Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think Vic might have rolled his eyes...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

It's interesting to hear the different opinions. 'Value' and 'interest' varies in the eye of the beholder. When I bought my '29 AV8 it was pretty ratty. Gradually I made it the way I wanted it to look, did everything myself. Some would say I should have left the original rusty patina, my wife thought it just looked bad. So first it got rattle can primer, then the driveline, then a proper seat. Now it's shiny, but all the old body scars have not been erased. It's not too shiny or too straight to my eye, but others might disagree on both ends of the spectrum. What it is is what I want, and I did it at home with simple hand tools. And I'm not done yet. But it is the one car I've owned that when I see it in the garage I say 'wow, that's mine!'. And THAT'S what it's all about.

Attached Files:

2. Burny

Burny

I was surprised at the price that they expected this to go for. I agree, it's a bit over- restored. But I'm glad it was brought back, now I have 35 high res images to use for my build instead of the hand full garnered from a thread started back in 2004! One thing that jumped out at me though, and maybe I am wrong here, but the gauges sure look like a set of SW winged repops...

Attached Files:

3. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Man! THAT KILLS IT! Hardly period correct.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

The good thing about these crazy prices is that historically significant cars no longer get street rodded and distroyed.

The bad thing is that some get over-restored, which is not as bad.
    But it sure erases a lot of history....

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

That's where I'm at,too.Too overdone,but it's iconic nonetheless.Opinions are like,uh....you know.I wan't to do as much on my next one as I can and if it looks a little non-professional,oh well.

6. Some of the replies on this thread amuse me, if you study the photos barring the interior ( & those cheap crap chinesee repop SWs) the car is quite close to how it was built 60 years ago. The resto has made the roadster marginally better than how it was but remember the cars Vic sponsored were always above average in finish and appearance, Pierson bros. coupe is a perfect example. Guaranteed you get that roadster on the dry lakes or Salt and it'll look just like the vintage pics except the shit gauges!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

an historic hot rod for sure. $210,000? Keep in mind that Bruce Canepa had the current iteration of the Doane Spencer roadster for sale for several months at under that amount by a few bucks. I don't think there were any takers and it's back with BM, I'm sure.

dj

8. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

It kills me that someone didn't take the time to find and purchase the original type SW gauges. How can anyone ask that kind of money with these cheap offshore SW gauges???
    (Yes, I have all pre '49 REAL SW gauges in my roadster)
    <table class="details fullwidth"><tbody><tr><td>Monterey
    Friday, August 19, 2011 - Saturday, August 20, 2011 </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="5">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td>1932 Ford Edelbrock Special Highboy Roadster </td> <td align="right">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="position:relative; display:block" align="left" width="562"> [​IMG]
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

And the bad thing about over restoring and "Pebble Beaching" milestone vintage Hot Rods is that they become so "valued", most owners salt them away in museums and warehouse collections. They become too perfect and too valuable to regularly hit the streets.

I think "over restored" also fits a lot of vintage race cars-FED, gassers that I've seen too.
    It's a "Monkey Trap", and I'd probably feel somewhat paranoid driving one of the cars too if I were lucky enough to be the caretaker.

Things could be worse; enthusiasts with $$$ such as Bruce Meyer could be collecting Faberge' eggs or art with their money instead of restoring vintage Hot Rods.

10. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

For some reason the P word (patina) irks me. Not because I don't appreciate an unrestored vehicle. People just use it too much to describe their quintessential (the other word that bugs me) hotrod.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

The Vintage car guys are a couple of years ahead of us, but I think we are catching up.

In the late '80s, I heard a story of a guy that bought a spaceframe chassied Lotus GP car.

The car had been crashed at some point, early in its life.
    ( Jim Clark driving, or Innes Ireland, cant remember which )

A corner of the chassis was damaged, and back at the factory new tubes were spliced in with gussets over the splices.

It was known what day that crash had been, what corner on what track, who drove, and probably who welded in the tubes too.

The collector had the repair re-done , so it was invisible.

That to me, is erasing history.

I think that, from what I've seen, Bruce Meyer is one of the good ones...

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Agreed Alex. They better not ever repaint Gray Baskerville's fender either. It's history as well.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

x2...

14. [QUOTE The attempt to recreate the original lettering looks silly and out of place on such a high end restoration.[/QUOTE]

That was the way the person who did the restoration requested it be done.