Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another Forgotten Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Always dug that little car. It had a look that's all it's own.

3. woodbox

woodbox

Now thats a cool looking car, but I might be biased!

4. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Great stance.

5. Man...I love that car!!! That's some nice thinkin' outta the box. It all just 'fits'. Shocks ALL the way out the back...and it still looks great. Nicely done. Thanks for bringin' it to light.

6. cruzr

cruzr

Love the "oldies"

7. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Just did a little featured story on this neat roadster last week. Check it out here: http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Carl_Burnett's_1927_Ford

The car is still around, and is currently being restored back to the Carl Burnett version. Since the 1940s, the roadster has been owned by four different members of the San Diego Prowlers CC.

Chuck Gibson owned it and raced it at the dry lakes in the 1940s and early 1950s:
    [​IMG]

Carl Burnett bought it around 1951, and built it into a roadster:
    [​IMG]

in 1958 it was featured on the cover of HRM March 1958 (by then Bob Smith had bought it from Carl):
    [​IMG]

Today, the car is owned by John LeBarre, also a Prowlers member. Carl is the caretaker who is restoring the roadster back to the Burnett version. Can't wait to see it done:
    [​IMG]

8. I have that feature bookmarked in my worn copy as inspiration for my brothers T!

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Super... thanks so much for the update... I guess this one wasn't so forgotten - no?

Absolutely bitchin.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thats a perfect car, plain and simple!

11. HRS

HRS

The article says he used a Henry J deck-lid.....was it just welded on to the stock T quarters?

I can't tell from the pics...but obviously some type of quarters were used when it went from RPU to roadster.

Anyone know what was done?

12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I remember that roadster from another mag. Maybe Hot Rot cover. Seem to remember a sailor jumping into or out of it. Something in the article talked about the flathead already being outdated.
    I must have liked it. It's still sticks in my mind.

13. Great update! I remember that Hot Rod cover when I was a kid. My friend across the street had a big brother (driving age) who got all the car mags of the day. We poured over each issue and in the process got an education. I marveled at that car (and many others) and said, "one day I'll do that".

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool! First time I am seeing it and sure is pretty. I love the rear view of this thing. You can see everything that going on underneath. Can't wait to perhaps see it in person one day!

15. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

16. F1 Flathead

F1 Flathead
    from Michigan

Notice the rear-facing F1 front shock mounts? I really like the "in your face" rear suspension too.

17. choprodinc

choprodinc

cool ride! the rear shocks, spring, frame, and member are in your face... i like that!

18. One of the best looking roadsters of the period. Nice to know it's still around.

19. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Wow--another great post. Looking at this car made me think instantly of the Bob Smith car. I just never thought it was the same car.

Great to know it's still around and is getting restored.

20. I have always liked this little roadster ever since I first saw it included in the Hot Rod mag's 50th anniversary article (TRJ #10). I have wondered if it still existed, well I finally know thanks to SuperFleye's post. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. catdad49

catdad49

Kool ride!! I think the 27 on a deuce frame is one of the best classic combinations although it requires a little work to look right. Keep em coming. Thanks,Cat

22. 2Hep

2Hep

One of my all time favorite's as well. On my top ten list of "wish I owned". Was even in Car Craft (Nov. 64) as a demo in a write up on Rear end treatments and such.

23. barnfind08

barnfind08
    from minnesota

Carl Burnett I believe ended up with a obsolete Ford store in San Diego. I stopped there a couple of times from Minnesota. He had the most rare parts ever. His roof of the store was full of sheet metal. Agreat guy and easy to deal with.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats how I remember it too, a PUSSER sitting in it. I think its was in the HotRod Mag 50th anniversary book, I was always fascinated by the rear end in that thing.
    And that exhaust always intrigued me, I lost count of how many models I built as a kid with that style exhaust.
    Doc.

25. von Dyck

von Dyck

My first ever car magazine purchase was the October1959 issue of RODDING and Re-styling (25 cents) and featured this roadster on the cover and on pages 4,5,and 6. It was this mag that initiated this crazy affliction.

26. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Someone please tell me that's a 36 rear ?
    Van

27. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

mega car boner! =O

28. D.Tenney

D.Tenney

Hi my name is Dale Tenney and I owned this car from 1980-1988. I just faced booked the current owner to offer photo's and information. I just knew the car would surface some time, I sold it thru Antique Automotive in 1988 and I guess it went down hill after that. It was in really bad shape when I found it at Carl Burnetts Christmas party in 1980. The car was laying on the ground. A friend told me what the car was and I bought it. I tried to up load some pictures for you guy's but I guess I have to learn how. I really miss the car, it was fun to drive but I ran out of money and wanted to buy a house, same old story. The rear end is a 1936 Vandy.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010