Register now to get rid of these ads!

Higher Learning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 30, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Ryan,

For once, you have understated something. As I lack your eloquence, I'll be brief and hope to pass a lot of meaning. The most recent examples of Kev's work had something else. Refinement. These were not a working draft, but tools that had been well thought out, tuned to a fine detail. Not a mere Master's degree of detail, but a Doctorate. Such equipment being in use for half of my own life is very humbling. Thanks for sharing, Kev.

3. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

The best thing I've found is when you send a PM to him asking some questions, he answers and is very humble about any praise you may offer for his great tools and posts. I bet you can't say that about those with the credentials on their walls! Kev's credenitals decorate his walls, they are the tools he uses to ply his trade. Some day I hope to do more than just see his work on the HAMB and have a brief conversation using a PM.

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I've been to his shop a few times and it is amazing to see all of these incredible tools and parts that he makes.
    The stuff that he does, cannot be learned, either you have it or you dont.
    He is definetly one of those guys, that we will still be hearing about in 30 years from now.
    He is going to want to kick my ass for saying this, but Kevin is definetaly well on his way to become a hot rod legend.

5. Anyone can get a graduate degree in anything...it just takes time and money. I've known plenty of "educated" morons in my life, and plenty of "life educated" people with real knowledge.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I absolutely disagree with this... Anyone that has ever worked their ass off in a decent graduate school knows how tough it is. Doesn't matter how much money or time you have. You have to know how to play the game and you have to be smart and dedicated or you will never make it through.

Now, that said and out of the way... I know a ton of folks that can do the above, have done the above, and are really damn smart folks... but simply can't approach something like a guy like Kev does. It's a different kind of intelligence... and in my opinion, it's much more rare and just as valuable as the other kind.

I think Scotty said it much better than I did.

7. There's lots of comments that I could make about this, I'm sure someone else with a lot more vinegar will do it for me.

I agree with this statement completely.

8. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I didn't want to use myself as an example, but fuck it...

I went through college and graduate school (I have an MBA) without ever getting a 'C' in any class. However, I don't consider myself all that intelligent... I just made it a point to work harder than anyone else.

Now, I'm pretty proud of that accomplishment... but if I am really honest with myself, I can admit that there is no way in hell I could pull off some of the things in the highlighted posts above... no matter how hard I worked... Frankly, Kev has a different level of intelligence than I do.

As rare as this kind of thinking is, it amazes me how much of it there is in the hot rod world. We are supossed to be a bunch of hoodlums and low lifes man...

10. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

The best example of a guy with those skills had to be Smokey Yunick and I have seen this kind of intelligence in action in my best friend Don who is now deceased. I think it's a matter of wiring in the brain. I perceive one common thread in guys like this. Invariably they are people oriented guys who are willing to put down what they are doing and talk to someone on the phone. Back in the 60's a buddy of mine used to call Smokey Yunick for advice every time he came across a tough nut to crack dealing with a Chevrolet engine. Smokey was always liberal with his vast knowledge and so was my friend Don who taught High School Auto Shop. (A program that has been cut from the budget of so many high schools.)

Unfortunately we are only now just beginning to develop learning institutions devoted to developing these folk's skills in a more formalized way. Leading the way are places like Universal Technical Institute. I just wish there were more opportunities available to the guys with the natural talent and desire.

11. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

when he posted that thread....i was thinking i like to know more about him.....bio??? who he is, what got him in to hot rods.....does he do this for a living?

12. 53burb

53burb

We are supossed to be a bunch of hoodlums and low lifes man... Ryan, now ya had to blow all of our reputations. That was totally uncalled for. Now I have to go get a masters degree in something.....gee, thanks! KNUX!

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

It is a different kind of intelligence, a different way of looking at the world. I, for example, can look at something mechanical and think of it in a mechanical sense - as in rebuilding an automatic transmission without book training, or grasping electrical concepts. However, I don't have the highest levels in "street smarts" and can make social blunders with ease! I also was not an A student in college, but got my Associates in Technology.

Then there are those with the street smarts - they can have no clue how things work mechanically, and may be weak in book smarts.
    And they certainly contribute plenty to bettering our society!

The ones with book smarts may get straight A's in school, but can't seem to pump gas on their own, and can be socially retarded.
    I know guys who have all the ASE tests, and still have a hard time diagnosing a fouled plug.

MOST of us are a blend of all three, and one of the aspects will certainly be stronger. In a world like ours (cars) I would expect to see a bunch of mechanical thinkers in here.

I definetely admire the way Kev can look at the world through the eyes of a tool craftsman, much like an automotive Einstein!

Just my take on it, thats all....... :)

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'm not that surprised...

Really thinking stuff through is in its own way, an act of defiance.

