Register now to get rid of these ads!

Respectully, HAMB still needs a Customs Section

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Pro Stock John, Oct 1, 2012.

1. williebill

williebill

I'm a custom guy,but will read all the interesting hot rod posts,too.I've never seen a need to mess with Ryan's methods here,but can understand what you're saying. I appreciate the discussion,but it's an age old argument,now set in the HAMB era.
    Maybe custom guys just need to represent a little more,huh.

You hot rod guys have it easy. Seems like everydamnthing I do to my Merc requires compound curves,a good eye,a math degree,and a ridiculous number of hours just making shit fit. I'd kill for straight edges,and 90 degree angles,but I'm the only guy I know who can turn a 3 hour job into 2 months,so maybe that's just me.
    Appreciate Rik's comments,too.
    The greasers just gotta stick together.

2. I read hot rod stuff but the custom stuff is buried and getting more buried. :(

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think Custom guys need to create content... That's the bottom line... We don't have a lot of custom content creators.

Rikster, time for you to get a car and build it! How's about that?

4. He's too busy being our historian! :)

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think to do is start a poll on the main forum and see what everyone thinks... I'll work on a feature post about the idea and get it posted with a poll next week. How's that?

6. I think if you post the poll it has eleventy-billion percent cred.

7. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I agree with the original post. Custom talk on here is croaking out.

Then again I am building a custom and havent posted about it so I guess I am part to blame.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

I'm fortunate this forum exists but I own cars both HAMB friendly and not HAMB friendly. How I wish there were comparable forums for the non HAMB friendly stuff I work on but I've never found a forum near as good.

I guess what I'm saying is that you could split off customs.. but would it be anywhere near as good?

There is so much overlap between the two styles that I think it's beneficial to have it all in one forum. I'd like to see the HAMB limit increased by about 8 years myself.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  9. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

There isnt really a need to split off customs, as in a totally different site. The HAMB has always been a Traditional Hot Rod and Custom forum. There just arent that many custom guys anymore and the custom posts get lost amongst the rest.

The Social Group thing hasnt really taken off either.

I would like to see a HAMB sponsored custom event, like the HAMB drags, obviously without the drag racing.

What would it consist of? I dont know. The real trick would be defining Traditional Custom, nearly as hard as defining Traditional Hot Rod, maybe even harder.

I can already see the painted chrome and bondo'd in neon haedlights....

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that the problem here is that we are talking about a continuum here where we might only agree on the definition of what the far ends are. One step toward the center, from either side, and the disagreement would begin.

11. While I am primarily a custom guy, I just plain like cars. I would also vote for keeping things all together. I like being able to scroll through the forum and click whatever catches my interest....I get lots of great info and tech from rod stuff that would not show up on a customs only section. I will admit, while I am on several social groups, I almost never check them....which seems to be a trend for most folks. I suspect the same would be true of a customs only section. I'd be willing to bet the traffic through that would drop off significantly. I agree with Rik....see custom stuff on the board, participate and encourage it.

12. respectfully disagree, when the number of threads with new content is up where this site is, like over 10 pages in just a day, makes sense to split off some content.

but i'm done, i made my point, i appreciate those who weighed in. just doesn't have the same appeal anymore for me anymore.

13. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

I perfer customs, like rods as well, realize that rods have a great deal of custom work that sometimes go unnoticed Credit is due in that respect. If the 2 were divided then you could go directly to one or the other or work them both.

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

If it was split you would be see less custom interest than you do now. There is alot of guys that wouldn't even look at the section being of no interest to them. Leave it as is,if it ain't broke don't fix it.

15. I appreciate a nice custom and I love hot rods,,there has always been more rods than customs.

The Hamb has introduced many younger guys to customs that may never have even given one a second look or been exposed to them.

The introduction of a separate section wouldn't be fair to the guys building customs simply because a lot of folk may just skip it all together,I'm not saying it would happen but it could.

As someone said earlier,,if it ain't broke don't fix it. HRP

16. I'm a custom guy through and through. With that said, please don't split them up. The HAMB works, just works.

BloodyKnuckles

17. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I would love to see more custom threads, but I like the set-up now. Scrolling through the mass of new threads everyday has helped me find some things I never in a million years have found otherwise. Instead of separating them would it be possible to put on the main page of the jalopy journal a list of "trending" threads that was sorted by prefix? Say the 5 most popular custom threads of that day and the 5 most popular hot rod threads.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. Simple,,and to the point. HRP

19. Well there focus is pretty narrow there were customs built before the war as well as inot the '60s that are still considered to be traditional by most experienced custom builders.

That said, I know a few pretty hard core traditional custom builders that were there did it and continued to do it until it was cool all over again. They refurse to join the site for two reasons one is the beaters that get called customs and the other is that they donot want to mix with the bag it and drag it crowd.

They donot ever mention thre lack of custom material on ratio with hot rods and never mention everything being all mixed up together.

Sorry I just couldn't resist adding fuel to the fire. ;)

20. kelly.ga

kelly.ga
    from georgia

Well, I was going to ask if anyone on here remembered a few years ago the editor of Rod and Custom, or Car Craft etc. had a 46,47,48 Ford coupe and converted it to a convertable using a late model Olds top. I have a 47 and was toying with the idea of making it a convertable. However it sounds like it might be the wrong question for this forum. If anyone does recall this and might have the magazine would you please PM me. Thanks

21. kelly.ga

kelly.ga
    from georgia

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Your in the wrong section kelly ga.. this is for questions about the workings of the site itself.