Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. None the less it looks like a really good and safe way to compress coil springs and it wouldn't be that hard to copy.

Jaysin

2. I have the same one, that is RED not green.. :) Works like a champ.. :) I think mine is a MAC or SNAP ON.. I have not paid attention lately :) As most of my tools are Mac Snap on, Matco etc. :)

3. I like the clean look of your sander. How is tracking adjusted? I see the top wheel is on a telescoping mount. How is the tension/ release function accomplished? Is there a compression spring inside the two tubes on that mount? Apparently there is an ell shaped slot that allows the belt to get past the platen, is that right? What about the bearing in the top wheel?

4. I like the clean look of your sander. How is tracking adjusted? I see the top wheel is on a telescoping mount. How is the tension/ release function accomplished? Is there a compression spring inside the two tubes on that mount? Apparently there is an ell shaped slot that allows the belt to get past the platen, is that right? What about the bearing in the top wheel?

5. I am interested in how well it rotates with some serious weight on the hook. I built a similar crane in my shop. Mine features a rotating post that rides on a 12" Timpkin bearing and steadied at the top with a large self aligning roller bearing. I fitted a sprocket close to the bottom with the chain going to a 16 to 1 gear reduction. Without the drive system I can't feature how it could be rotated by just tugging on the load which is swinging. Do you see what I mean? I also made a cable system to control the movement of the trolley, from a crank at the post.

6. fbama73

fbama73

OK, I love making my own tools. Here's a few things my good friend and I have built together.

English wheel. I really shloud take another picture, since I've painted it since this one was taken

[​IMG]

Power hammer made from an old industrial box stitcher. The beater bag in on the anvil in the picture, but we've made different hammers/anvils for it. My favorite is the shrinking dies!

[​IMG]

Powered bead roller. Just a HF roller, with a frame built, and a 3/4hp DC motor with variable speed added. It doesn't stall, and it goes VERY slowly if you need it to.

[​IMG]

I don't like any of the carts for an oxy-acetylene rig that are commercially available. This cart can be safely moved around by my 9 year old daughter. I built it for the next size larger tanks, but this set of tanks came at a nice price. I'l get the bigger ones later, when I find a good deal on some.

[​IMG]

Maybe something I've done can give others some ideas.

bct likes this.
  7. convx4

convx4

I have a two post car lift and like to make good use of it. I hate to have to crawl around on the ground to remove a transmission. Well I am a cheep guy and it bothered me that my cherry picker was only good at pulling engines. It has a nice wide base and a long hyd. cylinder. So, I got a HF transmission adapter for a floor jack and modified the end of the cherry picker. I used a hole saw and drilled and taped a hole. Simple, sturdy and cheep!

Attached Files:

j-jock likes this.
  8. bjinatj

bjinatj

Thanks Richard D! There is a great press on those links...

9. I like this one. With U.S.A. made vises gettig hard to find (and expensive as Hell), I may try to make one. I also like how the jaws are offset to one side so you can clamp tall pieces; I ahways have a hard time with that in my vise.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=41441&highlight=vise

There's more pictures and a description(in metric; 12mm is about 1/2") in the link above.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
    slack likes this.
  10. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Well,,, It's not all that fancy but when you get a little P.O'ed under your ride you can come up with something funky that works ,,,,, And works well I might add.

Attached Files:

j-jock and 13lav like this.
  11. bjinatj

bjinatj

It doesn't have to be fancy to function, that is just a perk. It looks like it works well.

12. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

The vise build is amazing.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It is a nice vice, Pretty well made. The USA made vices were not and are not the best out there, never were.

The best were the old English made Record vices, also hard to find and expensive too.

I was lucky to find an old Record 6" vice with the squeeze slide quick adjustment lever.

Restored it and it is amazing.

14. Agreed. I had a chance to get one for under $100 from Craigslist, but missed out.

15. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

ats a little grude, and I would not want the cops to stop me with it in the car. but it screws into the spark plug hole, attach air hose and your changing the valve springs and seals with the head on.
    [​IMG]

bct likes this.
  16. Where did you find a fitting that fit the spark plug hole? I know I couldn't find one to fit a flathead spark plug hole, at least not a bolt.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen a couple with a gutted out sparkplug. That would probably be the simple way to go. Knock the innards out and weld or braze a proper size black pipe nipple in it and you are set.

18. Cymro

Cymro

I made something very similar years ago, it's simply a spark plug with the porcelain insulator knocked out, brazed to a suitable airline fitting.

19. I had one, very cool. I think the proper name is a Fitter's Vice.
    They are big bucks if you want to buy a new one.

20. rodknocker

rodknocker

I was always too afraid of dropping a valve while using that setup, I pussed out and would fill the cylinder with rope and bring it up, just to be sure.

21. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

who the hell builds their own vise??? ya know i think that if everyone one on this here h.a.m.b got together, i'm sure they could change the world.

22. rodknocker

rodknocker

People who are sick and tired of American jobs going over seas, so in return they can put chinese shit on the shelves to pass off as a quality tool.

23. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

ya know rodknocker i hope you didn't think i was trying to imply that making your own vise was something of no importance. in fact i was simply magnifying the idea... what kind of person builds their own vise?? well obviously a very ingenious one.
    i think that when american people have had enough fleecing of our country.. we'll all stand up and do something about it, just as our forfathers did!

i bleed red.. white and blue.

24. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I didn't build my vice, but I built the stand for it.:D Pretty simple. I cut a 12"x12" hole in the floor and concreted a 12" piece of 4"x4"x1/4" wall square tube in it. Then I got a 48" piece of 3 1/2"x3 1/2" square tube that slides into the one in the floor. I took a 6" piece of the 4"x4" and welded it to a 1" plate that my vise bolts too. I can remove the vise table, then remove the tube from floor to move cars around if need be. I also made a few extra "tables" that I can attach tools to in the future (bead roller, manual tube bender, etc) This works really well because I have a tiny two car shop and no space to set up benches with everything mounted to them and have a good 8' radius to work with.

25. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Grab that camera and take us some photos,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

26. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I need to, got a few things I'd like to post up here!

27. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

He was probably more concerned of Australian jobs the vise build was from down under

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

You guys have come up with a lot of really cool-tools......