Register now to get rid of these ads!

need info flame thrower exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100mphwheelspinner, Jan 15, 2004.

1. whos got the best kits? what to look for? propane?

2. badpat

badpat

the propane flames i have seen were pretty weak. autolock makes a really nice kit- very small and expensive. also doesn't come with the echaust bungs. i would have to say my kit is the best- nit as neat as autoloc- but cheaper and comes with bungs

3. what do you sugest instead of propane? what about got flames kit?

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

How about no flame throwers at all?
    They do nothing but destroy engines and if you've got a cool car that should be enough.
    Useless doodads as far as I'm concerned.

5. They are going on a friend of mines car. my car has no gauges except the oil and water. and only 2 switches one for lights and one for the electric fan. I am willing to say I probably have less "doodads" than you do.......your vote is noted

Nick Chesbro likes this.
  6. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

7. 1. The throwers that run off unspent fuel from cutting ignition kill engines. Motors are not meant to strain fuel through unburnt. Cylinder batheing = bad

2. The propane set-up's are cool if they are run w/ a mix of compressed air. You damn well better be an engineer for this one.

3. I think gas injection is the way to go. The fella' who owns northwestcustoms.net runs an EFI pump (70 gph I think) to a t fitting, then a line to each exhaust pipe w/ crimped brake line for nozzles. He gets nice, fluffy 10 foot long flames by shooting at glow plugs. The reason for this is that glow plugs don't spark, they glow. This means they won't go out [​IMG] Spark is provided my a toggle switched ignition that doesn't require that flushing your motor w/ gas crap.

If you are really serious about doing this, call Marty at NW Customs. He's a good guy and will sell you everything you need.

8. that site was helpful thanks

9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think you guys are flamethrower pussys... haha Nads.

I've been running flamethrowers the old school way... NO KITS, runs off unspent fuel and yes it washs down the cylinder walls but guess what??? all you have to do is change the oil... use them sparingly and they're cool as hell... not a useless do dad. hahaha...

put 20k on my flatty w/ flamethrowers, idles, runs just as good as the day I got it. But the fact is I make sure I keep my engine oil in check... thats it.

I didnt spend any money on a "kit" either... 2 wires, one switch and two coils... all parts you can find laying around or in a junk yard. I've had flamethrowers on my shoe since '92 or so.

10. 133

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you guys are flamethrower pussys... haha Nads.

I've been running flamethrowers the old school way... NO KITS, runs off unspent fuel and yes it washs down the cylinder walls but guess what??? all you have to do is change the oil... use them sparingly and they're cool as hell... not a useless do dad. hahaha...

put 20k on my flatty w/ flamethrowers, idles, runs just as good as the day I got it. But the fact is I make sure I keep my engine oil in check... thats it.

I didnt spend any money on a "kit" either... 2 wires, one switch and two coils... all parts you can find laying around or in a junk yard. I've had flamethrowers on my shoe since '92 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey tuck,

how do you get those types of flames? i was stupid and got a kit, and the kits shoots out ugly torch-like flames. i want flames like yours? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks. car looks killer.

11. ok, how do you add the air to the propain? and since i'm not a diesel person, are the glow plugs the same thread pitch as spark plugs and if so any ideas on which ones have long threads to get into the pipes?
    and can you run the glow plugs off a HEI ignition?

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Tuck's a homo. Hence his flaming throwers.

13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

haha Nads maybe your getting to old to have fun anymore, pretty soon everything will be gay... multi carbs will be gay, primer GAY and whitewalls of all things GAY haha... and the speed limit will seem like its too fast and everyone that passes you will be gay ha. JUST f'n with u NADs``

hey I run a wire from the bat to the two coils in the trunk

I run a wire from the Neg or pos side of the coil to a switch to the coils in the trunk (cant remember off hand)

I run a plug in each tail pipe

hit the button and it kills the spark to the dist., but uses the dist. to collapse the field on the coils in the trunk.... SO as the motor is decelerating the dist. is still turning, gas i still running thru your motor without spark, evaporates and hits the ass of the tailpipe mixed w/air. hits the spark plugs and you get fire... keep them lit by pulling the choke and it'll idle w/ flames comin out the ass end.

Simple really, dont know why people buy kits.
    everyones got a better way... but thats the "trad" way to do it...

just ask nads hes ol skool [​IMG]

Tuck

ps 133, the bigger the pipe, the bigger the flames AND use a choke...

