Register now to get rid of these ads!

Milners Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jacplumb, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what is it supposed to be?
    it is a semi significant survivor, changed very little in the last 40 plus years.
    a typical hot rod '32 that just happens to be from the same exact place and time that Mr Lucas was in high school.

I believe that Mr Lucas created the movie car in his head.

this style, chopped, low, loud, bright, was obviously recognised as representing hot rod characteristics long before it was chosen for any movie,

this stlye was chosen because it was universaly recognised as
    representing a hot rod

I think the similarities in style with this car and the movie car are intriguing,
    that is all.

this car does have a Chevy small block in it now
    but was raced with a Pontiac motor then,
    if I remember the story correctly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

the paper back with the story is called scope,,sorry or proud to say,,we were reading it in class, middle school,,,just before high school,,,and i had to have it,,,,i still have the paper back,,and every type of media that sound track came on,,i have an 8 track,a cassette,a few LP.S one or 2 unopened,,and a double c,d ,,also several video copies,,the current dvd release and a video of more AG,, which sucked,,greatest sound track/and car guy,s movie in my opinion,, wish they would make an AG 3....

3. With you 100%. I appreciate it as an icon, but in no way does it all work together. Worse, there are dozens of "Milner Model A's" I've seen that come out even worse. The body on the frame looks way too baby-headed (tall).

Plus, what's up with the stubby grille and estate-sale headlights?

Attached Files:

4. terryr

terryr
    from earth

If you could find the real one, and find its' serial number then its' history could be traced. Probably would lead to some 80 year old dude.

The 32s engine was also filmed as the engine of the California Kid. It had a modern 302, so they surrounded the 32s with black paper for the open hood scene close-up.

Yeah , if you stand back and look at it the 32 is weird looking. But Milner was a drag racer, not a designer, or some old fart who goes for a sunday drive.

I had a yellow 55 for several years, kind of half Milner, half Falfa. No pics on line.

I was an extra on some Ray Bradbury episode in the eighties, and while standing around suddenly Paul LeMat was standing right beside me. I went "heeey Milner" and felt everyones butt pucker up. Apparently no one was supposed to call him that. He was friendly, but quiet. {I spent the night making out with some girl in the background of the scene, and got paid 50 bucks too!!}

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

FYI For you AG fans in NY.Cindy Williams will be at the Bear Mountain Cruise this Wed night. At Bear Mountain State Park about 1 hour out of the city

6. montclaire

montclaire

I agree. I drove a 73 challenger with a 440 and only headers/cutouts/cherrybombs/turnouts for a summer, and every time I put in two lane it all comes back. I think the gear wine does it for me the most, I can still hear those 3.91s slowing down...
    From what I recall, three 55s were built for two lane, by a racer named Richard Ruth, who had a similar 55 that he copied. Two were interchangable hero cars, and one was rigged to flip, which was never used. The two hero cars were faster then their on screen credit; the car was 'in the 12s' in the move, but ran legitimate 10 second passes in the real world. The car used most for driving scenes had it's twin tunnel ram removed in the name of drivability, and a single dummy carb was set up with a bracket to poke through the hood scoop. One stayed original and wound up in canada and has been restored to two lane glory. I think AG got two cars, one of the heros and the flip car. They also bought another chevy for the burn scene, as they had a heck of a time flipping the car. I believe both the flip car and the burn car went to the scrap yard afterward. The hero AG car is still around, but has been 'street rodded' per say, and is nowhere near as filmed.

7. beauishere

beauishere

Just so maybe this thread can end on a positive note.

Your opinion sucks and mine does not.

The Milner Coupe looks great! I like the sectioned grill. It's a high boy for God's sake! It's supposed to sit tall. The headlights are vintage and fine. It's the best movie car of all time.

It is my favorite hot rod.

Amen.

8. Well if I were a betting man, I would have to place my bet that since that Deuce was in the same town at the same time as Mr Lucas HS years, it had to have a major influence on his thinking of what he wanted Milner's coupe to look like. Being raised in the PNW, HS years 54-58, I remember Hot Rods very simiular to these, I even had chopped 34 Vic, full load flathead, zepher gears, etc for awhile while in Seattle area, Daily driver was a 36 3 window with 265 Tri power, 37 LaSalle box painted hot pink. Still have the one of the 34s I drove in HS in OR. Still has the 56 Olds in it, am going to resurrect this fall, oh yes, its chopped 4 1/2 in too.
    I think Paul is right on in his thoughts about this Deuces impact in the creation of AG. Most of it is right on target about the late 50s, early 60s.

9. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

For all the haters:

10. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

thanks for the you tube link,,,,was great after working 12 hours ,,:cool:

11. Jimv

Jimv

As stupid as this sounds why doesn't someone who lives in the area call either George Lucas or the guy who owns the car now?Get all the juicey details!!lol
    Years back when i was building my T there was a book out called"How to build a T-bucket roadster on a budget" By Chester Greenhalgh.Well the book was out of publication, impossible to find and no one knew where Chester was.After about 20 mins of searching i found out he was living in Fla.Got his phone number & called him!! He was very pleasant ,seemed happy to find someone still interested in the book.
    Funny part is that he said he didn't even have a copy of the book!! & that hes designing golf courses in Fla.
    jimv

12. I can picture a big beautiful coffee table book that covers all aspects ot AG. The script, the making of, about the cars, about the actors, lotsa awesome pics, the collectables, the fans etc, etc. A book like this would be a big seller for many years. So obvious, could have been put out 15 years ago and it would still be a big seller. Maybe one day someone will do it but I bet it won't be half the book it could be. I have my fingers crossed.

