Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bosley MK 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. That is a good lookin' car...definitely would like to get more info on that one

3. Weasel

Weasel

Cool looking car with definite Boano bodied Ferrari influence on the front - all it needs is Charlie's Angels...:D

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Beautiful: I love that side window treatment.

At one point it could go either way, and it was an even split between "Vintage" and pontoon-bodied specials, interestingly as they were often very similar under the skin. Ferrari Barchetta lookalikes were quite common. As there is more than a little Barchetta about the AC Ace I have often wondered about the possibilities of Cobra kit bodies on hot rod chassis. Take a 'glass Cobra, lose the front fender bulges, cut front wheelwells open like on a Ferrari Testarossa (the '50s one) to show hairpins and side steering, raise the front valance to show a drilled Ford axle, add tall crossplies on steelies or early Halibrands, and?

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Found this courtesy of the WWW

Richard Bosley, a horticulturist from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:City>Mentor <st1:State w:st="on">Ohio</st1:State>, had never built a hot rod or car of any sort. He was a car lover at age 21 who in mid 1952 decided he wanted to build his dream car that would surpass anything on the market at the time. He owned a Jaguar XK 120 and an Olds Rocket 88 Coupe. These were hot cars of the day, but coming up short for design and power. Without any experience he started work, learning as he went along. He built a 4" diameter tube frame, added a 1950 Ford front cross member, a 1948 Mercury rear end with quick change, coil spring, four shocks and with air bags, a 102" wheelbase, overall length 168" and 48" high at the roof. The tread is 58" front and 60" rear. The weight is 3360 lb. with 10 gallons of fuel in its 55 gallon tank. Brakes are <st1:City w:st="on">Lincoln</st1:City> 12" with magnesium center-lock wheels. Transmission being a 5 speed built by the New Process company. The engine is the famous Chrysler hemi with (6) carbs. Mr. Bosley also hand laid the beautiful glass body over a male mold. Instruments, taillights, windshield etc. are from various cars from the 1930's and 40's.

Attention to detail exceeds even the most expensive European car of its time. This car has been in 4 years of restoration by vintage Prep in <st1:City w:st="on">Santa Ana</st1:City>. All parts were with the car when purchased by Mr. Ron Kellogg, which helped in the restoration. This car is the first of two cars built by Mr. Bosley. The second car was built in the 60's with a different design, again being built with a glass body. This Bosley was featured in Motor World 5/53, The Motor in<st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region> 7/55, Road and Track 8/55, Motor Life 10/55, Hot Rod 10/55, Automobile 3/90, and the Salon Car in Road and Track 9/94. Len Frank, writing in Road and Track, said that when he first saw the Road and Track story in 1955, that the Bosley was the most exciting, gorgeously proportioned shape he had ever seen. Mr. Strother McMinn, Pasadena Art Center College of Design, stated in 1955 that the Bosley changed the thinking of his students at that time. They had previously been influenced by European designers of the day. Bosley went sailing past their self-imposed limitations.

Bosley ran up about 100,000 miles on it before he traded it to Dick Doane, a well-known SCCA racer and GM dealer, for an ex-Sebring Corvette SR-2 that was to form the basis for the Bosley Interstate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <O:p.

.</O:p

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Love the stying

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw the photos in either or both of the copies of Automobile or Road and Track and have always thought that the car was one of the best designs out of that era,
    From reading what ModelAKeith posted it appears that Mr Bosley had done his homework and had picked all the right pieces at the time for a serious sports car that would run with the best of them.
    The 4 inch round tube frame is similar to what Ferrari used at the time and the rest of the chassis is pure and refined mid 50's hot rod.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

9. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

10. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

55 gallon fuel tank? Whoa. Where the hell did he put it?

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Gorgeous! Why was it doing duty as a tow vehicle?!

12. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

The MkI was found and restored by Ron Kellogg here in LA. I saw it at a show soon after it was finished and it was stunning. The late Len Frank did a wonderful article on it for (I think) Road & Track soon after. I have photos but it will probably take me two years to find them.

Kurt O.

13. If you look at the rear shot the fuel filler is on the roof and the tube is visible through the glass. Too cool!

14. If my mind serves me right I´ve seen the restored Bosley Mk1 featured in a magazine not long ago. The problem is that I have more magazine than memory, it was great photos, I remember that at least... Was it Collectible Automobiles, Car Collector, Motor Trend Classic, Octane or Classic & Sports Cars?

It was also featured in Hot Rod Magazine, October 1955.

A great combination, a beatuiful styled one of a kind American sports car with a lot of Hot Rod flauvor.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

16. froghawk

froghawk

Great car. Top notch in concept and execution. I think there was a brief item on it in The Rodder's Journal awhile back.

17. Foul

Foul

18. There was an article in Car & Driver in the late 80s about a guy who took an old Alfa Romeo coupe body (the roof almost looks identical) and turned it into a similar sort of V8 powered "supercar". I'll bet the Bosley was a big influence on him. What a neat piece.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The other day when we were talking about the Kellison I referred to having a Chrysler engine and such instead of the y block. This is the car that I referenced when thinking about engine choices. I seen it only in the small blurb in The Rodder's Journal and I fell in love with it especially since it's a one off Chrysler powered car. I love it!!!

20. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Mentioned in TRJ #27.

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I love that car! Better looking than "most" Ferraris....
    The top/side windows are so cool, how the sides "flow" into the glass.
    It looks fast just sitting there....
    And fuck man......it's HEMI powered.....what's not to like?

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Damn fine ride! What else can I say?

23. Zumo

Zumo

Very clean lines. I have a concept in my head of a similar car but made out of a mutilated 50-52 chevy. I would power it with a tri carb 409 Chevy. Now All I need is the money and skill and I am set.

24. Go figure. I wrote a little about that one yesterday on the Kellison thread
    as I said in there, it currently resides in the basement of the Peterson Museum. Below is a pic that Denise took when she and ChevyGirlRox were out there last.
    Really interesting thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412488&page=5

[​IMG]

25. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Ken Gross brought this car to The Louis Vuitton classic in NYC ten years ago.It was a really trick piece.

26. I haven't thought about this car in many years - nice to know it still exists in such fine condition.

He was clearly influenced by some of the designs from Italy but, the form execution was exceptional compared to many of the other fiberglass efforts of that time. Still a good looking car today.

27. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Quite similar in looks to the Ferrari 340 America, chassis #0082, winner of the 1951 Mille Miglia.(pics from Ferrari, The Legend by Mark Konig)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. meteor

meteor

Cool car, I love it. Really dig that 'ready-to-pounce' body styling.

29. autobilly

autobilly

Very interesting. I dig stories of inexperienced guys who almost single handed, defy the odds and convention to design, engineer and scratch build such fantastic cars. Inspirational!

30. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

Hi Gang...

The Petersen is currently displaying the Bosley next to one of the Old Yaller cars (spelling?). Attached are some pictures.

Also attached is a picture of the second and only other car that Bosley created called the "Bosley Interstate". It survives but needs restoration.

Hope you enjoy...

Geoff

Attached Files: