Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drilling Ford 9 Axles to change pattern

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35PontiacCoupe, May 8, 2009.

1. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

I've read some of the threads about drilling 9" axle flanges to change the bolt patterns, and I know there are some people out there that think it shouldn't be done, etc. I've got a pretty good idea of a fixture to make sure everything is indexed correctly but I don't know how close I can make the new holes to the old ones.

I'm going from 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 and the biggest problem is the access hole is right in the way- of course. There were some people who had drilled to 5x4.75 and made it work, but my templates put the holes pretty close to each other.

Basically, I'm wondering how much space needs to be left in between the lug holes to keep it stable. If there isn't enough room, how would a plug work? Would it have to be welded in from the backside?

2. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i sent some axles over to the local mud bogger machinest here & he welded plugs in & then redrilled a pattern.

i see new currie axles with 2 patterns & the holes are pretty close.
    i too would like to hear what others think.

3. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

WHen he welded them in, did he take a slice out of the flange to make sure it wasn't warped?

4. Old Guy

Old Guy

Just did a set from 5.5 to 4.5. Plugged the holes, welded both sides, and resurfaced the flange.The only thing that sucks is that the welds get really hard, which makes it a little tough to drill.

5. bigolds

bigolds

Did them on my 37...welded...resurfaced...milled new holes...used screw in studs....used to beat the livin' shit out of it...no problems!!!!

6. Been there done that a few times before, I personally had a few issues with balance, after i pluged it.... did not want to spend the bucks to send them to the balancer .... got pretty close (guessing 99%)with a old high speed balancer on the car.

7. When I ordered my axle shafts for my 9 inch rearend from Dutchman, they drilled them with 3 different bolt patterns [ 4.5", 4.75" & 5"]and the extra holes didn't void the warrantee. Must be safe.

8. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

I would just send them to Moser Eng.

Gary

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="568"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3">[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Redrilling Bolt Patterns
    [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] To suit your requirements, we can redrill new bolt patterns on most OEM or M/E axles, most one-piece rotors, hubs, and brake drums. (We do not drill Chevy Luv rotors.) See our price sheet for your application, and feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
    [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr height="4"> <td width="250" height="4">
    </td> <td height="4">
    </td> <td width="125" height="4">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="250">[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Axles - redrilling only
    [/FONT]</td> <td>
    </td> <td width="125">[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]$60 pair
    [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr height="4"> <td width="250" height="4">
    </td> <td height="4">
    </td> <td width="125" height="4">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="250">[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Axles - plug & redrill holes
    [/FONT]</td> <td>
    </td> <td width="125">[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]$80 pair [/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table>

9. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Is the balance issue sideways or top to bottom balance?

I know moser doesn't cost a ton but shipping both ways is a pig too..

Rocky- did those axles have access holes in them? How much material is there between the holes?

10. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

I would just send them to Moser Eng.
    That's what I did well over 10 years ago, many miles with no problems

11. I just redrilled the new pattern in between . Why weld??????? went from 5.5 to 4.75. Took a morning of measuring and work. Measuring and layout is the key.
    Don

12. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Any machine shop that has a indexing head can machine them in a few minutes for any bolt pattern you want, thou it will require machining and welding in a plug for the "access" hole. You can send them to me and I'll do it for you right, PM me if you need my help.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I send everything to Moser. I have them shorten and respline when necessary, change bolt pattern and install new studs and wheel bearings. I have then send their retainer plates as they are slip on not the captured stock type. When they change bolt pattern they weld up the old pattern
    remachine the flange true to the axle centerline and redrill the new pattern and press in new studs. They can put new bearings on for less than 1/2 what it costs to replace them here.
    Nice thing about them is they have a 24 hour turnaround. When I send them a pair of axles UPS I have them back in less then a week ready to install. Best service of any aftermarket company I've dealt with.

Frank

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Ford made a LOT MORE different axles with the 5 on 4.5 pattern than with the 5 on 5.5 pattern.

The 57 to 67 F-100 axle shaft measures 30 inches ( both the right side and the left side ) ... I helped a friend with his project and we used 64/65 Full size Ford axle ... It is 29.5 inches long ... and it has been trouble free for many, many miles. We even used the drums, backing plates and all.

He runs a 460 Ford with a 125 shot of NOS ... :)

29EHV8 likes this.
  15. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

This is what I want to do. How close were the holes to the access hole/existing holes? I'd rather drill without welding if I can.

Moser is still an option but I'd rather do this myself if possible because I'm cheap and like doing things myself..

16. 2-TONED

2-TONED

yep he surfaced them. -- he is a very good machinest but he cant get off the mud bog 4x4 shit.
    he charged me 70.00 for the pair new studs included.
    i wanted mine surfaced. he does alot of 4x4s with the big tires they wouldnt know if the axles were warped or not.

17. budd

budd

i'm think of drilling my axle from 4.5 to 4.75, i would start by placeing them in my lathe and take a little cut/sctarch to give me the correct DIA. then print out the pattern on my office printer and center punch the locations, or i may mill my wheels to except uni-lug washers as they are aluminum.

18. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

How much space between the old holes/access hole and the new lugs is acceptable though? I'm looking at the template that I made with both patterns and it looks like about 1/8" of material in between. I don't know if that's enough- that's really what I'm looking for...

19. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"How much space between the old holes/access hole and the new lugs is acceptable though? I'm looking at the template that I made with both patterns and it looks like about 1/8" of material in between. I don't know if that's enough- that's really what I'm looking for... "

Ain't it Hell trying to get a straight answer on the H.A.M.B.? Regards, Ron

20. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Yes. Yes it is! I appreciate all the other ideas though!

21. budd

budd

i'm guessing your saying that between the access hole and an old stud hole, by spliting the difference you end up with 1/8" of meat, i was thinking of filling the access hole with a plug welded in and skipping the area i needed to drill and tap, i know 4 studs has enough strength for the way i drive and if i have 5 and one has 75 percent of the strength of the other 4 i'm good, so i would avoid being 1/8" away.

22. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

1/8" is plenty.

23. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

1/8" is plenty

24. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Garrr... 1/8" is plenty, 1/8" isn't enough... Has anybody done it with that little space and survived to tell me about it?

25. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Buy a wheel adapter for your needs , knock the studs out and use it as a fixture........... simple :rolleyes:

29EHV8 likes this.
  26. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Adapters cost almost as much as it costs to have moser do it themselves. Plus the real problem that I have is the access hole being in the way, not the lack of a fixture..

27. budd

budd

theres a difference in stud DIA. as well, some are quite small, i bet if you put your new holes on the front side of the old holes it would be fine, or even cutting odd the old studs and leaving them in there would be stronger.

28. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i had some axles once that had the access holes filled & i could get a wrench back there to tighten the bearing with the brakes off.
    you could try that.

29. 2-TONED

2-TONED

you got that right! i think sometimes they sit around on their computers eatin cheetos & drinkin beer & answerin questions..........:eek:

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I beg your pardon..............................Cheetos and Mountain Dew!!!

Frank