Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wanted: chopped 49-51 Ford (car) pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by laidoutford, Oct 13, 2004.

1. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to see a chopped coupe!

[/ QUOTE ]

done the right way.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the right way to chop a coupe?

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

just imagine how small the following 1/4 windows would be if they didnt have kanted B pillars

Attached Files:

3. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Attached Files:

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I understand that, that one still looks kinda wrong to me..The first one you posted was right on..Any info on how that one was done or a better pic of it?

5. Heres some pics of my buddys car.Hes like 23 and chopped it 3 or 4 years ago.He built the bikes you see here too.The flathead Harley he built years ago.Very talented young man.....Shiny
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah,its not a ford shoebox,itsa Mercury Meteor,very rare.....Shiny

6. [ QUOTE ]
    The flathead Harley he built years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i dunno but that looks like a shovel head not a flat head

7. Heres his flathead,sorry my mistake.I thought it was in the car pics.....Shiny
    [​IMG]

8. laidoutford

laidoutford

Damn, those are some nice looking chopt koops. I love the quarter windows on the one with the hood leaning up against it. The black primer one parked by the grandstands is my friend Bob's car, which he bought just like that at Pomona swap a while back. I do agree with your opinion on the quarter windows on his car, and they split the roof down the middle. Gosh, I gotta get some pics up of my 50 tudor. I took 6.5" outta the front, and 9" outta the back, and I left the rear glass back, laid it down 11" and stretched the roof 14" to meet the top of the rear window. It was also decrowned 1" with canted B pillars. I'll get it up soon.

Let's see some more, don't let this post die!!!!!
    Shoeboxes forever! [​IMG]

9. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Here ya go....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

[ QUOTE ]
    bought just like that

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

Cool post. I plan on chopping and sectioning my '50 soon. Thanks for the ideas everybody..

LP

11. laidoutford

laidoutford

Thanks for the pics Kristy- Do you have any with the grill in? Those pics look like Cruisin' Grand. How are you and Karl doing? I haven't seen you guys for a little while.

More pics guys... [​IMG]

12. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Yep those are from Grand, I got them off the RuffRodders site.

[​IMG]

And theres the devil himself in this one [​IMG].......

[​IMG]

Karl and I are okay, hopefully we'll be getting the Pontiac on the road again, I'm going to order the cheap-o 6 Volt fuel pump from JCWhitney until we can get a place to work on the car at, (apartments suck!). We're going to be a Bob's get together thingy tommorrow, are you going to go?

You still have Karl's cell number, right? Give him a call, he mentioned just the other day that he hadn't heard from you in awhile.

13. Brickster

Brickster

here's mine. 4" choped sedan. back window was not slid forward, only slanted. Fabbed new sail panels and rear roof section.

Attached Files:

14. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Here's some old pics of my heap: 6" out of the A-Pillars, B's uncanted. This car is going to be rechopped very soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, I must show off my bling:
    [​IMG]

15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is one more.Just about done and ready to have the glass installed. Than I can install the 54 Caddy/merc OD transmission.

Attached Files:

16. 00 MACK

00 MACK

It looks like the a-pllars are leaned back. I happen to dig straight post chopped sedans with almost full length 1/4 windows. Why the rechop?

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Wait a minute I thought they were the same cars. Aside from the a- pillars the roofs are similar or was that the re chop?

18. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Here's a few more:

1. Nice hard top cut:
    [​IMG]
    (This guy is Joe from the SacredKarts who owns this)

Mack, this is the reason I'm recutting mine. I love the look of this cut. Most hate it, I love it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (I dont know if this guy is on the hamb or not, but his name is Flip)

19. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

51leadsled-
    you are not alone that car rules in my opinion...Any ideas on how much it was chopped? It WAS a coupe, right?

20. laidoutford

laidoutford

[ QUOTE ]
    51leadsled-
    you are not alone that car rules in my opinion...Any ideas on how much it was chopped? It WAS a coupe, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Black Widow" chopped Ford now lives here in Temecula, CA. The kid that owns it blew the engine at the last rod run in February (I think), and he hasn't fixed it yet. He only cruised it to a few shows before that. Hopefully he will fix it soon.

It was a coupe, and he says he chopped it 6 and 8, but it looks more hammered than my grey primer one in the pics on this post. Whoever chopped it also split the roof down the center, rather than leaning in all of the a,b,c pillars. Kool car. [​IMG]

21. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

[ QUOTE ]
    Whoever chopped it also split the roof down the center, rather than leaning in all of the a,b,c pillars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I exchanged quite a few emails with the guy that built this particular car. There are at least 2 others out there that are VERY similar. Yes, the one I posted pics of was chopped around 7-8" from the A pillars, but this one was not split down the center and widened. I have a few photos of the chop process that this particular car had done, and it does not look widened at all in them under the black paint. Here is a stack of pics he sent me from the chop process:

[​IMG]

Last spring there was a very similar car that came up on eBay for sale, I swore up and down it was the same car, but after emailing the seller it turned out to be a different one. So I know there are a few different ones like it floating around.

The car started out as a business coupe. The catwalk was cut down closer to a sedan, but the rear quarters still ended up a bit smaller than they would because they were not lengthened I dont think. The rear shot I posted previously makes the ass end of the car look fat and long just from the angle I think it was shot at. Either way, I still like it.

