Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 50 Millionth GM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Jalopy Journal, Jan 19, 2012.

1. The Jalopy Journal

The Jalopy Journal

2. Cool post!

I think it's really cool that the 50 Millionth Car was the '55 Chevy, which in my opinion, was the car that propelled Chevrolet to a position of dominance for decades afterward. That car may be the most significant car (besides the Corvette) that GM ever built.

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And where is it now???

4. customcory

customcory

It is in North Carolina, I was standing right beside it 20 years ago or more. The guy was restoring it, already had replated some of the gold stuff. It had a special ID tag on the firewall. I'll have to ask my dad who the guy was, as I can't remember. But, it was definitely the car.The guy that had it had a bunch of Nomads too, always bought NOS parts from my dad. I have no pics, sorry. Oh yea we had about 50 of those coins , but sold them in Carlisle many years ago.

kiwijeff likes this.

5. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

November 23, 1954 was a Tuesday. I was born on the 25th, which was Thanksgiving Day that year. I agreed that it would be interesting to know where the gold 55 Chevy is now. I assume in a GM museum somewhere?

6. customcory

customcory

Just talked to my dad, the guy that owns it is Bill Edney, of Columbus, N.C. Somebody on here might know him. He always had a good Nomad collection. I know it blowed my mind when we saw it. There were some gold 4 door Bel-Airs too.:D

7. customcory

customcory

Just found out Bill died Nov.5 2011.Founding member of the Carolina Nomad Club. I guess the car may be up for grabs now. I googled his name. Heres the story according to my dads. Bill saw the car going to the scrapyard . The previous owner was going to make a race car out of , but never did , so off to the scrapyard. This was before they were worth the money they are now. What caught Bill's eye was the gold side trim still on it. The rest of the trim parts were inside the trunk. The gold hoodbird was still on it and all the inside trim was gold anodized or plated. The car was Black & white then. He called my dad and offered it to him for 400 dollars. I think thats when we looked at it. It had factory A/C and power everything.My dad agreed to buy it and we left. About a couple of weeks later Bill calls my dad and say I hope you don't get mad, but i think I will keep this car. That was fine to us since we didn't need any more projects anyway. It was later that we learned that there was only one sport coupe done and its the one in the parade and in the promo movies. We are still kicking our asses. But Bill started getting the chrome redone gold, buying nice NOS to do it with. This was before reproduction. I'm sure the car will be up for sale now, we haven't heard anything. It might show up on e-bay now, as I think the family isn't going to anything with it, but I may be wrong. I don't know how it got to N.C.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  8. customcory

customcory

9. customcory

customcory

10. customcory

customcory

bttt I wonder if somebody on here knows Bill?

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interesting about the owner. Sorry to hear he has passed. It was mentioned on another thread that Chevrolet offered to restore the car for him back in 2002 if they could use it for the 50th anniversary celebration of the 55 Chevy in 2005. Supposedly the owner turned it down as he was afraid he would somehow lose the car.

Attached Files:

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Handouts during GM facility open houses on the commemorative day...

Attached Files:

13. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Please dont think Im trying to be an ass to say this, but its "blew". ;)

Anyway, very cool thread! I'd love to see that car. Kind of odd their 50 millionth car just so happens to be such an iconic one as well.

14. customcory

customcory

Well, if you live down south its BLOWED.

15. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I need to see this dictionary of southern english...

I think it's "outstanding" that, in 1954, out of all the GM lines and brands, the 50,000,000th car built was a brand new design just about to hit the showroom floor. The Marketing Gods smiled upon General Motors that day.

16. the-rodster

the-rodster

Didn't I hear, just yesterday, that GM was back on top as the largest automaker?

Toyota held the crown for a while.

Rich

17. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I know- for a while, Toyota just kept accelerating and accelerating...

(couldn't help it, sorry)

18. realkustom51

realkustom51

Hey Cory. I still have a few of those coins that didn't get sold. Do you remember when I found that jar of coins.
    I was a little kid walking around the grounds of the first or second Carlisle event (1974 or 75) when I stumbled on that jar of coins. I know one of the coins made it onto a belt buckle. The ones I have left are looking kinda rough today.

[​IMG]

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

Very cool car.It'll probably end up at the Barrett-Jackson next year.

20. Dzus

Dzus

Chevy also made 5000 BelAirs painted a special gold and sent one to each dealer to promote the occasion. My dad bought one of the 'Anniversary 55's' and it was the car I was brought home from the hospital in.

Not mine, but more info:
    www.classicsurvivor.com

21. 2935ford

2935ford

Very cool story.
    I had a '55 Chev ragtop years ago. Coral and shadow grey.

I wonder where the rest of the cars (1st Cad 1908 etc) in the movie are?

22. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Sorry to hear he passed away.

Cory, please update this thread if you hear any more. I have been interested in that car since I read the book "The Hot One".

Larry

23. thurman von junkshit esq

thurman von junkshit esq
    from mi

This is bittersweet for me. I grew up in Flint, and unfortunately 80% of the buildings in the background are now run down or gone altogether. I lived and grew up there before it (the city) became the continual butt of jokes it's now known as. It's a shame all guilty parties(the corporation, the union, the workers) couldn't come to terms to keep the city the industrial leviathan it once was. This is still a way cool video and historical event(I saw this video at Sloan Museum when I was ten or eleven), and my grand-dad had a picture book of the car being assembled(he worked at Fisher 1, where the car was built). Cool memories. Perhaps they'll have a similar gala in Mexico or China when the zillionth car rolls off the assembly line.

24. thurman von junkshit esq

thurman von junkshit esq
    from mi

oh, and I know zillion isn't a real numerical figure....

25. BELAIR1957

BELAIR1957
    from PA

I have a postcard with the car on with a february 1955 post mark.

Does any one know any of the names on the card.

I picked up at a fleamarket years ago.

Attached Files:

26. realkustom51

realkustom51

Damn what a postcard!!! Looks like you could take that card to the paint store and get it matched.

27. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really geek out on factory photos and anything Jam Handy. I often wonder if any of the cars shown still exist today, not that anyone could ever confirm something like that, but I like to think about stuff like that. Some of my own cars, I wonder what their past was like and where they are now?

I was struck by how many people showed up for that parade and what a big deal it was. I guess when GM was the bread and butter of that town it makes sense really, show up and wave the flag if you will.

28. Erwin Waxman

Born: 1902 Died: 1983
    State of last residence: Kansas
    State issued: Missouri

29. BELAIR1957

BELAIR1957
    from PA

Here is a better photo i found on line.

Attached Files:

30. Dzus

Dzus

I guess he was into trading Post Cards ('PC's). Detroit, New York City, but does 'ST' mean state?