Register now to get rid of these ads!

Florida temporary tags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arthur, May 27, 2010.

1. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I may be buying a truck from a man in Florida,and the plan is to drive my 4 cylinder car down there,rent a U-Haul trailer, and tow it back home behind the truck.

My question is "How do I do this?"

Can I buy a temporary tag from the Fl DMV if I buy from a private seller,or do you have to buy from a dealer to get temp tags?

Or do the tags stay with the vehicle when it is sold in Florida,and I can just drive home on them?

Any suggestions or solutions will be welcome.

BTW,I have been trying since 9 AM to call the Fl DMV,and the phone stays busy.

2. Florida DMV doesn't have a website?

NY calls them a transit permit, may help in finding info.

3. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Try the web site, it is called the "Florida tax collector`s office"(dmv,tags,etc.)
    I know you will have to show proof of insurance.We dont have permenent tags for cars each car gets a new tag(unless you transfer the tag).They may issue a temp tag for what you want to do, not sure.Web site is the easiest way to check. , they may have a live help section.

4. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

They have a web site,but the only mention of temp tags are about dealers issuing them.

5. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

I got a temporary tag from the DMV for my Bel Air while waiting for them to authenticate my year-of-manufacture tag. Needed proof of insurance, and I think it was about 30 bux.

6. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Thanks. Did you buy it from a dealer or a private party?

I wonder if you living in Florida made it any easier?

BTW,I have sent the Florida DMV a email to ask them about this,but don't know if they will answer before the auction ends or not. I'd like to know the answer to this before I made a big bid and find out I can't get plates to drive the truck home.

7. BudJ63

BudJ63
    from Florida

After you pick up the vehicle, go directly to the local Tax Collectors office. There you can purchase a temporary tag for transporting the vehicle out of state.

8. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know.

9. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I will be damned! I already got a response from the Florida DMV! I have been waiting over a month now for a response from the NC DMV.

Anyhow,here is what they said. I hope this will help someone else with the same problems/questions.

Budj63,you were as right as rain!

"Take the Florida title completed by the seller, along with proof of insurance from you home state to any local Florida Tax Collector or a License Plate Agency. The temporary tag fee is $7.50. Sales tax is also due.

We hope this information will assist you."

10. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

BTW,who ever heard of getting a email response from a DMV office within hours?

Kudos to the state of Florida and the fine folks that work at the DMV there!

11. At least you CAN get a temp tag in Florida! Here in OK, if a car transfers from seller to buyer in a PRIVATE sale, and if the current tag is expired (tag stays with vehicle, like CA), you are screwed unless you have a temp from you home state, or a transit tag.

Paper temps can only be issued by a selling dealer in OK. The state does not issue them at all.

Yet another reason to own a trailer, or have access to one!

12. cheveey57

cheveey57

Take a plate off the 4 banger you are driving down there & put it on the truck. It always works for me, as long as you have a bill of sale if stopped....

13. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Kool now i know too.

14. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

15. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Do not put a tag from anther car on it in FLa, trust me I know this n learned the hard way! if u lived in Fla u can take it home on the bill of sale with no tag as you insurance covers you for 30 days from date of purchase even though its not on your insurance policy

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That doesn't fly in this state either an they take your plates off your rig then and there if they catch you with the wrong plates.

The 7.50 temp or trip permit and having the Florida dmv make sure the title is squared away sounds like the bargain of the week.

17. Much better to have no tag than the wrong tag. Unless of course you happen to like jail.