Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just Can't Gut Tractor Grilles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ha Ha Ha!!!

I just spit my coffee out all over the place!

2. mj40's

mj40's

I don't think this is a tractor grill but this one grew on me.

[​IMG]

3. Think you may have something here, my good friend ICK has already penned one...

[​IMG]

4. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

WTF.....what about all the PIST off farmers.
    B.B.

5. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

one of my fabricator buddies has an old Allison tractor with a 440 & 727 Torqueflight tranny, & zoomies

he really hauls butt when he plows his driveway

6. Flop

Flop

hmmm looks familiar

[​IMG]

7. Gromit

Gromit

Looking at some of these pictures and elsewhere, I think I figured it. If you are going to modify the grille to suit the body, or the body to the grille, you may be on to something. The RPU with a great lumpyJohn Deer grille the size of a buick on the front will always suck. But if the hood lines and such are tied in and it's not out of scale or context... maybe. Otherwise let Farmer J keep it.

8. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

I have seen a few that have worked, but most look like crap.

9. James Curl

James Curl

In the 50s there were still junk yards out in the country that had all types of 20s cars and some of them had very nice grills that were adapted to hot rods. Look at the grill on Art Chrisman's old dry lakes car turned dragster.

10. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

That looks good!

11. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I think Rory Forbes model a coupe looks great with a tractor grille. I do agree most look like shit though.

[​IMG]

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

True story!
    I once gave a Worthington grill shell to a friend who was working on a '32 picup; it looked pretty damn good, and, oddly, all the bolt holes were PERFECTLY PLACED and the filler opening fit!
    He took off the Worthington plate... :)

13. Not my cup of tea. IMO if it looks good with a tractor grill it would look even better without one.

14. There are many tractor grilles that are stunningly beautiful, and look every bit as good, if not better than a deuce grille. Some of the old orchard machines of the 40s-50s have beautiful lines, and I think there are some cases where a CORRECTLY CHOSEN AND UTILIZED tractor grille could improve the look. Most of the grilles I'm talking about though wouldn't be recognized as tractor grilles by the majority of folks. Look at the lines of the Oliver Orchards, the Minneapolis Moline U Deluxes, and Model R's. Anyone who can't appreciate the styling of some of those machines needs to have their eyes checked. I would say using one for a traditional rod is obviously out of the question, but, if you are interested in making a car pretty; certainly nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from some of the more handsome machines. Hell, just take a look at ANYTHING from that era, even the most mundane tool was beautiful.

Just look at the history, Raymond Loewy was a designer for Farmall before going to work at Studebaker. Good designs are good designs, doesn't matter if they're on a coke machine, a deuce grille, or a gas pump.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  15. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Couldn't agree more. That's why I love the HAMB. You guys know enough shit to sway opinions... Now I'm off to Google tractor grilles.

16. Looks like the top of the grill shell is higher than the cowl.

17. Wurlitzer made beautiful jukeboxes. Would one look good bolted to the front of a car?

18. Tractor grilles are for "Tractors"

Tractors are for "Farmers"

Farmers are for "Barn Jobs"

So if your Hot Rod is a "Barn Job", go pull the grille off your "Tractor" you freakin' "Farmer"!

And this is NOT directed towards the fine people that put the food on my plate. This IS directed towards ALL the freakin' Barn Jobbers that are building those Ratshit Rat Rods.

19. You bet your ass it would. But only if it had real records in it and it was a nickle a play. :D

Maaan I never got me no barn job before. But while on the subject of food I was going to get a jello job once, is that anything like a barn job?

20. I think that is actually a cut down truck grill but I don't recall what year it would have been, like later '30s?

21. Gromit

Gromit

Okay... just for edification...

Attached Files:

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm still looking for a Pines Winterfront for my '32 Massey Harris...I know, I know, try the classifieds...:rolleyes:

23. Ha Ha!

That's an interesting story you're gonna have to tell someday Beaner! :D

Funny thing is that the birthplace of Jello is just up the road from me in LeRoy, NY.

Ha Ha!

Figures you'd find a bike named Barn Job! :cool:

24. Model T1

Model T1

This is all some funny stuff. As mentioned, anything is possible if it matches the body lines. I'm checking the local farm adds for a nice tractor grille for my 55 Chevy.
    I know where I can get a nice D-9 grille that's already yellow for the 41 Ford.

But about those pist off farmers......... Good that they are pist. Just gettin even for all those Model A's and Model T's they turned into tractors !:D
    Happy plowin.

25. Ha Ha!!!

Even I gotta admit..... He's right!

26. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

27. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

So by your logic all cars should be stock...completely. After all 40 Ford wheels belong on a 40 Ford. Mercury flatheads belong in Mercurys. 32 Ford frames belong only under 32s and I guess we can't use 39 Ford taillights anymore except for on 39 Fords.

Yeah screw those aircraft gages and bomber seats too since they belong in airplanes right? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  28. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Some of the old Wurlitzers were as big as the cars. Case in point is this Wurlitzer 850 I just finished for a customer. :D

Attached Files:

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Keep an open mind, folks. How come no one slams people for installing kitchen cabinet knobs on their grilles?

If it can be made to look good, I don't understand what the problem is.

In before the closure. :)

30. New rule.

Anyone who slams some one's ride has to post 3 pictures of their own car from different angles. Also you can't get mad if it's picked apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.