Register now to get rid of these ads!

No more DIY Bodywork/Paint after 2007!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OGNC, Apr 4, 2006.

1. DrJ

DrJ

Sounds like it's "in committee" at present.
    Anyone know WHAT committee it is and WHO is on it?
    They are the only ones it will do any good to write to and to "inform" of our situation at present.

2. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

That's why I put the link to the SEMA Action Network because it makes it easy to find the federal representitives for your location, then you can just hammer their e-mail box with letters asking them to reject this bill that would only turn big corporate body shops into the only game in town.

3. Remember this-
    In America rules are passed-Rules are broken on an everyday basis......Its the way of the world.
    We will be able to buy out the back door of our local body shop/parts store.....its all about economics- money to be made?......well then-
    Yes, bootlegging paint supplies rules!

4. Bugman

Bugman

I'm gonna have to start using lead again(cause thats much better than Bondo:rolleyes: )

I have some paint that's almost 20 years old. Is that grandfathered in? Since the paint was around before the ban, shouldn't I be allowed to spray it?

With all VOC paints being banned, I would think that includes rattlecans too. It's currently $.94 a can at wal-mart, should I stock up? What's the fine for 30 gallons of lacquer and 200 rattlecans going to be?

5. 392_hemi

392_hemi

There is a specific process agencies follow for issuing federal regulations. Typically research is done and input is sought from interested groups, and that information is used to draft a proposed rule. In some instances there may be public hearings or an advance notice of proposed rulemaking. Proposed rules are published in the Federal Register, and a comment period is provided. Anyone can submit comments during that period and those will be considered by the agency when formulating a final rule. Depending on the comments recieved, and any additional information obtained, the agency may either withdraw the rule, issue a revised proposed rule with another comment period, finalize the prosed rule as originally issued, or finalize the proposed rule with changes. When the rule is finalized, it will have an effective date at which point the rule must be followed by the affected individuals or entities. Different parts of the rule may have different effective dates. There are some variations to this process, bu this is generally how it works. Seems like right now the refinish rule is at the very beginning of this process and a long way from becoming reality.

6. Another point is that rules and regulations passed must then be ......enforced.....
    That is sometimes not an easy job to do,especially in remote rural areas like so much of America is made up of......

7. pool

pool

Sounds like another prohabition better get to work on my big trunked hot rod to run the back roads with.

8. reborn55

reborn55

I agree that writing your Congressman is the way to go but do you honestly think that any of the spineless wimps that are there now are really going to do anything.

9. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Ive got a good friend way up North in NH whose farm borders on Quebec and his relatives own the other side. Lots of stuff has moved across there over the past 150 years!

If thats how I have to get my paint it WILL happen.

10. There's a point a which you have to stand up and make your voice heard. Regulations like this use the smokescreen of the enviroment to further the interests of those who control the bureau that makes the rules.

All this regulation will do is force business to places where these regulations don't exist. The body shops who think this will benefit them will most likely cause a DROP in their business in the long run. Especially those body shops near Mexico and Canada.

Money is a huge incentive. People will go to many lengths to save it, or make it on the black market.

EPA laws have already destroyed a company that was the sole provider of surf board blanks. Now the EPA is going after another one of my hobbies.

Here's what the EPA caused over the past year in the surfing world:

First: Clark Foam Shuts Its Doors

Then: Clark Foam Is Sold At Auction

I would take this EPA threat we are talking about seriously.

Mike

11. Bugman

Bugman

Now that I think about it, the same thing happened in the Chrome business. Not that people were chroming stuff at home, but alot of small local chrome shops went out of business when the EPA clamped down.

12. If it smells like a tree-hugger, if it sounds like a tree-hugger, if it walks like a tree-hugger, It's a tree-hugging hippie environmentalist.

can't blame Bush for everything........well, mebby so..........

bush stole my dentures post.jpg

13. Gunny

Gunny

looks like by that setup even the women folk wont be able to buy finger nail paint and some makeup..its paint to...war paint that is:D ..thank you, thank you ill be here all evening..

14. slacker91

slacker91
    from Emmaus, PA

what about One Shot for all us pinstripers?

15. :D 'Dang boy! I did'nt know you could write so well like that. What did you do, stay at a Holiday Inn Express?(or are you a lawyer?):D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

16. Retrorod

Retrorod

I live in one of the most tightly controlled Counties in Southern California, Ventura County. Our body shop has to record all paint, reducer, thinner purchases and has a laundry list of reports, lists, files and crap to comply with all of the VOC emission regs. It is a giant hassle for them but they manage to stay out of jail. On the home front, in the 33 years I've lived in my little "tract home" I must have painted a hundred cars complete and done frames, fenders, bodies and who knows what all....right there in my garage. I also do my own powder coating. I've never had a complaint or been cited for doing any of my stuff at home. Now mind you, our little city is really CS (chicken stuff) on this sort of thing but I think the key is a good relationship with my local paint supplier and I stay very "low key" with my activities. From the street you'd never know, most of the time, that I build hot rods. There are restrictions on all sorts of things in this area...even rattlecans! The propellant must contain no CFCs or anything like that. It's getting tougher but it can be delt with. I just wish I could buy John Deere Blitz Black without driving out of State.......and John Deere won't ship it to me either.

