyplymouthgal

prttyplymouthgal

Such a bummer.Damn Dirt Bags gotta ruin everything :(

5. terry48435

terry48435

We stopped there on our Harleys on a trip back from Eureka,California in '05. We rode almost the whole length of Route 50. Sure was a neat sight when we stopped for a break. We also stayed at a gas stop/ motel that was in the middle of nowhere,They had a large sign shaped like the pony express rider David Mann did for "Easy Rider" magazine out front. Great trip.

6. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

There is a really cool one near here too. Only it's full of all sorts of weird and random things, not just shoes.

7. GARY?

GARY?

Yeah, It really bummed me out to find out the tree was gone too. It really was a landmark on the drive to Salt Lake. Was hoping to get a pic of my Model T in front of it this year.

Here's another shot of the tree from 2010.
    For those that know Austin, NV here's a pic of the Mayor's Model T.

Attached Files:

8. Man we drove 50 for every trip in the 1970s - pretty quiet and on the last trip I did solo in 2004. Sad .... really sad

9. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Who the heck is planting these things? What about the one on Rice Road that used to be there? There was also another related species planted there, a bra tree.

10. There was also one on 395 between Susanville and Alturas CA. Started in the 1920s. It was cut down overnight in 1994 or 95 IIRC.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't really matter who planted the first tennis shoe or first bra it's one of those things where the tree took on it's own personality and a lot of friends who stopped for a short visit on their way by and one or two jerkwads who get their kicks by destroying something that others enjoy or find useful for one reason or another.
    Around the area it's the idiot with the 4x4 and log chain who pulls out the "stop ahead" signs on the dirt roads behind my house every three day weekend when he comes home from college or where ever the guy only comes home on three day weekends from.

12. 34hemipu

34hemipu

WTF ! What is wrong with some people ! Doing something like this does take some planning and effort . Maybe put it to some good use AS@#$%S ! I gotta cut back on the coffee.

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

The bra tree. Or bush. On Route 66.

Attached Files:

14. shanesflames

shanesflames

Yea we had one, it was somewhere near Moro county, out of biggs Jt. in Oregon...some one burnt it down last year...it was known for, trading better boot than u had on..

15. We have one here too, and after reading the above posts I'm not divulging where, for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to see someone took yours away.

Ours even has a backstory- that the shoes were the victims of the "Smiley Faced Killer"...
    When we were in HS- (90-93)- the house closest to the tree used to have a 70's style 'smiley face' painted on the garage door. If the door was open, the 'killer' was out making his rounds (you ALWAYS visited the shoe tree at night)- if it was closed, he was at home. The shoes were the only thing left of his 'victims'.
    Ironically, we were driving home from Ypsilanti on Christmas Eve last year, when my youngest son, who's 6, asked to go to the shoe tree. I've never been there in the winter time, so said why not... we got close to it and he started to second guess his request... especially when I parked under it and opened the moonroof! I told him I was trying to see Santa in the sky, but he didn't buy it. ;)

The other local landmark that we'd visit was the 'Denton Road Bridge', which apparently was visited by 'aliens' when my parents were in HS. The bridge is out near the very edge of Wayne county, which from my parents place in Redford is about 18 miles or so, but back in the 60's probably seemed alot further. They used to go out there to look for 'aliens' but we knew it as a place where legend had it that a young couple (in the 1960's ;) ) stopped to 'make out' after a prom. The story is that they kept hearing a scraping noise on the roof, and after awhile the young miss got scared and sent Romeo out to find out what it was. After he was gone awhile, she got curious too, and got out of the car, only to find him hanging from the tree upside down, dead of course, and as his body was swinging from the tree it was his class ring that was doing the scraping on the roof. :0
    When I was in HS, a girl who was a very good friend of mine lived in the house that the bridge was on. It could be spooky at night, but if you went in the daytime, it's where the hoods would go to smoke and look at Playboys. Sadly, it met it's demise about 10 years ago, when the roads were paved (and turned into 4 lanes) and they built a couple thousand houses in what used to be cornfields. To be honest, I don't know which is scarier... :p

JK

16. prttyplymouthgal

prttyplymouthgal

Love this!

17. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Yeah Jay, I was genuinely pissed and sad when I read that too. The replacement "Steel" tree that some are proposing won't be the same. Too bad we can't throw our shoes at the morons that cut the tree down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

there is 'sposta be one over by Evansville, Indiana. Somewhere down by the horse track.
    sucks that you cant have nuttin nice, nuttin sacred because some dirtbag will think it's funny to destroy it.
    one day he'll be in a bar bragging about cutting down the tree and the wrong person will hear it.

19. We had one here a long time ago, it was created by a friend of mine. It started to get really popular and get written up in the newspaper etc., people stopped to get their photos taken and add to it. My friend got peeved that other people were abusing his creation so one night he went and cut it down, and of course there was a huge public outcry. That was close to 30 years ago and people are still mad about it.

20. hmmm the last heels ruined its sole....
    where the shoes and potential bio hazard now. is the fungus .. among us?

21. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

22. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

I remember the one that used to be on Rice Road; some idiot burned it down.

Sucks to hear about another being destroyed....what is it with some people?

23. 76cam

76cam

Sorry to hear that.That sucks ass.

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Some one must have an anti shoe agenda. I can imagine in a dark alley 3 doors down you go and knock the secret code. You go in and pull your black cloak over your head, kneel by the sacrificial alter and slowly and methodically, like a crazed killer cut the tongue out of a pair of Adidas gym shoes offering them up to the high priest of this cult. The priest has his anti shoe agenda and all shoe trees must be destroyed, seek them out and burn them down. They are evil. Then come back to the sacred pire and we will collect the ceremonial grahams and chocolate and marshmallows and prepare the Smores. Hehe he, long live Spock.

25. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Well that sucks. I've logged alot of miles on 2 wheels on Hwy50. Just a great road for me & my Harley. Spent my share of time in Austin too. Me and a buddy rode 75 miles one morning from a campground to have breakfast there because he liked the potatoes in one resturant (the International I think). We still laugh about that.

26. jim galli

jim galli

Next thing you know, some do-gooder will clean up Crankshaft Crossing and Tea Kettle Junction. The world is sick.

27. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

wtf is wrong with these idiots? why cant they just leave kool sh#t alone. theres a guy here in auburn that restored an old sinclair station, and a small old gas station in a near by town. i drove over there to check ut the small one and some crackhead kids have already tagged it with spray paint. idiots with no respect about where they came from!

28. 21tat

21tat

Thanks for posting this. Folks here in Nevada are very upset about the loss of this tree. There obviously aren't many landmarks along Hwy. 50. I just don't get why these jerks can't just leave shit alone.

29. 31fordV860

31fordV860

All I'm going to say on this is....where were the warnings from the association? If it's an eyesore ...than...oh uh... that's right...it's just out in the open for all to enjoy...

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So who is replacing it with the HAMB shoe tree?? Take a sapling, dig a hole, a little water............

Doc.