Register now to get rid of these ads!

History FAMILY DRAGSTER HISTORY...GOLDEN YEARS OF SLINGSHOTS....part 3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eastcoast57, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Last i left off was at the end of the 1968 season....Tom Raley was becoming accustomed to his new fueler and it was time to advance....

In the winter of 68-69, my grandad called up Don Long on the west coast again...He needed a new, sleeker and longer chassis with a DEEPER roll cage..(Buster would shake a finger at Raley on the starting line because he hung out so far...slump down in that thing!)...Hanna body, and a new Cerny paint job...

The order was placed and arrived in time for some early spring testing.....

[​IMG]

Nanny strapping Raley in...

[​IMG]

At the hit...

[​IMG]

fillin it up with the pop from the can,,,

[​IMG]

Burn outs were becoming a new state of the art deal....you poured your bleach/VHT, did a quick spurt behind the starting line and rolled up to stage....Raley always wore two sets of goggles and Nanny would take em off and then scrape the tires down...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then the Nationals in Indy...'69.....
    My grandparents were in line behind Mulligan when the accident happened....Raley was running consistant 6.50s...went to second round against Snake...only to lose traction and lose the round.....

Shots from the bridge at Indy....

[​IMG]

the FAMOUS shot lookin down....

[​IMG]

After Indy...Raley would go on to run a 6.64 at Atco(gotta check that date)...solidifying their second NHRA Division 1 Top Fuel Championship...

[​IMG]

2. Heres a few more mix of pictures....

National Trails in Columbus Ohio....

[​IMG]

On the roller starters....

[​IMG]

FAR OUT! it was the 60s after all.....look at those ED PINK racing jackets!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

INDY....this car was stunning. The paint job that Cerny accomplished was absolutely beautiful..blue and gold lace with a fade and gold leaf....

[​IMG]

In 1970, Raley would show strong and run two national records of a 6.63 and an unheard of 6.53 at the Dallas World Finals...

Heres the record run....

[​IMG]

Theres Mr Couch watching at Indy on the top....and the end of the 71 season on the bottom....notice the canards, a caveat of things to come....

[​IMG]

In September of 1971, Nanny and Pop got a telegram from Western Union, requesting their presence at the White House. Nixon put together a "gathering of speed convention" with the likes of Petty, Andretti, and Jacki Stewart....Garlits was invited with his new "mid engined" car, but could not attend because he sold it a week prior....So they loaded up from the farm and away they went....

Nixon and Mario lookin at the digger...

[​IMG]

Pop (with his back to us) meeting Nixon...

[​IMG]

"Wonder if ill fit in that thing Mario??"

[​IMG]

By the end of 71, it was becoming harder and harder for the Front engine rails to keep up....Garlits and Pat Foster(testing Woody's car) had run rear engined cars, and were succeeding....(for the most part).....the days of the slingshot were ending sadly...but a few racers would hold out till the bitter end....

Next time ill focus on the dying days of the front engine fuel dragster with my grandparents being outlaw hold outs, and then on to the ARMY days.....

See you in the staging lanes....

T.H.

3. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Outstanding history post!!

4. Nixon, leaning on your car, talking to Mario whilst Jackie Stewart looks on. You couldn,t make this up.
    Thank you so much for sharing these fantastic images and stories.

5. riceman

riceman

I am Lovin it !

6. LZ

LZ

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Its priceless.
    I remember the shots from the white house that were in ND. If I remember right he was talking with Stewart and looked over at the FED and said "whats that?"
    kind of slighting Stewart who was probably thinking about the Barbaric stupid straight line machine:D:rolleyes::p

I saw them run many times.. Great memories...
    thank you

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Damn, these threads are so cool. Thanks for taking the time to post them up for us!

8. I dont think Stewart could hang on to an Ed Pink early model.....damn roundy sideways racers...

T.H.

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Another awesome thread........wow at the Whitehouse with all those big names and President Nixon, what an honor.

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Just where were you Friday night son... As a matter of fact I believe you drove EIGHT HOURS for it???

Hmm??? :D:p

Great posts Tyler!! Keep em' coming!

J Shaw

11. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Rad! Your family kicks ass!

12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

13. Haha USAC sprint cars are a breed apart from everything else.....i would have drove 12 hours...

damnit Levi Jones!!

T.H.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thankyou Tyler, from another FED driver. Thankyou very much, absolutely great! Lippy (with a tear in his eye) in Ks. :)

15. motorhead711

motorhead711

Sweet pictures and a cool story for sure...

16. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

This history lesson and amazing pictures just keeps getting better. Thanks for this lesson. This is the Great Expectations car I remember so well. Exactly what God intended a Top Fuel car to look like. :D Mike

17. 85-percent

85-percent

Thank you for such wonderful pics and memories.

Great Expectations - what a wonderful and classic name for a FED!

Jim and Allison were the antithesis of the leather jacketed drag racing hoodlums, from the folklore of the time. I always appreciated that such an outstanding husband and wife ran a car as monsterous as a 60's FED!

And it was always so cool to see pics of Allison doing pretty much everything that had to be done! that was ultra-cool. Especially considering the times.

-90% jimmy

18. Heres the '69 nats.....start watching and listening closely around 3 minutes in.....

T.H.

19. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Cool photos, Tyler. Keep em coming.

20. Killer burnout twords the end of '70....new chromed headers....

[​IMG]

T.H.

21. Ivory Hunter

Ivory Hunter
    from Texas

That car was beyond beutifull sanitary!!!!!

22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

tyler appreciate you putting this together. if we can help it, the front motor cars will never die!!! you taking your car to the hamb drags again?

23. Were runnin The Lump this weekend at Englishtown.....so hopefully if the clutch stays in it and all goes well, we will make it to MOKAN....were plannin on it!

T.H.

24. [​IMG]

T.H.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  25. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Another great post. Thanks, and keep them coming.

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Is that your dad, Bobby... or just a young fan?

27. a young fan from New England i think.....funny thing is, they will get a couple envelopes every year with pictures and a letter....from a once young guy like that tellin em how cool they were......

T.H.

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

29. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

A great video as well

30. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

I remember them coming to Bowling Green in the Golden years,... my Hero's ...............tell them Thanks for letting a snot nosed kid just hang around. ill never forget it .............Fuckin Awesome Post :D:D:D:D:D