Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbf 289 Distributor problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by propwash, May 22, 2008.

1. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Looked in the Tech Forums for a thread on installation of 289 Dizzy. I took out the old one, it had the o/pump drive shaft in it. Removed that, installed it in the new distributor and the entire unit will NOT seat on the manifold. I'm a sbc guy, so I'm used to the slot for o/pump shaft needing to be lined up. What makes the sbf dizzy "drop" into place? The shaft is hexagonal and appears to go in any way you want. I've even tried a couple of "light" taps on the dizzy body to see if it was just a bit sticky, but that's not what's wrong.
    Appreciate any help whatsoever.

tnx
    dwj

2. Frank

Frank

The hex shaft just slides into the oil pump. Usually they have a washer that keeps them from getting pulled out.

Have you tried turning the crank one way or another to see if it will help the cam gear and dizzy and hex shaft to line up? It would probably help to have a buddy working your crank back and forth while you try to stab it.

Geez that sounded gay.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Yeah, I just asked my neighbor (another hot rodder) if he would mind wiggling my crank while I played with my shaft....he closed his garage door....guess I'll have to slip a note under his door.

Thanks for the suggestion...the shaft just isn't slipping into the dist?

tnx
    dwj

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You will have to bump the motor over a little to get the distributor to seat,just keep presure on it so it wont jump out. Jeff

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

They usually click 3 times. First you seat the oil shaft, then the cam gear, then... I don't know it just goes in. Blow on it and feel for the wet spot. :D

You're not doing anything wrong, they're a pain sometimes.

6. Paul2748

Paul2748

If you can get the shaft so it won't pull up, get a 1/4 drive, 1/4 deep socket and extension and move the oil pump shaft a little at a time until the distributor drops in. The problem is that the hex on the shaft is not lined up so the distibutor teeth will drop down. Sometimes it is only a c**t hair off. This is what I do with small block Fords (and YBlocks)

7. Frank

Frank

A little lube on the end of the shaft could help. Also, the pointy end goes up. Its the blunt end that goes in the pump.

8. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Im a SBF ford guy and I know the pains of the dizzy. What Paul said is right on. Only way to do it. Even if the oil pump drive shaft is seated, sometimes the gears between the cam and the dizzy can be a bitch. Also, make sure that drive shaft gets seated into the pump but be careful or you'll be pulling a pan (ask how I know)

Rob

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Thank you all very much for your help. I'm always in awe of the breadth and depth of knowledge available in here. I will be wigglin' n jigglin' on this thing this afternoon and will provide a success story as soon as practicable.

"if yer dizzy's in a tizzy, give a wizzle on your snizzle"

dj

10. Kramer

Kramer

You better play the lotto. It says you have 289 posts and you're working on a 289.:D I have never had problem dropping a dist. into a small block ford. But like others have said the shaft is suppose to have a keeper on it so it won't come out with the distributor. I usually turn the rotor a little as it goes in. You might try to get the shaft in place first, then the dist. But as Law said, be careful not to drop it into the pan. Good Luck.:)

11. If the oil pump drive has come out of the pump because someone removed the spring type washer that keeps it in, I always carefully put it back in the pump first. Don't drop it or you'll be hatin life, cuz you gotta then pull the pan.
    I then slip the diz in with the rotor lined up for timing. Its very rare that the diz will now drop in because of the shaft. I either use a remote start button or a bud to hit the key and just bump it a little while I push down on the diz. Usually 2 or 3 bumps and life is good. Sometimes you get lucky if the seal isn't too tight and don't need to push down on the diz while you bump and therefore can do it by yourself.
    Good Luck

12. k-member

k-member

I sometimes use a little grease in the block to keep the shaft centered in to hole and use the 1/4" socket trick and sometime some choice words help too.

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I usually set it in, give it a good wiggle, pull it out. Repeat a dozen times, throw a few wrenches, drink a few beers. It will eventually make you feel like a real idiot when it just falls into place.

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Amazing....I had no idea that pan gasket for sbf had gone up to $15....

'nuff said?

"happiness is a warm garage floor"

dj