14. 133

[ QUOTE ]

ps 133, the bigger the pipe, the bigger the flames AND use a choke...

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks a lot for sharing. mine is setup the same way, but get a totally different result. it's no big deal, but that's cool for the tech. btw, i don't have a choke.

15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

add a choke and it make the throwers RULE.

just change yer oil... [​IMG]

16. so-cheap

so-cheap

And Tuck ignites his remotely with his cell phone

17. gowjobs

gowjobs

The deeper up in the pipe you place the plug, the more thin and blow-torch-ey the flames will look, to a point. With the plugs out right at the pipe opening, you'll get big round fireballs that hardly project out from the car at all. That perfect flame is somewhere in-between... that's why this is an art.

Dave

18. This might sound stupid, but could it be done:

Theirs a friend I know, who wants to have flame throwers, but doesnt want to mess with his engine. He thought he could put a battery in his trunk/ under his seat with one switch. the battery would travel to the pipe with eaither some kind of grill lighter, or something that will shoot a spark. (non spark plug) when he hits the switch, (after pumping the gas) will it shoot flames?

I thought the spark has to be real hot, like a spark plug to make the fumes catch on fire. A normal grill lighter wont work, but he needs proof... Has any one attemted this cheep stupid idea?

His car is a 89-90 (forgot) Grand Prix, running a 6 bangger and one strait pipe.

19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Spark plug won’t spark with out collapsing the field on the coil. To do that you need to interrupt the flow of juice to the coil. That’s what the dist. does.

The coil creates something like 40,000 volts, a 12 battery isn’t going to make the plug spark.

20. gowjobs

gowjobs

Suggestion from a buddy who built the fireball generator on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland:

Fill a tank with propane, then over-pressurize it with your airbag compressor. A large diameter solenoid valve electrically hooked in parallel with your ignition source should give BIG results. He said that he got balls of 15 foot diameter at only 25psi.

"These men are professionals. Don't try this at home, kids!"

21. I told him that,,, then he just gave me more ideas, like a grill lighter and some other cheep things... I knew that a normal spark plug aint going to light it with out a coil... But what about the other ways?

So your telling me , i could stand behind my car with a lighter, and it will work with the right steps? You would have to be a complete moron, but hey, what else are we gonna do. [​IMG]

steve-

22. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

hahah yeah a lighter works

kanadia knows all about it.

23. Ha ha.. Are you serious thats you? Well im New Jerseian, i took a elky model , put propane into a tube running under the chassie of the car.... Shoots foot high flames ... Burnt my hairs too....

I got some vids, if you wanna see them, just give me your email..

steve-

Attached Files:

24. sammyvelvet

sammyvelvet
    from so cal

25. [ QUOTE ]
    Here is a pic of Martys car firing up the Flamethrowers.. they work really well I have seen and felt them up close...

http://photo.starblvd.net/thevelvets/3-2-1-1048863550?m=0&pg=2&ro=1&co=0

The "Genius" in the pick is none other than Mr. Eric...

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't seen that one before. I like it!

Basically, Mary ditched the NOS nozzles in favor of crimped brake line. The nozzles limit flow, the brake line doesn't. He also does this neat trick where he rolls forward real slow and sprays unlit gas on the ground, then lights em' up. This leaves long strips of burning fuel on the pavement.

26. lil mike

lil mike
    from OKC, OK

My flamethrowers on my '79 pickup are a kit from HotRodsetc. (or something like that). Then I added my own fuel injection though oil pressure line. Work great, but I still have to kill the motor at least once to get the pipes to light up, after that just idle and keep the gas running to ther pipes. The plug is a hot copper plug with solid core wire. The only bad thing about the electronic box is that it will melt if left on for a while (5mins.)!!

27. Brickster

Brickster

I’m running an AutoLoc Kit and have had a real good experience with it. The biggest advantage is that it pulses the coils so fast that you almost have a constant spark. Also remember velocity has a lot to do with it, if your running 2" pipes and then at the end you throw a tip on with a larger diameter the velocity slows down and creates turbulence. With small pipes the airflow is moving faster and the flames shoot farther. I have a short 15sec video of the flames on my car e-mail if interested [email protected]

28. so-cheap

so-cheap

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

shortbus wrote it if i recall corectly, its just a pic of tuck and the hex up top

30. so-cheap

so-cheap

YOur right tim. I'm getting too old. Sorry Shortbus.
    I originally include the Hex cause it was such a cool picture.

I just posted this as a tech article for the new guys.