View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
diegochero
Grenade Inspector

Talking Re: Have you ever wondered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr48chev View Post
The Roadster has actually been on here before but I don't remember the thread.

I'd always been told that suicide doors were called that because you could get hung up in them if you went to jump out of a car pending an accident. In the early 80's when I did them on my truck some old timer told me that they were dangerous because I wouldn't be able to jump out of the truck if it was going to crash.

I always figured the K thing came from George and left it at that.

My dad's not around to explain the tail dragger or flipper things but I think there is a photo in his stuff at my sisters of Lyle Browning's late 30 something with flippers on it in the 30's.
The were called "Indian blankets" around here before I ever heard of "Mexican" blankets. Dad always kept a Pendelton car robe "blanket" in his car that I believe my sister still has in her car. He didn't have it on the seat though. My 51 Merc came with a worn out Indian or Mexican blanket in 1963 when I was 16.
My Gramps always said the same thing about the suicide doors. I think the difference between an Indian blanket and a Mexican blanket is one would be more southwester looking, and the other is more of a colorful sarape. I am curious I have never heard the term Pendelton car robe, is that like a Mexican Blanket on the seat of a car parked at Camp Pendelton California?
offline   Reply With Quote