Sorry for hijacking this post further with details about this car, but hey, you got some more photos in my post too!

22. Lloyd

Lloyd

Laidoutford- Is the whiteish-greyish primer shoebox from the Ruff-Rodders site yours? It is the one with the bare metal skirts.

If so, that is a Damn nice chop. I really like it. When your stretched your roof to meet the back window, did you use flat sheet-metal and form the roof curve, or did you cut up another roof off another shoebox?

Also, did you make those skirts?

Do you have any more photos?

Thanks, I am going to be choppin my 50 Tudor soon and I have been planning a chop that is very simuliar to yours.

23. laidoutford

laidoutford

[ QUOTE ]
    Laidoutford- Is the whiteish-greyish primer shoebox from the Ruff-Rodders site yours? It is the one with the bare metal skirts.

If so, that is a Damn nice chop. I really like it. When your stretched your roof to meet the back window, did you use flat sheet-metal and form the roof curve, or did you cut up another roof off another shoebox?

Also, did you make those skirts?

Do you have any more photos?

Thanks, I am going to be choppin my 50 Tudor soon and I have been planning a chop that is very simuliar to yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is my grey primer "50 from ruffrodders.com. My friend Mark owns that website.

It is the second chop that I have done to a shoebox, the first having burned down in a garage fire which destroyed the whole car. The chops were identical, except that I never finished the first one.

I took 6.5" from the front, and 8" out of the C pillar, but decrowned the roof another inch in between the C pillars. (I made a cut following the driprail 3" above the driprail, starting 9" back from the center point of the B pillar. This allowed me to pull the C pillars out to the beltline and get rid of the boxy look when viewed from the rear) I also left the rear glass in its stock location, and simply laid it down 11"(at the top of the glass), than stretched the roof 14" to meet the top of the rear window.
    I made the roof stretch out of fresh sheetmetal, as well as the new sail panels in the rear. I bent them over my knee. I have never used an English wheel.

I really have no idea how to put pictures on the internet. I have a scanner and I have tried, but I just can't seem to do it. I do have some more pictures though, and I would like to post them.

Mark (from Ruffrodders) is going to come up sometime this week and film the car for his website, and you can see it there. I will also ask if he can teach me how to post pictures on the net.

Thanks for the comments. [​IMG]

Oh yeah, I made the skirts, too. I used 1/4" rod as a frame, (with a 5/16" bottom bow) and bent the rod in a vice until it formed a shape I wnated. Then, I made 3 "ribs" to form the crown of the skirt, and then skinned them in 20 gauge. The shitty part is that they bolt through the body with 1/4" studs, but I haven't come up with a better way to mount them yet. I plan on making a second set with some 54 Merc spears that I have and put them in the front of the opening. [​IMG]

24. Dan

Dan

I've got a '50 that is really fucked up, the front is chopped more than the rear so the top actually has a "rake". Does anyone have any pics of one done this way that actually looks good? Don't think mine does but kinda hate to hack it all apart and redo it...

25. laidoutford

laidoutford

bttt. Gotta go to work for now. Keep em coming folks.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

26. [ QUOTE ]
    here is my chopped 51 victoria with carson style top..

[/ QUOTE ]
    CHOPMERC...how about a run down of how you built the top, and strenghtened the body and/or chassis after slicing off the roof.

27. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Cool57, i called it a "carson style" top because its not really a carson top...it is a 2 door hardtop(victoria) with the padded canvas top applied to it...there are no frame re-inforcements necessary because the victoria & convertible shared the same heavy duty chassis....i'll post some pics of how the top looked before the top was covered...bob

28. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Laidoutford-
    I couldn't get your pics to come up...Could ya post one of your car I really wanna see how you did yours....

29. Lloyd

Lloyd

Laidoutford- Man, thanks for all the info. You really helped me a lot. I was planning on leaving the back window in place and laying it down. I was also planning a 5" to 6" cut on A pillars and 9" to 10" on C pillars. I figured the roof and rear window would not meet up also. I was wandering what other guys where doing.

Your chop has good flow. There are very few chopped shoeboxs that look just right to me. Great job!!!

I think one other shoebox that has a nice chop is the 50 Ford from San Diego, I think the owners name is Russ. It is the orangeish shoebox in C.K.Deluxe # 6 or 7. Again, just great overall flow.

Laidoutford- If you have any photos of your car during the chop or after, post them or email to me. I am like you, I don't know how to post photos. If I did, I would post pics of my shoebox.

One more question- By making the cuts following the driprail, the roof becomes a lot more moveable in the rear. You decrowned the roof, with these cuts and some shaping of the roof. But how do you know you only decrowned the roof 1"?

30. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

[ QUOTE ]
    One more question- By making the cuts following the driprail, the roof becomes a lot more moveable in the rear. You decrowned the roof, with these cuts and some shaping of the roof. But how do you know you only decrowned the roof 1"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to know more about how you did the decrown. When the shoebox does undergo a serious chop, like mailslots, I know its preferred to decrown the roof so that you dont have small windows and a nasty high crown that looks all out of place.

If any of you are having problems posting pictures on this subject, email them to me and I'll throw them up on my server and post them for you.