Register now to get rid of these ads!

Defunct Dragstrip book/pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Anyone do a pictorial on defunct Dragstrips? I see a picture here and there once in a while in National Dragster or some of the monthly magazines, but i'd love to have a book/compilation of closed down strips.

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

We think a like !! I'd buy that book. Grouch I beleive you were from NY area?? remember Dover in Wingdale NY?

3. the duke

the duke

4. Skirv

Skirv

5. No i don't. I was kinda young when i left N.Y. But i remember Islip(?) and National Speedway

6. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I remember National. I thought Islip was like figure 8 crash type stuff

7. Thanks for the great link!! I have been looking for some pix of the Hollish Bros Comp Coupe out of Akron, Ohio and there was a couple there. Thanks again!!!

8. Brian C

Brian C

Islip had an NHRA sanctioned 1/8 mile strip that was adjacent to the oval up until 1972. It ran on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons. In 1972 drag racing ended when they needed to exoand the pit area for the oval races.

9. Brian C

Brian C

One thing I recall hearing about was that Detroit Dragway and NY National Speedway were owned by the same guy. Can't recall the name though.

10. charley noe

charley noe

Hey guys! i ran a 69 chevy 2 (nova) in the early 70's in ss/ga car was black pearl white and ran out of g&d automotive and Freds speed shop We also ran a 68 camaro in e/mod I was wondering if anyone out there remembers these cars or might have any pics? thanx charley noe

11. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Gil Kohn

CC

12. Larry T

Larry T

Don't know if this will work or not, but try

http://www.namethattrack.com/

Here's one I had of L.A. Dragway at Faxon, Oklahoma.
    I got others of Green Valley, Amarillo Dragway in the early 70's, and Cherokee Dragway in Frederick but my scanners not working right now. Some of these are still open, some closed.

[​IMG]

13. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Here's a real depressing photo of the legendary (at least to us right coasters) Aquasco Dragway.:eek: This is from a few years ago. I'd love to see a book of old strips. I sure visited a lot of them. Mike

Attached Files:

14. Da Injun

Da Injun

I went out there last April and snapped a few photos. It was ashame to see it in the state it was in but overall it could have been much worse. I believe they planned on re-opening it but those plans fell through. The one around here that has been gone for a long while is Beechmont Drag Strip. I think it closed in 62'. And if someone made a book on the defunct strips I would buy it. I remember some sort of web site that showed defunct strips and race tracks, but I cannot find it anymore.

15. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

There were a couple of strips in or near Allentown PA.. Convair field 55-56,
    Vargo Dragway Quakertown PA.

Plus Mountian View ,Wind Gap, Allentown Fairgrounds

Attached Files:

16. ...a few years back I found this book called "the History of America's Speedways" by Allan E. Brown, copyright 1984 and reprinted 1994.
    International Standard book Number 0-931105-42-0 (ISBN No.)
    Here's an address that may help you locate one:
    America's Speedways P.O. Box 448 Comstock, Mich. 49321 Ph. 616- 361-6229

It's 596 pages, about 5x8 inches, hardback, and contains info on dragstrips, oval tracks and roadcourses, with listings for over 6400 tracks , with over 400 photos. It dates back to the boardtrack days.

It tells location and dates known for each track when in service, and if still in service today. Any HAMBer would like this book. I think I got it for around $6-8.00 on a dicount table at a book store like Barnes/ Noble or such. Good luck.

32FordWoody likes this.