15. 30roadster

30roadster

I went to the university of Georgia for my undergraduate degree. My room-mate was in law school and the top of his class. He was interested in a girl that lived in the apartment above us and wanted to cook her dinner. He had never cooked anything in his life and so decided that hamburgers would be easy and asked for my help. I told him to get the hamburger out of the freezer and thaw it while i went to the grocery store to get what he would need. He asked me, "how do you defrost the meat?" I told him to fill the sink with hot water and put the meat in it - I'd be right back. I got back and there were little chunks of meat floating in the sink. My old roomie has gone on to be very sucessessful......but i would not want him working on my cars! :)

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

I think some people have "Mechanical Ability" and some people don't. Kev's definitely got it to a high degree.

Long ago people with that elevated mechanical aptitude (nowadays="gearheads") were esteemed for their command of the processes of machinery. Whereas today they are looked-down upon somewhat. What is so terrible about working with your hands?

Maybe it's in the psyche of the mechanically minded, that to figure out a better way and the accomplishment associated with it is sometimes payment enough, rather than to charge an arm and a leg as some attorney would?

oh well- I'll shut up now...

Great job KiwiKev!!!

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

"Long ago people with that elevated mechanical aptitude (nowadays="gearheads") were esteemed for their command of the processes of machinery. Whereas today they are looked-down upon somewhat. What is so terrible about working with your hands?"

Sometime in the future, when the world goes to shit, we'll be the ones they look up to again.
    Us and the gardeners/hunters.

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Gotta new sig.....

You'd never know that by the majority of posts/replies around here though.....would ya?????

19. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I an constantly blown away by the "smarts" that are displayed on the HAMB. I don't know how many of you guys have a college education, and I'm betting that if you do, a lot of what you do wasn't learned in any school.

example:
    Littleman's coupe.

Skratch's striping.

Jimmy's renderings.

Ryzart's artwork.

Anything that Bass touches.

Fatlucky's upholstery work.

Bob Bleed's music.

Donnie's flake jobs.

Plowboy's crazy creations.

I can keep going, but I'll bet that you get my point. Damn I love this place.

- Joe

20. Retrorod

Retrorod

This all goes to show what I have always believed, there are some really QUALITY people on this board and their creations, wether it be the cars or their tools, demonstrates beyond a doubt that talent isn't lacking here!!! I am truely humbled by you guys!

21. Firefly

Firefly

I totally agree with what has been said, awesome talents.

Here's a tip - next time you are having a beer with KiwiKev ask him to explain the link between Kiwis and "number 8 fencing wire"

22. ponchoman

ponchoman

Ryan,
    I spent the best part of 30 years working around people with all kinds of engineering degrees, on some of this countries most sophisticated weapons systems. But a lot of the most creative things I have ever seen are done by my friends with H.S diplomas, or sometimes GED's,etc. in building some awesome hotrods.

23. one37tudor

one37tudor

It would be interesting to me to know how many of these really talanted people are left handed? Why, left handed people use the right side of their brains for creative and artistic endevors and for some reason the right side appears to process information differently than the left side.
    It is really supprising how many people that are thought of as being some of the best in their field are left handed.

I am probally the only one in the world that would wonder about this kind of stuff!!!

Scott...

24. word is kevin loves peperoni and pinaple pizza... brain food!

25. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

I think we're trying to draw a line between intelligent and innovative. An intelligent person can do tensor analysis and give you a complicated, correct mathematical answer. An innovative person can look at a machine and see ways to make it better, make it perform a different task that it was designed for, etc. I don't see that they're in conflict or mutually exclusive. Anyone ever see film of the old radial airplane engines where the crankshaft was fixed to the airframe and the cylinder rotated around the crank? The prop was mounted on the cylinders some way.

26. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Exactly. In doing so, we are losing sight of Ryan's original post. He gave us a commentary on one mans talents, displayed in the tools he makes, as well as the products of that equipment. It was in no way a statement of the value of one education over another, but a deserved recognition of fine craftsmanship from, what some might say, is an unexpected source.

Me niether...

Again, kudos to Kev.

27. I just caught this post and I just want to say........Shut the Fuck up, all of you! Also, how do you know that I'm not highly educated? ....I didn't think it was that obvious. You wouldn't think I was so smart if saw me trying to tune up a lawn mower, or anything else. No auto shop where I went to school. I actually left high school early at the age of 15, not as a drop out but to start an apprentiship as a panelbeater (bodyman) but after my 3 month trial period decided that I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life. Anyway like I said....SHUT THE FUCK UP!

28. Sorry Kev, I told you before, you are my idol.....it used to be Von Zipper, but now its you. I just can't help myself.....;)

29. I was just kidding! Caught me off guard. What I meant to say was Ahh shucks and thanks Ryan!