Register now to get rid of these ads!

custom hidden stereo idea..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jun 12, 2005.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

ok,so,my CD player was bolted under the dash by the previous owner and i was thinking about hiding it in an under the dash tissue dispencer,but after lookin at some of the prices for them,i figured i could make a fake front of one and just rig it up to sing open when i wanna fiddle with the CD player...any idea where i could find a chrome V to use for a logo?doesnt have to be huge or anything fancy.just kinda wanna make it look cool..if not,i'll probably just find some cheap trim at an auto parts store and use it..anyway,here's the kinda thing i was thinkin about tryin to immitate..any thoughts would be appreciated,thanx
    creepy

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Oh I wanna know too!!! I have original radios in all of my cars and not a single one work.........not that I dig am radio but SOMETHINGS better then nothin! Hate the glovebox thing and I WILL NOT cut the dash so if ya figure this out KEEP ME POSTED!
    xxx
    Brandy

Oh I'd use the V from a DeSoto or something!

3. Muttley

Muttley

Mount it under the front seat. It would be easy to stick CD's in and if you get one with a remote it would be easy to controll.

4. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Even without having to point the stupid controller at the thing? Shows ya how often I use the tv!!:D I'd rather have a record player under my dash but I'm easy.....not cheap and easy, just easy!;) :D
    xxx
    Brandy

5. Darby

Darby

Some come with wired remotes, or have them as an option. I think Sony sells a couple like that--I'm sure other brands have them too.

You can also get a cheapo stereo that has an 1/8" auxillary input jack, hide it under the seat, and plug a portable MP3 player into it. If you really need the radio, you can reach under the seat to tune it. The only part that needs to show is the end of the patch cable, and you can bring a couple thousand songs with you- and you don't have to hide your CD's all the time if you live in a lousy neighborhood. I did this in my daily with a $35 no-name cassette deck from Best Buy (after getting a $450 window smashed to steal a $200 CD player), and it works great.

6. Another vote for portable MP3 player.

Get an amp w/ audio in jacks, hook up speakers, Get a splitter from Radio Shack for $9 and you can directly hook your MP3 player as your stereo.

I use my iPod as my main car stereo -- 6000+ songs, no CDs needed. And I put it in my pocket when I get out of the car.

7. guiseart

guiseart

Does anyone "hide" your speakers too? I'm a big audiophile, but I'd love to come up with a huge "hidden" system, cd changer, speakers, amps... everything hidden from first glance. How about that company that takes your original faceplate and makes it actually work with a hidden cd player behind it, anyone know what I'm talking about? Your original buttons work different functions on the new system... hmmm... now I'm gonna have to find that ad again.

8. guiseart

guiseart

Found it...
    http://www.soundmove.com/customautosound.htm

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

the dash in my effie wasnt cut so i put mine in my glove box and hid everything else....

10. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

That's generally the first place axholes look when they plan on rippin yer cd player off.......had one in the exact same place on my 58...HAD is the big word there!

I don't think I dig the under the seat thing.....being a woman it's prolly not such a good idea to try and switch stations, put lipstick on AND do a lane change!;) :D

The Mp3 or Ipod idea isn't bad.........then I could take it with me!! I don't wanna spend a whole lotta money but if ya ask anyone here in town, I've ALWAYS got my head phones on......and that's another ticket I DON"T NEED!:D
    xxx
    Brandy

11. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

if they can figure out how to get in my truck they can have it.... i dont have any door handles so its pretty hard....:D

12. jdub

jdub

I second that motion. Yet another plus to yankin' excess, unnecessary body parts.

I put mine under the dash, centered directly under the original stereo. The polished aluminum, former-chart-table also houses my 3 favorite gauges (oil pressure, temp, and volts). If well executed, it looks pretty sexy, and it's as convenient as it's gonna get. I agree with Brandy; if you drive your ride as often as I do, you're not gonna want to be diggin' around under your seat lookin' for buttons by braile at 80 mph.

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Yeah buddy! I'm scary at 80mph as it is! Just ask the California Highway Patrol.:D I swear riding with me requires goggles and Jr Brown on the radio!! Whoo hoo! Like Thelma and Louise on their fateful journey in a Squarebird!

Ohhhhhh and yeah shaving the handles off the car prolly would deter potential thieves........cept for one small tiny little detail.....the damn car's topless!:D
    xxx
    Brandy

14. choppermatt

choppermatt

speakers can be mounted in luggage area behind the seat, jus put them on the metal cut slits in metal and cover it iwth tuck and roll or carpet. the sound will come throguht and no visible speakers

15. 55ford

55ford
    from henderson

Here is a place that converts the radio to new electronics, but use the same buttons and everything on the front of the radio, so it works the same as original but plays todays stuff. I haven't used them, I want to look into it eventually in my car.

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/stereoF.htm

16. get tissue box, pop out old rivets, mount cd player in, mount tissue box, pop face off tissue box and there you go....

17. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Actually, creating a hinged door or mounting the cd player far enough back in the tissue box would create the visual of a tissue holder when you aren't sitting in the car with a big ol bat to smack wandering hands..........dribble drool!:D Thanks boys! You've saved a gal's sanity.....or not?
    xxx
    Brandy

18. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

speaking of hiding the stereo. i have a big (DIN and a half) Pioneer stereo left over from my long gone S10. i wanted to mount it in my daily driver 83 Chevy truck but there is'nt realy room in the stock location plus i don't often lock it so i wanted it out of sight aswell. what i did was remove the ashtray (filthy habit anyway), take the glove box door froma donor dash and section it verticaly so it fit between the left edge of the ashtray opening and the original glove box door. it took some cutting and welding (and it is'nt totaly done yet) but when it is done it will easily house the DIN and a half head unit and will be fairly unnoticable. i'd concidered putting a stock glove box door latch, with the key lock on it, too. then i could lock it without locking the truck. i'll prolly start locking the truck once i have CDs inside it anyway, but if theives don't see a nice stereo in there they will be less likely to break my window and steal it.

i've had lots of ideas for hidden stereos in alot of different cars. Mongo's 60 Olds has a gloce box long enough to put your boots in so we're gonna build a sheet metal insert that will house the stereo, air ride gauges (once it is bagged) and prolly a set of cheapy aftermarket oil/amp/temp gauges). the switches for the bags will fit in the ash tray closest to the driver. then the stock stereo wil still adorn the factory opening and will fit the interior style much better than a new model stereo would.

19. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

PBR,you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post.....is that a 54 dash in yer pix?looks almost EXACTLY like my dash,cept i dont have the stock radio for it, just the bezel...you got a spare 54 radio sittin around? heheh i just need a dummy to stick in the stock dash and MAYBE hook up a dash light to..thanx
    creepy

20. randy

randy

Yep, PBR has it. There is a local shop that practically makes a living off of Stereo installs in Bling-bling tri-5's. That's the way they do it & it looks pretty slick.

-r

21. yah, that's my 54, tissue box is outta fathacks 51?
    no stock radios sitting, mines has never been tried

22. sawzall

sawzall

YES.. I am Hiding the sound system thats going in "sticks" my 48 olds wagon.

AND I am really excited about the sub assemblies I have built so far.. however its not "done" yet.. so I dont have photos..

as for the radio.. I am a BIG fan of the "in the glove box thing" however.. i have seen a "universal under dash radio mount" at pep boys.. essentially its a flat black plastic box that can be bolted under the stock dash.. a cover for the front could be easily fabricated out of stainless steel to APPEAR to be a tissue box..

good luck

sawzall