Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A hydraulic brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by easyrider47, Oct 13, 2007.

1. easyrider47

easyrider47

Has anyone converted a Model A to hydraulic brakes? The brackets I see from street rod parts vendors mount the master cylinder bracket to the drivers side frame rail. It doesn't appear to leave room for the factory clutch pedal. How do you set the master cylinder up and still use the original clutch pedal and linkage?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Get a copy of "Model A Restoration Handbook" by Gordon E. Hopper.
    See Chapter 10, pages 74-90. This book was written decades ago and has the old fashioned way to hydraulicise a stock Model A!

3. People have been converting Model A's to hydraulic brakes probably since Henry first put hydraulic brakes on the '40 Ford. The 1-800-hot-rod stuff is probably intended for cars using automatic transmissions, but there's plenty of other ways to do it - like in the book as mentioned above.

4. 36Brua

36Brua

5. gashog

gashog

I have heard that some guys used to mount the master cylinder outside the frame rails and use the mechanical brake cross shaft to actuate it- don't do it, scarey setup with little mechanical advantage.

Courtesy of Bob Carabbio and Dick Sparks, here are a couple pix of a neat bellcrank linkage that mounts inside the cross member to tie the stock pedal to a rearward facing master cylinder. Easy to make and only one hole to drill in the crossmember :)

Attached Files:

joakimnj likes this.
  6. gashog

gashog

Attached Files:

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool stuff were do you find his goodies? I like to know more about the spacer/trans mount in the one picture?

8. gashog

gashog

Bob does not sell these. He made up the prints and was nice enough to send me a copy so I could see how he had done it and do the fabrication myself.

9. RetiredGuy

RetiredGuy
    from Washington

This looks like a nice arrangement. For some reason, I can't seem to print or view the pictures at a size that isn't too big (it clips off the edge) or too small (can't read). Would it be possible to get these emailed to me or in another format? I'm [email protected]. Thanks for any help you can give me, I like this approach. Although I'm not sure how access to the reservoir works. Brian

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

hyd brakes ?? why change a good thing ! my mechanicals are like a suicide clutch , got to have one !! never change a good thing , improve it !! ... mine slide all four radials ! no problem ................. steve

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

This is the one I used...worked perfect....It cost me $150 to have a machine shop build

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I like the bracket, very nice. The master cylinder looks like a single reservoir, do you know of one that would fit with a dual reservoir?

13. Some guys put a whole F1 pickup crossmember in. Gives you late pedals and mount for a master all in one.