13. Jimv

Jimv

Its not "star trek dork" Its "trekkie"!! Dork!!lol
    JimV

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Well technically, it's NOT trekkie if you ARE a trekkie... then you are a TREKKER. :D

15. budd

budd

you know i have only seen the movie a couple of times but if you asked me i would of said Milners coupe had a flatty, i guess i wasent looking to close and just saw what i wanted to see, all this time the story of the coupe and the 55 was the story of the sbc taking over the streets form the flathead fords, i like my version the best, even if it is only in my mind.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

For me AG's car's were time period right on as in the movie's time frame I had a nosed and decked 58 black Impala hardtop with a 280 HP 348 and 3 dueces and a column shift 3 speed from the factory. How much closer could you get to Steve's car? The cars like the Milner coupe the 55 chevy and the chopped top Merc were fine but to me AG's cruising scenes and the cars in those scene's is what I can relate to. Cruising and Street Racing is what we did in those days night after night and hung out at Drive In Restaurants, Diners and places similar to the current Dairy Queen that sold soft ice cream. There were no car shows, Goodguys or NSRA events to go to, we cruised at night and went to the drag strips on the weekends. While we worked on our cars in his garage, I still remember my Grandfather saying "you kids are crazy, you spend hundreds of dollars to win a 59 cent drag strip trophy". AG's cruising scenes and the cars at Mels Diner brings me back to that time frame. I just wish I could roll out the 56 on a Friday night and find a place to cruise as in AG with all that early iron without hearing a thumping stereo or Tuners Fart Can. I'll never tire of watching AG.

17. primed55

primed55

Sorry Budd,

your wrong on two accounts the ford had a sbc and the 55 actuly had a bbc... In the script i belive they say it had a 409 but in reality it had a 454.

18. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Well All I know is "If he cant find me than he aint even worth racin... right"

P/S Happy Birthday
    Cindy Williams turns 60 Today!!!!!

19. Tony

Tony

60?!?!... shit we're getting old!

20. I remember the cars in the junkyard scene seemed way too new to be in big mashed up piles, some of them were barely a year old per the setting of the movie. And I couldn't have been more than 10 the first time I saw it, on TV of course since it came out before I was born. By then I was already into old cars in general pretty good, my mom bought me a big pile of old car magazines at an auction - a good sampling of Rod & Customs from '65-'74 and a bunch of Special Interest Autos from V1#1 to around '77.

The problem with an AG III set in today's era is the kid who finds the car in the barn would probably promptly paint it flat black with red wheels, go out and get 12 tattoos and a ducktail haircut and hit the Ol' Skool Rods rockabilly convention with his new Hot Topic duds. Or sell it on eBay so he could build a Honda Civic with a turbocharger and nitrous.

21. I seen Milner this past Sunday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Hooked a little too good.

23. Muttley

Muttley

Those radials, disc brakes and electric fan look awesome.

24. Well, since it was posted here in the past.............samiyams mom graduated with George Lucas.

25. Jimv

Jimv

wheres the post? I couldn't find it!Did Samiyams mother post it? or did she or he call GL? Or did he quote what she quoted ?
    JimV

26. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Oh Boy!!! How much trouble would I start If I said that looks like a chevy rear end???? LOL

27. FWIW, the first "hot rod" model I ever did was a 32 Ford. I'd built plenty of Mustangs and Trans Am's (I was born in '75), but never a hot rod.

I remember a guy down the street from us (about 1989, I was 14) that had a Model A coupe. I didn't know it was a Model A at the time, but I built that 32 Ford Model to look like his. I still remember painting it yellow in our "recycling bin" because it looked like a good paint booth ( :) ) and letting it "bake" in the sun to dry. My grandmother used to watch us at the time, and she watched as I painted and eventually built it. Later on, she told me that it was the favorite model she ever saw me build.

I am sure the guy who built that Model A was inspired by the Milner coupe, and, in turn, he inspired me. I didn't see "Graffiti" until much later ( I was in college), but it made sense to me the minute I saw it.

That's my story.

Jay

PS, Paul- I don't know why, but for some reason I got "butterflies" in my stomach when I saw the picture of the 32 thru the windshield of the roadster... I never understood the "32" thing until that moment... Thanks, I needed that.

28. Dusty56

Dusty56

Over here people think they have clones...and the grill shell isn't sectioned WTF ???

A buddy of mine had a real close clone..after a few years he resprayed it matt green :mad:

29. With out a doubt a Icon, and a great movie, both the coupe and John Milner did it for me, Seeing the movie in high school, I put my 65 GTO up for sale and starting looking for a hot rod. Milner was the coolest guy and most of the guys in shop class wanted to be cool like him and have the fastest ride like him

30. shortyforty

shortyforty
    from NH

Last week I was watching an old episode of "Emergency!" on TV and caught this on Video tape. The guys were called to a repair shop were a young kid had a tire blow up on him. In the background was what looks like the Milner coupe. The show was 1976, season 6 episode 8 "Captain Hook"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012