Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Los Angeles in the 1950's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 7, 2012.

1. No fat people.....

2. liljonny

liljonny
    from menifee,ca

Maybe all u old farts could correct me...but fast food just started blossoming?

3. Road Runner

Road Runner

A nostalgic look back at the birthdays of the Baby Boomers, who would eventually both witness and contribute to the entire world changing dramatically and irreversibly into todays reality.

No other generation in history accomplished all that in such a short time.

Love the soundtrack and editing....

4. Very cool view of Los Angeles back in the day. That was the world of my older brothers and sisters. My family visited Los Angeles a lot during the '60s and '70s, but mostly Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, and Santa Monica. Those were fun times!

We'd ride bicycles all over my Aunt's neighborhood without any problems. The ice cream truck came by daily around 2 pm with that familiar little jingle, and we were out there in force, waiting for that treat. I always thought my cousins had it so good!

Nowadays, I really have no desire to visit Los Angeles. Close to half of my relatives have escaped to Nevada and Oregon. Times do change, and not always for the better.

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I was born in Kalamazoo in 1956 and my folks moved to Garden Grove in 1963.
    Dad would kick the snow shovel across the yard and say "Dont EVER move anywhere youre gonna need one of those". Musta been part of the reason.
    Brookhurst and Westminister. Man, everything was within 10 speed range.
    The neighbors were into drag racing and took me along. That set the hook.
    The Navy took me away in 1975 and I've only been back for drive throughs.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Little Joes (the building itself) is still there,at least when I saw it about 1 year ago. My Mom just turned 86. I bet your Mom is happy to see downtown being revitalized and those streets cars making a comeback. Maybe you can take her to Clifton's when it reopens.

7. 296ardun

296ardun

Also born in Pasadena, '43, Huntington Hospital, remember all those scenes very well, drove to Los Angeles often, remember bean fields near where LAX is today, the art deco buildings, even stop signs that had moveable arms that said "stop" and "go." All the men on the sidewalks wore hats, and women dresses, most also wore hats, even in "casual" LA...

So, Mazooma, you also went to the burlesque? "New Follies Theater," on Main Street, we went to see Virginia Bell, quite an impression on a teenager...

San Gabriel Dragstrip (both of them), first went to Pomona in '57, Santa Ana, San Fernando, Colton, etc...LA was full of performance places then, Weiands, Edelbrock, Howard's Cams (s. Main Street, but not near the New Follies!), Engle Cams, Hilborn, Isky, Cooks machine Shop, etc...most of the manufacturers have left for cheaper places....Haven't lived in LA for decades, but still miss it...

8. autobilly

autobilly

That says it all right there!

9. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I love how quickly the lady was working the cash register! Just as fast as someone scanning bar codes into a computer today but they had to actually input numbers and think a bit too! I'll bet she counted your change back correctly as well instead of just looking at you blankly and handing you a receipt and your change all wadded up.

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Check out a documentary called Los Angeles Plays Itself on YouTube - the filmmakers dug through hundreds of movies shot in L.A. to find footage of how the town used to look. Here's Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SNc41zyLJ0

As for me, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs but was always in love with California from what I saw in TV and movies; of course product placement skewed my views a bit (I used to think everyone in L.A. drove Mopars because there were so many on TV!). Took me until '81 to actually get here, though.

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

I was born in Nebraska in 44 ,moved to Phoenix in 50 for my health. Bunch of my Dad's relatives move to LA area in the later 50s,was some thought of us moving there also. But these clips just reinforces my thoughts that I was born at least 30 years to late and more like 50.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This video matches my teen years exactly. I was 14 when it was made in '54. Too young to drive, I'd hitch a ride with my older buddy and we'd go to Hollywood Blvd. There was a used bookstore where I found bunches of early issues of HRM (big format) for 10c or 15c a copy. Still have most of them.

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

I think I'd file that under "WTF was he thinking".

14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke
    from Arizona

Lucky 'dogs' who were born/raised in SoCal while I was stuck growing up in that sh*thole called Wash DC. 1978 I said adios to DC and moved to Calif then wound up here in Arizona.

Please; cherish those memories. :)

15. autobilly

autobilly

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Ah, those were the good times! I grew up in Long Beach, CA and remember Los Angeles during the 50's. The shot of the 4 level interchange transistion roads showing the "Arroyo Seco freeway 66" was interesting, as that freeway later became the Pasadena freeway. The shot of the tunnel is also interesting, as this shot is actually a shot of Angels Flight cable car (tram)(above the tunnel). Good video, keep them coming!

