Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seanbelushi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

No major progress in the last few days. Been waiting on some parts to come in, so figured I'd repair some more rust.

Here's the driver side rear floor, under seat.
    [​IMG]

Cut out the old
    [​IMG]

In progress
    [​IMG]

Finished and seam sealed, now got to do the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

Patched the lower front of the driver side fender. Had to bolt on the grille, etc to make sure everything lined up OK.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and got the under deck lid panels in, so got them mocked in place. Almost ready to finish the back of the car. Thanks for the tip MotoAndy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Moedog07

Moedog07

Growing up we would use them for a landmarks.

Son - "Did ya see that big tree fell?"
    Dad - "No, where?"
    Son - "Over there by John's Chevy."
    Dad - "Hope it didn't hit the tractor...."

Cool project Sean.

3. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Sneak peek of things to come! ImageUploadedByTJJ1360359326.084727.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Attached Files:

4. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Double post

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Yeah, I know it doesn't make sense to paint the dash yet, but I need a few shiny things to keep me motivated. Helps to break the monotony of replacing rust every time I work on the car.

The paint is 1952 Chevy Saddle Brown Metallic. I think it goes well with the cream.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome color!

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Not much progress lately...got the passenger side rear sill done and seam sealed. ImageUploadedByTJJ1360807681.122377.jpg

Also got the stock trans crossmember out, hoping to get a new trans mount fabbed up soon.

9. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Did manage to set the engine/trans in place so I could fab the trans mount. Feels good to see an engine in there, even if its only temporary. ImageUploadedByTJJ1360889790.305118.jpg

10. fury9

fury9

looks good! You are helping to motorvate me!

11. Nice work. The dash looks great.

What did you use to replace the gauge faces?

12. teddyp

teddyp

Great job always had a soft spot for 49-52 chevy like the colors

13. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

I found a guy on the auction site making replacement overlays...I think they were around $20.

Sean

14. I found them, thanks. I might need to get a set of those:)

15. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Not a lot of progress lately, been too busy at the hospital. Did manage to get the passenger side front floorboard and transmission tunnel done, so it finally has a full floor again for the 1st time in 30+ years. Also got the transmission mount fabricated.
    [​IMG]

I went to 3 different junkyards last weekend looking for a Jaguar front end...none to be found. Finally broke down and went to the place where they had like 8 of them, and they crushed every one the day before. Just my luck. So I'm back on the hunt for front suspension.

16. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

awesome!!!!!! this is inspiration to not be lazy and get my ass to the garage. ive been avoiding my floors for about a year. I need to replace alot of metal on them

17. Chevy49

Chevy49
    from Elgin, IL

18. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Wow, what a difference since you got it!!! Keep up the awesome work!!!

19. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Big progress this past couple days. Finally got a hold of a Jag front end, so yesterday I started mocking it into place. [​IMG]

It is going to take a bit of finesse, but hopefully I can get it mounted by myself on Monday. It's basically at the right wheelbase, and now I've got to get the side-side right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also was able to get a brake booster from an older S-10 and it looks like it'll work OK. A few tweaks and we shall have brakes!
    [​IMG]

For those that have mounted the Jag front ends, I see that some are welding a 2x4" into the crossmember and then bolting it solid. I'd rather weld the front end solid. Any pics of how you guys have done this?
    Thanks,
    Sean

20. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I'm curious...would the 5.3 work with the stock front end?

Looks like the same old problem exists with the left manifold dump clearing the steering box arm on a left turn.

21. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

It does...all the pics to this point with the engine installed are with the stock front end. And yep, I'm looking for a driver side manifold. Thinking either the Corvette LS1 or GTO LS1 manifold will work for me.

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck on the front end, looking forward to this.

23. aldixie

aldixie

Nice work so far. You will like the Jag front end. I am about to take mine apart again next week as I just bought a Chevy 383 to replace the 305 I have in it at the moment. First time around I rushed everything. This time I am going to paint the Jag member.

24. 4444Design

4444Design

cool project

subscribed

25. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Got a lot more done today. Finished up the mounting of the Jag front end. Decided to weld it solid, rather than bolting. But, it does have a few bolts in there, just in case :)
    [​IMG]

Also got the engine mounted again. I feel like there's real progress now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Still need to make the upper shock mounts, but not really sweating those.
    [​IMG]

Next stop...rear axle or get the engine running? What do you guys think? I know the axle is the smarter decision, but I do need a little motivation occasionally. Thinking getting the engine running may just do the trick.

26. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

Oh, and no those are NOT the wheels I'm going to be running. Just some junkers to move it around the garage

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Engine. I want to see how you wire that thing up. :)

28. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

So it's been a little while since I updated this thread. Been busy with life, and attempting to collect parts in the process.

OK, on to pictures...

Since the XJ6 hubs were slightly too large to bolt on the steel wheels I had, I had my buddy Eddie Wilbanks turn them down on the lathe. Took about 15 minutes total, and now I can run any wheel I want!
    [​IMG]

I finally got the remainder of the bodywork for the rear of the car. Been looking forward to replacing the LAST of the rusted metal in the car!! Got the trunk floor, rear pan, and both quarters. Still have some bodywork to do, but it feels good to almost be done with this crap.

Here you can see the rusty bits at the back of the car.
    [​IMG]

Got the new section sitting in place, ready to weld.
    [​IMG]

The new tail pain being tacked into place
    [​IMG]

Finally, the rear quarter.
    [​IMG]

Next stop is rear axle. I need to get rear so the computer can get reprogrammed. Then it's full speed ahead on getting this thing running. I'm gonna need to hear some noise soon...

29. Styleliner

Styleliner

Man... That's exactly the shape my 49 style liner was in... The field you found it in looks about the same too... Unfortunately I could not afford to give mine the attention it needed.. I admire your perseverence and skill. Wow! We're the four doors salvageable? I was able to save my fronts only.

30. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

I've replaced all but one of the doors, and I'm still looking for the driver side rear door. It's probably salvageable, but would take a ton of work. Actually, I've replaced 3 doors, both front fenders, the trunk floor, entire interior floor, both inner/outer rockers, and both rear quarters. Not too much left of the original body now that I think about it! Looking back on all this, I'm not sure if I would do it again. It's been so much more work than I was anticipating, but since I'm this far into the car I guess it needs to be finished.