Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fabricating a frame to motor mount bracket - Tech (?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TagMan, Dec 29, 2004.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made a set of frame-to-engine mount brackets today and decided to make a tech post while I was doing so. I realize that for 90% of you, this’ll be a large yawn, but maybe it’ll help out the other 10%'ers. The project is a ’46 Chevy 1/2T pick-up and the engine I’ll be installing is a ’65 vintage 327 SBC. I bought a set of engine mounts at the Carlisle swap meet last fall, but needed the frame-to-mount brackets. Here's the mounts.......
    [​IMG]

Like most any job, the foundation is critical. If the foundation (i.e. frame, in this case), ain’t right, everything else will be screwed up. Keeping the “foundation” in mind, the first thing I did was to get the frame set for the stance I wanted. Then I set the engine in between the frame rails and positioned it where I wanted it. The radiator was mounted on the frame and the engine was set so the fan blades were about 1-1/2” from it and the fan was centered on the radiator. I then set an angle finder on the manifold and added & subtracted blocks under the oil pan, until I had 0°, both front-to-rear and side-to-side on the manifold. The front of the engine was being held by a jack-stand under the timing cover. I ran a plumb line from the center rear of the crankshaft to the center of the rear axle pinion shaft and then measured from each side frame rail at several points, to get the ass-end of the engine in the centerline. As in most jobs, the set up and measuring and re-measuring took a bunch of time, but it’s critical to get it right........or maybe I’m just obsessed with getting everything perfect ??? Anyways, here's how it was sitting......
    [​IMG]

After the engine was where I wanted it, I bolted the stock engine brackets in location on the block. I then took some 3/4” round stock I had laying around and cut off two pieces, each 2-1/2” long, which is the distance between the “ears” on the engine mounts. I put each piece in my lathe and bored them out to 25/64” (3/8” + 1/64” clearance)......
    [​IMG]

I bolted the drilled out pieces in the stock mounts and bolted them in with a 3/8” bolt. Next I cut a piece of thin cardboard to use as a template, to 2-1/2” wide and around 8” long – longer than I needed, but will be cut to fit. I then fit the template in place inside the lower frame rail, figuring out where to bend it so it’d mate up with the bushing in the engine mount...........
    [​IMG]

After the template was cut & bent to size, I cut out a piece of 1/8” sheet metal to the same dimensions and marked off where it was to be bent. It was then put in a vise, heated along the bend line ‘til it was cherry red and then bent to the proper angle.............
    [​IMG]

Next the lower side of the bracket was put in place and clamped with C-clamps in place. I then spot-welded the bushing & bracket together. After that, I removed the lower arm & bushing, put it in my vise and welded it up...................
    [​IMG]

After grinding down the welds, I drill some 1” lightening holes in the lower arm. That’s just for looks, so give me a pass about inconsequential weight savings !!...........
    [​IMG]

To save Ryan's space, I did the same thing with a template for the topside of the bracket, as well as the sides.

When it was all welded up, I installed it back in the frame and drilled both the upper & lower sides for 3/8” bolts to secure the bracket to the frame.............
    [​IMG]

Like I said at the beginning, no rocket science and pretty basic, but maybe it’ll help somebody out. In any event, that's how I spent this day of retirement !! [​IMG]

-Bob

2. Great tech post Tagman.I have need to fab some new mounts for my 57 Safari(the old ones are kinda Mickey Mouse and broken)and I know this will help.Thanks again!
    Ray

3. Tony

Tony

Bob,
    Very nice!
    I like the hole's too, nice touch..

I need to stop over and see whats cookin in person [​IMG]..

Tony.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[ QUOTE ]
    I need to stop over and see whats cookin in person

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime, Tony, you're always welcome. I know you have a lot of spare time with nothin' to do..... [​IMG]

5. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

Great post, it will come in handy for me soon. Coupla questions - this is on an un-boxed frame, right? Also, it might just be the lighting but in the last pic it looks like there is a different frame-to-motor mount in place beneath the 1/8" brackets you fabricated?

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any time you can stick some holes in somthing, do it.

Holes make cars look about a half second faster than they really are.

Nice bracket. -Abone.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[ QUOTE ]
    Great post, it will come in handy for me soon. Coupla questions - this is on an un-boxed frame, right? Also, it might just be the lighting but in the last pic it looks like there is a different frame-to-motor mount in place beneath the 1/8" brackets you fabricated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad I could be of some help to somebody here. The HAMB has been given me more than Ican ever repay.

Right now the frame is unboxed, but that's on the list of "things to do". I hope to get it done yet this winter.

I'm not sure what you're refering to, but there isn't any other bracket....must be the lighting or my crappy fotog skills !! [​IMG]

8. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

ok, that's what I thought. Thx again!