17. My Dad worked at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel arcross the street from Graumans Chinese theater got us all tickets for the premier of "Rebel Without A Cause" James Dean's wrecked Porsche was in the lobby that night. that was painful to see
    My dad is the one holding the bag

Attached Files:

18. that Pasadena freeway was the first in America built in 1939. we lived in Azusa in 1951. my brother and two friends (all 13 year olds) rode their 1 speed bicycles to Santa Monica (check a map for the distance) the only way they knew was on the freeway. someone reported kids on bikes riding thru the tunnels on the freeway. 9:00 pm they were almost to south pasadena when they got busted. things were simple back then. we didn't have a phone to call, we did have a TV the only one in the neighborhood.

19. I was born in 42. moved to Azusa (Valleydale) in 1949 folks bought a new track house on a 1/4 acre for $2500. then moved to Pasadena in 1955. Mom worked at Gwinns Restraunt for 21 years. started as a CarHop in the drive in part. a real hot spot for cruising till Bob's Big Boy built their east Pasadena store. We lived on Oak st. about 2 blocks from IN-N-OUT

20. Old Man Taylor

Old Man Taylor

That is definitely cool! I was cruising those streets in 1958. The car I had wasn't dependable enough to take it that far in 1957. At that time I lived in Granada Hills, in the San Fernando Valley. In the movie they went by A. E. England Pontiac twice. It was at 6161 Hollywood Blvd. I bought my '64 GTO there in early 1964. I was born in Santa Monica in 1940. Moved to "the Valley" in 1949, where I lived until late 1964. My job required me to move to the South Bay area until 1970 when I moved to my current house in Escondido (north San Diego County).

Here's a link to a small story about my car that I just became aware of.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/video-vintage-8mm-footage-of-a-64-gto/

21. 55Ponchochief

55Ponchochief

What an awsome video,the cars the people total americana.I wish we could go back to those days. Dont forget buy it - build it - DRIVE THE S@$# OUT OF IT!!!! Thanks for posting it.

22. I just received some pictures of SoCal, back in the day, and thought that I would dig up this post and share them. Some have been posted before and some have not (I hope). Anyway, this is where I grew up... Enjoy!

Attached Files:

23. some more...

Attached Files:

24. still more...

Attached Files:

25. almost done...

Attached Files:

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was born in '42, Santa Clara. In '58, my best bud and I were driving down to L.A. every 2 weeks, just to 'hang' and cruise in the channeled '30 'A' Coupe, 21 stud '37 flathead, '39 box...We'd just fill up, check the water/oil, and take off. (400+ miles, no sweat...we'd stop off in Paso Robles, I had friends there)

We'd make all the shops, Chet Herbert's, Ak Miller's, Isky's old shop, and many others.
    Say, anybody know the whereabouts of Temple McFlathead??? Lost him around '72...

27. teejay99

teejay99

As a kid growing up 3000 miles EAST of California , L.A. was our "mecca". Late 50's , early 60's . we teenage geniuses would shoot the shit in the cafeteria and the topic would always be hot cars and L.A. , hot chicks and L.A. ...you get the picture .
    Detroit was just across the river and had a lot of our interest up until the riot in the late 60's . With the 'Nam war going on there were lots of available babes looking for fun " over in Canada " ...AND Canadian beer . To be sure there were lots of hot cars in Motown , and there was Detroit Dragway nearby but it just wasn't L.A. , atleast in our minds . L.A. had Kooky and Barris and Beach Boys ( musta played "409" a million times ) , Mamas and Papas ( California dreamin' ) and , and , and .

I never got out there until '98 when the Ford Dealer I worked at bought 3 Saleen Mustangs from Steve saleen and I went along for the ride to check them out .

T

28. teejay99... I have said it before but I'll say it again. " Southern California had to be the best place to grow up, at least in the '50s and early '60s".

29. teejay99

teejay99

Yeah , Grump , I agree . They seemed to have it all ....cars, music ,warm weather , girls , fresh ideas ....and MONEY .

T

30. scrubba

scrubba

I lived there briefly , 1971-73. I attended U C L A and actually lived right off the 7600 blk of Sunset near Highland . I'd walk up to Hollywood after work and just take in the 3- D Saturday Night Live show that always appeared on the sidewalk . Many of the old buildings were still there then as I saw in the vidieo. I wound up having to leave as the regulations , the people and the outragious cost of living drove me out . Besides that, I got a letter from C A R B wanting me to reto fit a 1939 Chevrolet truck to meet 1974 California smog standards .............. scrubba