Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Meander Drags in Youngstown Ohio-Youngstown Drag City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vonshears, May 19, 2009.

1. I'm looking for anyone who might have any photos from an ancient Drag Strip near meander reservoir in Ohio. It's near Youngstown Ohio. I spent many a night out there as a kid and don't have any pictures to prove it. I was too busy watching the locals run what they brung. It was part landing strip also. Sometimes the races would be put on hold for a moment while a farmer landed a small airplane. The track as I remember it was out in the middle of nowhere . It's a distant memory that seems more like a dream. Does anyone remember this track?? Please help. Any info about this track would make an old man happy.
    Thanks
    VonShears

2. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I don't think it's too ancient. It's still on many online dragstrip directories...
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=600 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD>Youngstown </TD><TD>Youngstown Ohio's Drag City </TD><TD>216-538-3291</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. Quaker Drag Strip has since adopted the name "youngstown drag city"
    http://www.quakercityraceway.com/

Not the same place at all. Quaker is only about 30 minutes from the old Meander Drag Strip.

Maybe it was just a dream.

4. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

hell ya,,, good place, a shame it,s gone...... no pics but I remember it real well. lots of fun had there....

5. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I don't know if it's still open,it was about 12 years ago. My Ex wife lived on the next street north of there.

6. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I'd say that's an old number the area code has been 330 for a long time.

7. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I can try and round you up some pics.

I spoke to Alex(One of the brothers than bought the track in 1964)about 2 months ago, asking permission to letter my old truck.

He is doing well, and still owns Sunset Dragstrip in Western PA. He is celebrating his 50th year in racing.

I remember going to Meander when I was a kid, and going with my wife in the early 90's before it was closed.

It was called..Youngstown Drag City, Ohio's Drag City, Youngstown Ohios Drag City and lastly Meander.
    I verified this with Alex just 2 months ago.

They also started the Tri-State Hot Rod Assoc.(THRA) and the Professional Dragracers Assoc.(PDA)

The track couldnt get NHRA sanction because of a short runoff, so they went their own way.
    It was widely known as a Run what ya brung rebel track.

I have a email from Alex saying all of this, and I have copies of original passes, press info, letterheads. I wanted the lettering on my truck to be just as it was when they did it in 64-65.

And I gotta say, it was very cool to talk to someone who was there and done it. And he's still going strong after 50 years in the game. And having his blessing makes it even better for me.

Heres my truck. Its still not done, but close.

Attached Files:

Tammy Snyder likes this.
  8. I love your truck!!! I had the same Idea a while back but never had it done. Looks like you beat me to the punch and I love it!!!!
    I have an all white 1965 C-10 Just needs some red sign-age and it could be one of the fleet.
    That warms my heart. I loved that old drag strip. I haven't lived in Ohio for over 20 years. I miss it sometimes.
    Ray

9. I grew up in Y-Town and hit that and many other similar key spots, but sorry no pics either.
    Watching The Office a week ago, they mentioned "Youngstown, OH" a half dozen times as Jim & Pam were going there to be married. I always get such a big kick when anything like that happens to my 'ol hometown.
    Thanks for another good Youngstown reference.

10. RocketOval

RocketOval
    from Texas

Does anyone know of or have pictures of the Flower Power Chevelle that used to run around Youngstown in Late 1960's?

Thanks,

Nick

11. tarzanoffla

tarzanoffla
    from Florida

For some pics of Drag City go to facebook and do a search of Youngstown Ohios Drag City. I raced there in the late 80's and early 90's.

12. EDGEFIND

EDGEFIND

I spent many evenings out there as a kid as did my dad. We lived back through the woods. Here's one for you from the Ellsworth Historical Society. I'll check and see if I can find any more.:
    [​IMG]

13. EDGEFIND

EDGEFIND

14. Ramblur

Ramblur

I spent a lot more time at Quaker City but plenty of nights at Meander
    too. Strangely enough I don't think I have one picture from there,but I lost
    a bunch of pics in a garage fire in the early 80's. My memories may be a little
    foggy after 30 years. Seems to me the return road was a real off-road
    adventure and dark too. Maybe a 60's Chevy van up on blocks where you
    picked up your time slips? A few buds and I threw enough parts together
    to flat tow a gutted 65 Chevelle with a small block and 5.57 gears there
    for a few years but Quaker City was like a country club compared to
    Meander...Still it was some great fun.

15. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

I was just out at Meander and Howland today taking pictures. I cannot believe how narrow Howland actually is.

Here's what Meander looks like today. The last pic is Howland.

Attached Files:

16. mac502

mac502

My son checks oil wells in that area and I was with him yesteday. he has a well right near there. What a flash back. Buildings are gone....just a little tent. I guess model air plane guys use it now. What a waste of good asphalt. Many GREAT times there.

17. mac502

mac502

Just was looking I see George died in 09 and Alex just died in Oct 2011 at 81 yrs old. Feels a little hollow. GOOD TIMES and great memories...thanks guys!!!!

18. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I forgot about this thread.
    Alex did pass a couple months ago. Sucks. Very nice guy and a wealth of cool knowledge and memories.
    I got to meet him after my truck was finished but sadly lost the memory card the pics were on:(

Godspeed Alex

RIP

19. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

I am to young to have gotten to see this place but I have had heard stories about a drag strip by where I was living and my good friends dad confirmed the stories so I had to go see the place.... I wish it would be reopened... I spent. A lot of time at Quaker city and I hope that place stays open

20. mac502

mac502

Does anyone remember what I think was a Ford Pinto named Sluggo? Who was that. That guy had a blast. Must have had to replace tires every week from major burnouts...and he could cut a darn good light too.

21. aametalmaster

aametalmaster
    from Salem Ohio

I remember Sluggo well. His times were so consistent he could beat almost anyone. The bikes at Meander were cool. They were always at Meander then started migrating to Quaker City. Bob in Salem

22. Here is my friend Joe Artale running at Howland Dragway in E/G back in 1960, after that we all went to Dragway 42. IMG_1437.JPG IMG_1438.JPG

quick85 likes this.
  23. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Not sure if this is the one you are looking for but it is in Youngstown, Ohio
    Jimbo

Ohio's Drag City.jpg

24. Tammy Snyder

Tammy Snyder

My brother use to race there in the earlier '80s.
    Had a gto named Strip Show .
    Had many a great weekends there.
    Was heartbroken to see it had closed up .
    Great memories there .

25. elba

elba

I was there in about 65 or 66 I think . Any how it was an event I will always remember . My buddy and I went to the strip to see a match race between Dandy Dick Landy in his altered wheel base Dodge and believe it or not I cannot remember who he was racing . ( my forgetter is working full bore ) Yes the famous one that is in many pics . We got early and we were talking to Dick's helper and he ask me what we kind of car we drove . I said my Father's 63 Chevy Station Wagon . He asked if they could use it to tow back the Dodge after it went down the track . SURE CAN !! So after each run we went down and towed it back . NEAT !

I think that car sold for BIG BUCKS a few years ago .

26. Quite a few years ago, a friend and I drove from Connecticut to Ohio to go to the Randolph Swap meet. We went to Quaker City Drag Strip, and Meander Drag Strip on the same trip. we liked Quaker City, but Meander was the real deal. Although it was primitive compared to Quake City, we enjoyed being there much more.