Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Autorama Houston 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Nov 24, 2012.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've been going to the Houston Autorama for 38 years. The few times I missed it, I was away from home in the Navy. In Houston it's a Thanksgiving tradition for car guys. I used to go as a dreamer. Even when I had a car, I never entered for various reasons. The main one being that my T Bucket is my daily and I couldn't leave it locked up for the duration of the show.

This year, an outdoor exhibit was added for Fri. and Sat. during the day. The times were 9-4pm and afterwards you just drive home. The fee was $50 each day, which seems high, but the goody package made up for the cost. Two tickets for the inside show, a t-shirt and a plaque. A SMALL plaque.

So, this year, I had a 38 year old dream come true. I entered my hotrod in the autorama. The number of outside cars was great. We were lined up on the street right in front of the George R. Brown Convention Center. I made a few friends and folks seemed to like my T. Maybe because it was the only one.:D

So, here's some pics that I thought were HAMB friendly. There were more, but I spent the better part of the day outside. I may get more tomorrow. Anyway..... here's what caught my eye. Enjoy!

Here's my T FINALLY being shown at the Autorama. My dad would have been proud.

[​IMG]

This trunk lid belongs to a Chevy shoebox owned by my friend Jerry, President of the "H-Bombs". He just got his ride repainted and these stripes kick major ass!

[​IMG]

The "H-Bombs".

[​IMG]

Now..... random rides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

About the swapmeet. There were a FEW items that caught my eye, but for the most part, pickings were slim. Or perhaps, my eye isn't keen enough. But in my opinion, it was basicly a toy store and crafts exhibit. I spotted a VERY used six Stromberg setup & manifold for a SBC and the guy wanted $1,850. I thoought that was kinda high considering the condition. But again, maybe my taste and knowledge are a factor.

The food prices were CRAZY!!! A small tray of nachos and a gatorade were..... wait for it....... $9! Jebus Christo! Note to self..... pack a lunch.

The number of cars inside was impressive. This was probably the biggest number of cars I've seen here in a few years. Rumor had it that this was the last year at the GRB convention center. Next year may be at Reliant Stadium Hall. Which would be cool because I live 7 miles from it.

My drive into downtown was a humbling experience, as the temp was about 50*. I weathered it and had my T pegged the whole way. That's about a 15 mile ride. Wind chill about 40*. It took an hour for my nuts to thaw!:eek: I was shaking so bad that when I registered, the guy thought I was a crackhead, due to my shaky hand writing.:D

3. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Congrats on being able to show your T. I bet the ride was worth it.
    Thanks for posting up some pics!

4. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Congrats man, that show is a blast. Wish I could have been there this year, the man's got me working though.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. butch27

butch27

Way to go Fred. A dream come true.The old gang would have been proud--Rick, Thomas- ME etc.

6. Anyone get pics of the Winfield display ?

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. Great pics and story,
    Thanks for posting them up!

9. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for some nice coverage, and congrats! on gettin the T to the show. I see a bunch of super cars, love Jerry's 53 Chevy coupe, that striping is off the hook. Thanx for sharin bro. The white 55's Chevy picup with red accents near the Summitt banner is sweet. ~sololobo~

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, thanks!

11. aldixie

aldixie

Well done Fred. Looks like I'll be going up there today.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  12. flathead okie

flathead okie

13. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Congrats sir, I wasnt able to make it this year because my band had shows booked but it looks like another great turn out & I like the new outdoor display. I hope to have my Chevy entered next year when she is finished!

14. loco 52 ragtop

loco 52 ragtop

i have no pics but we work with him friday and saturday choping a 51 chevy hardtop.

15. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

This was the first time in many years that I wasn't set up as a vendor. I went out as a spectator for the first time since 1994. Someone did a great job on the Winfield backdrop where they were doing a live top chop demonstration.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

17. junkyardjools

junkyardjools
    from Detroit

18. junkyardjools

junkyardjools
    from Detroit

Can you get me some pictures of the backdrop? I only have one while I was painting it in the shop up here in Michigan, thanks!

If you want, you can see them in my album , I just posted them up here.

19. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

That is normally my escape from the inlaws. $50 does not sound that bad if it keeps you from paying for parking (outrageous) and you get to take a cooler and have your own frosty adult beverage and snacks.

Did Thanksgiving last weekend with them instead.

Fred, maybe next year I will see your hotrod in person.

20. loco 52 ragtop

loco 52 ragtop

21. loco 52 ragtop

loco 52 ragtop

22. loco 52 ragtop

loco 52 ragtop

23. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I wasn't able to go even though I had planned on it. Ah life. How did the chop go?

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I forgot to tell about the parking. It was $20-25 anywhere near the convention center. I didn't know that until I was driving to the show. When it got to $10, some years back, I'd take the rail and walk the 4 or 5 blocks. Of course this limits what you can carry, if you make a score at the swapmeet. So, that definately made it worth while to be in the outdoor show.

I never go downtown for a concert or ball game or anything else for that matter. The parking is expensive and unorganized. A lot of times, the people collecting money don't look like they work for the parking lot. Where do they get these bums? A couple weeks ago, there was a concert, a basketball game and some other crap, all at the same time. There were people who missed half the concert stuck in traffic. The same thing leaving. Houston is a fun city to live in, but sometimes the planning is piss poor backwoods thinking. All the city wants is money, they don't account for inconvienance.

Since I didn't go today, I'm going to take the leftover ticket, plaque and a pic of my car and make a small shadow box. It'll be a cool way for me to remember my first showing at the autorama.

25. skyrodder

skyrodder

Gene

Attached Files:

26. I had a good time Sunday. I found a free spot to park and got in free because I was voluenteering at a display booth. Seeing Gene Winfield and Omar(Skyrodder) chopping the Chevey was cool. Most all the cars worth seeing(in my opinion) I've already seen at other shows and/or belong to friends. I wouldn't go if I had to pay to get in and not be able to bring my own beer. Too much $$$/not enough traditional hot rods.

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Fred, one of the best cold weather rides in Houston in a roadster is a speedy run around the 610 loop, then exiting at North Main and running straight through downtown. A real fun jaunt also includes a banzai pass from the west loop onto 59N and through the "valley" then up onto the overhead by GRB.
    These trips are most fun at 2 AM in 30 degree weather.

28. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I like the fact that you posted a picture of one of the cars that I painted. One of the other ones I helped on and both won awards.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's been a while, but I've done the loop 610 and 59 into downtown. I still have an image of a Vette driver and passanger I blew by. It was 6am on a Sunday. GREAT fun! But NOT at 45* or less. Windchill puts that at about 35*.