Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valley Custom radiused wheel wells

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Feb 26, 2009.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Seem to recall that there was a how-to article in one of the magazines, back in the '50s, showing how Valley Custom did radiused wheel wells. Since they were pretty renowned for doing things right, I'd like to review just how they did it.

Any OF's on here who can tell me which magazine title it was? Issue date would be great, but I'd sure settle for the title.

TIA

2. Rikster

Rikster

There was some good write up and photos on the Polynesian write up.

Scans by AtomicKustom from the Custom Cars 1954 Annual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I looked at Ina and I can tell you for certain the wheel openings are all metal without any rod or tubing to complete or reinforce the edge . The front fenders and quarters are a half rounded "J" style sheet metal edge similar to what you would see on an late 30's fender from a Buick or other pre-war GM car . The rear quarter wheel openings appear to have had the outer wheel housing pushed back for access to form the edge and the housing trimmed to fit and welded to the back side of the newly formed edge. All in all a very neat and all metal modification .

I have pictures of these areas posted to Picasa if you want a closer look .The link is posted below my signature. They dont show the inner part of the fenders and quarters well but if you need pics of these areas let me know.

So far from my expierience of coachbuilders and review of the Overman Lincoln, I can say with certainty that Valley's metal forming techniques and their execution of the work is right up there with some of the best of the coachbuilders that have ever lived.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. Rik, Do you sleep with your computer? :D

5. Rikster

Rikster

You don't?

6. Of course I do. It can be more fun than wifey dear at times.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thank you both!

Rik, I have that book, but I would have looked through upteen issues of R&C and Honk!/Car Craft before it occurred to me to look at the Custom Cars Annuals. I'm glad you saved me from the futile search.

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tony,

Ya lookin' to "let in" some paddle tyres on the faux 50, or going for the '53 Buick Skylark conversion on the shoe?

Just bein' nosey!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party ! "

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

Honestly, I was stunned when I saw that article. I always assumed they just transplanted lips from some other car (perhaps Pontiac). It never occurred to me that they might have just hammered them out freehand. And with almost no tools to speak of. Definitely raised my admiration for Valley Custom a notch! Not just customizers - master craftsmen.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Nope. Studyin' for the next (and probably last) project.

11. Tick, tick, tick...

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I might buy the "next" bit, but the "last" , nah!

You " Designer-Types" seem to be driven and make the Everready Energisier Bunny look like a slacker!

Swankey Devils C.C.

" It's time for another Tea Party !"

13. Rikster

Rikster

Tony,

I found another article on this subject.

Car Craft September 1954...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And car they worked on is this...

[​IMG]

14. coldwar

coldwar
    BANNED
    from USA

Any discussion of Valley Custom and their trademark radiused wheel openings must include Ron Dunn Ford. What a machine. Ref. 'America's Best Custom?' - Motor Life May, 1954 - CW

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Excellent, Rik, and thanks! I think that's the article that I actually remembered, rather than the one from the annual. Still looks like black magic to me.

Coldwar, the Ron Dunn Ford is among my very favorite classic customs. In fact, I probably voted in that Motor Life contest! Valley did radiused wheel wells on a lot of their cars, though; the Ralph Jilek and Glenn Hooker convertibles are closer to what I'm up to.

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Has the Ron Dunn Ford been restored, finely? It was last at Steve's Auto in Oregon, no? It would be great to see in bare metal!

Tony, the overcast in San Pedro won't allow for a good, clear spy satellite photo of what you're up to!

The Ford show at Knott's last Sunday was not bad, but no radiused wheel wells were observen by me.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is not An Act Of Compassion!"

17. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

We still have the Ron Dunn Ford. We have only just recently taken the car out of the moth balls to begin the restoration work. We did one photo shoot of the car "as is" and we have a few more planned as the restoration progresses. The big question is still which version to restore it to.

Attached Files:

18. coldwar

coldwar
    BANNED
    from USA

Hope you decide to do it as seen above - What a car you have, the stuff dreams are made of - CW

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Although the second round of customizing was also Valley Custom's work, the earlier simpler version was cleaner and better looking. Even though it would be more work, I hope you choose to do the original version.