My 2 cents worth

17. jaybee

jaybee

OK, we know how to contact SEMA, we know how to contact our congressional representatives. How do we contact the EPA to provide input into this process? If it's early in the process this is the time to stop it.

18. Not all this is gonna be useful for painting cars, but a more extensive search may find some really good info.

Formula's from the past, if you can find them, may work well.

I post this as a matter of interest.

List of paint formula sites
    http://www.easyartsupplies.com/paint-formula.html

Paint formula information
    http://www.creative-chemistry.org.uk/activities/paints.htm

Some of the old nitrocellulose paints may be duplicatable (izzat a word?) if a formula was handy.

The water based paints may be considerably improved and be a viable substitution.
    Like others, I wonder how a water based primer is going to react to bare metal.

Seems too like boat manufacturers may get on the bandwagon about banning paints considering that many of them use paint like products in their gel coats and the like.

Some experimenters may find that Sherwin Williams type house enamels may be usable on cars.
    I do know that it looks like high quality stuff when brushed on.

A brushable finish may be a viable option.
    Marine enamels when applied by a skilled painter can be brushed on and look like high gloss plastic when done.
    A brushable paint would be an advantage to both sides of the proponents of this discussion.

Course, the way things go, the EPA is stupid enough to outlaw house paint and then we can all watch our homes deteriorate into nothingness.
    The EPA is about empire building and they don't give a shit what happens to the common person.
    Government perceives us, all of us, hot rodder or no, as a problem to be controlled.

Other things they're looking at is how to get a handle on the large population of hot rods and similar cars.
    After seeing 12,000 or so cars at the Frankfort, Kentucky - I think it is - big show, they were left wondering how they could get their hands on some of that pie.

Note for Dr. J.
    Far as varnish for the Blue Trucks bed, get yourself a few issues of woodworking magazines.
    A lot of the guys on there blend there own varnishes and stains from commonly available materials and achieve stunning results.

I mentioned it before, but I think that an iron on covering similar to what's used on R/C model aircraft is a do-able deal for cars.
    Some of the model airplane finishes are pretty nice.
    All you'd need would be a smooth underbase.
    Ironing on the color of your choice isn't too difficult.
    In fact, some two-tones could be achieved by Top Flight's trim colors.
    Available at any hobby shop.
    Looks to me like they ought to iron right onto a car's finish and you'd have patterned graphics with minimal mess.

Any chem majors on here that could give us some guidance toward mixing our own paint?

19. Brewton

Brewton

There is one good thing about livin' in the sticks. Nobody gives a $%&# about environmental stuff. I guess that's why Louisiana is Cancer alley.

20. dadseh

dadseh

BOYD and CHIP are behind this !!!

21. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

What a sucky load of shit!

And the thing to boot is that I'm 14, so, i have no word with Congress men because, "i'm too young to vote"... if there's any other way for me to help, let me know and i'll do what i can!!!

later...

troy.

22. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

F**K that i dont want to sound like i'm crazy but i'm up for kicking in epa members teeth

What has America come too?? It was a bunch of drunken gun toting nicotine addicted hicks driving hot rods or Trucks and thats the way it should be. The toughest damn country in the world.

But now we must be a bunch of vegitarian, hybrid driving, hippie ass, faggots who live in suburbs and drool all over an ikea catolog

SCREW THAT

23. Skimmer

Skimmer

Its the same in England with all this new legislation but its always the working man with an interest/hobby that suffers people like us who pay our way/tax's etc ,but if your a benefit scrounging lowlife unemployed scumbag the authorities will bend over backwards to help them......Dont get me started but like i said its the same here they banned cellious paint a while back but its still used in home garages...

24. cody440

cody440

This is Horse Shit! a quote from the article:

"Community groups have become incredibly active in their attempts to stop their neighbors from spraying paint at home in their garages at night, and to put an end to bad practices by certain businesses."

This is one part that stuck out to me, isnt this a load of crap.

25. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

This is typical of what's happening to this country. The government wants complete control of everything. Now...does that ring a bell with anyone? Remember c o m m u n i s u m? If we aren't allowed to paint then what's next? Well...we better outlaw these welding machines....seems they're polluting the air with there filty argon/co2 and it's affecting the inhabitants of North America...causing creativity, free thought and the ability to make what you want. From now on, only licensed (EPA) welders can own, possess, or commit "acts of welding". Please submit all future paint and welding permit request to Bejing, China and we will let you know! Again,...you heard it first...right here on this little ole hot rod forum:rolleyes: :cool: