Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Hand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks for sharing. really great stuff; i work in the manufacturing industry here in the good ol' US of A and it's a trying business but the folks that i work with have a skill that most younger generations refuse to learn. We are under constant pressure from overseas markets (i recieve emails from chinese companies on a daily basis) and it's tough to keep our heads above water but we manage to do it. We are a proud group of people who work here, proud of what we make and the fact that it's made here...in American hands. Thanks for sharing Ryan....

3. striper

striper

I just want to work on cars in a space like that. That would be so nice.

Pete

4. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Amen to that! Can anybody relate this, to a hot rod in pieces and firing it up for the first drive after months or years in a pile of parts? It takes a real effort and a person with a can do attitude to see anything through to the end. America is in trouble, but hey, we were born in trouble, don't give up without a fight! The best teacher for the next generation is to teach by example, now get the hell to work, and hope someone notices the skill and effort!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I was thinking the same thing!!! What a great space!

Love videos like this. It's really nice to see people who are good at what they do and do it under there own set of boundaries and limitations...or lack there of.

6. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Fantastic. The video reminds me a lot of my Dad. He is able to do everything from fixing cars, to farming, to making violins.

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

wonderful video

8. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

NIce video! Thanks for posting Ryan. By the way just started reading through my new Jalopy Journal book last night. Very well done!! I love videos like this that show craftsmanship. Lost talent seems like.

9. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

"Learn to do it yourself. Don't rely on others to fix things"

"We chose to focus on Quality over Quantity"

"If you die tomorrow, are you proud of what you did today?"

So many RIGHT ON quotes in there...

10. Another great video Ryan, where do you keep finding them ?
    I have the same interest in people who are really good at what they do, it seems they have a very 'zen' like and down to earth mindset in common
    Thanks for sharing, keep 'm coming !

11. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Its great to see this video coming out of Boston! When I first hit play and heard "red line last stop Alewife" I was like Hey I know that!

Fort Point was, for the longest time, a little forgotten chunk of the city, between the historic downtown waterfront and Ben Affleck's "Southie". Most all of the buildings are those old brick warehouses and alot were used as artists lofts.
    Now that the city is growing it has put a squeeze on that area. Many of the buildings have become "High Rent Studio for the New Professionals" basically charging recent college grads 4 grand a month to live there...I dont get it...
    Hopefully places like his dont get "the squeeze" and can remain there and be profitable in the city.

12. jlwalley22

jlwalley22
    from Boston, MA

Hi Everyone! I am glad you all have been enjoying my film, the support is appreciated! I am actually looking to do a section of the Documentary as a continuation of the American Hand series on people who work on and restore hot rods and old muscle cars, if anyone on the forum is interested, shoot me a message!!

13. Excellent video. It is always refreshing to see journeymen at work. I like the way the video was shot.

Jeff

14. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Great video. Thanks!

15. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Great video. Ashokan Farewell gets me every time I hear it, especially in this context. Thanks.

Kevin

16. BillyG

BillyG

So I'm watching with fasination this fellow craft the pieces to repair this bass. Then he blows me away with his playing!

17. seatex

seatex

Awesomeness of American "Can Do" attitude, and skill to back it up. Great context in the Video, Walley, hope you do a piece on rodding, there are SO MANY talented craftsmen here on the HAMB, there would be no shortage of subject matter.Thanks to whoever sent Ryan the video!

18. catdad49

catdad49

KOOL, it does my heart good to see anyone, especially a young person, set their mind and body to accomplish something which is taken for granted by many. Bravo to the American Hand series! Cat

19. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Ryan. Love this.

I've been playing bass for almost 40 years. I own a couple nice old instruments now, have owned numerous others in the past, and dabble (sensibly) at simple crack and seam repair work. This is a terrific video, it shows a young man who, in my experience, is pretty typical of those who dedicate themselves to the restoration and maintenance of fine old instruments. It's a calling, an obsession, a whole life. We treasure our surviving old cars, some of which date back to the 1920's. Consider that there are still basses around that date back to the 1600's...

He mentions having worked for Arnold Schnitzer. Mr. Schnitzer is an articulate, witty world class luthier and repairman, based in New York state. He used to be a regular on TalkBass.com (may still be), a site I used to frequent. My computer wallpaper is a breathtaking bass built by Mr. Schnitzer. Check out his work here: http://www.aesbass.com/

20. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

Great choice on the video! Actually every video in this series, that you have picked, has been great. From the mirror maker and the sign painters, right up to this one. Keep 'em coming!

21. plhildy

plhildy
    from Clovis, Ca

An excelent video and very encouraging. Along those same lines I would like to suggest a book (we still read don't we?) "Shop Class as Soul Craft" is a very good argument for working with one's hands.

22. great vid! As I have been watching my step-daughter and her friends graduate high school and prepare for college I have been thinking a lot about the future of DIYers such as this gentleman. I worry that we are heading for a new "dark age" as far as skilled labor. It used to be that the kids like my daughter took the college route and the kids like me went to shop class or vocational school. I don't think they even have "shop" class @ the high school and the non-college kids act like learning a skill is below them! When 18 year old boys don't know how to check their own oil, we are in serious trouble! Just my $.02 .

23. the link doesn't work for me.

24. me either!

25. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Same here.

26. I figured out that it is only the link in this thread. If you go to the front page. and go threw there it works. Good video, worth the watch.

27. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

X2, Words to live by!
    Great Video, look forward to more.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Gee's, to much work. What's next? a decoder ring, only to find out we need to drink more ovaltine ;).

29. what front page?

30. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Go to JalopyJournal.com