Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Rules of the Salt: 1951

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. "I just think its great that 61 years after its birth, the SCTA still welcomes enterprising hot rodders from all over the globe to boogie on the salt and try to break a record."

I agree one of the many reasons why i am addicted to the salt flats. No matter how tough times may be for us or myself, i cant miss a year at Bonneville. Thanks what a great scan as well with such cool cars. The hot rod on the pic of the modified roadster class is so damn awesome!

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

They support the enterprising spirit that NASCAR let die. Thats why my interest in Bonneville is so strong, and I'll get there someday (as a spectator)

4. koth

koth

Great article Ryan, thanks for sharing it! We are making plans to go next year. Would really appreciate names of motels/campgrounds, how soon you need to book a place. This has been on my bucket list for too long!

5. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Evidence that a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

6. Jay (Jive-Bomber) ... great stuff! ... maybe Ryan should let you run this place more often! :rolleyes: :D

Coincidentally, that same magazine is really the whole reason I'm even a Hot Rodder! ... that same "little book" was what inspired my father (at the age of 15) to want to build a Hot Rod and/or a Bonneville racer.

It wasn't until 1954 that he found a candidate car to build (he looked all over North Dakota for a roadster ... but "settled" on a Deuce 5wd) ... and once again, returned to his cherished copy of Hot Rods Trend Book No. 102 for inspiration when building his coupe ... Lynn Yakel's chopped & channeled Deuce 5wd was featured on page 72 & 73:

cover.jpg Page 72.jpg Page 73.jpg

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's all Mr. Jay Ward... You can see more of him on Tuesdays and Thursdays right here on The Jalopy Journal. Try the veal... and don't forget to tip your waitresses...

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Yup! That's the one!-- That little thing is a gem! Killer cars in there. I love the 50s little sized specials from Petersen and Fawcett publishing.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Rad, Rad, Rad!!!! I am sure the guys like Bobby Green and Lucky Burton have poured over articles like this trying to encapsulate the authenticity into the 1952 lakester. What's even better is that they are able to do that and still meet today's safety restrictions.

I am so stoked I could punch myself. Thanks for the article Mr. Jay Ward, I look forward to hearing more from you.

10. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

11. great thread!! thanks

12. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Awesome! Ryan, I'm digging Jay Ward's contributions to your blog!

13. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Me too!!

.....and that mag was my first one in a long row of smal pages I've bought over the years.
    When I first started to flirt with the idea of building a Hot Rod I met my now good friend, klazurfer, trough some mutual aquaintances.

he said one day we met. You come by and I have this small mag for ya.
    He had one copy extra of the #102 trend book.

THAT little book sure lit the fire.
    Should be reprinted for all to have. .......but you can't duplicate the wonderfull smell of old mags though:)

Paul