Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1947 Huth Sports Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Great story, I remember seeing this car in the new "rodders journal" "hot rods and custom cars" book! I presume this is the same Gerry Huth that originally owned this '40 Merc that most of us here on the HAMB knows:

[​IMG]

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I for one can appreciate the lines. I also have been known to recently fall in love with the Telstar!!

[​IMG]

4. Nice, a bit goofy but cool. Thanks for posting.

I guess Gerry Huth sponsored Ted Miller's lakes T
    [​IMG]

5. At least the '40 Merc was good looking. Not easy to design and build a great looking car - as he found out.

6. Rikster

Rikster

What a great story Geoff.

I had seen the car before in the Dan Post Blue book, in some of the advertisements for the Fiberglass company and recently in the "Hot Rods and Custom Cars" book published by The Rodder's Journal.

Although the lines on this car dont all seem to work together as they probably should have I have always been intrigued by this very early attempt of custom Sports Car. If only the custom windshield would have been laid back a bit more this car would have looked a whole lot better. But still this is 1946 That the car was first started and nothing about customizing had been published back then. So Gerry must have been all on his own building and designing this car. Quite an effort.

Here are a few more photos of the car...
    I especially love the first photo with the low angle, and great looking white wall tires....(check out the pattern on the black side wall detail)

I know these Sports Custom Cars are not for everybody... but I like them, and I think they have been an important part of the early custom car history.

Thanks for the story Geoff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MBL

MBL

The thing about custom cars....not everyone is going to like what the builder envisions. Some customs I like, others I don't, but I love history. I don't personally think this car is goofy really, but there is no denying the historical significance.

What we have here is a really early example of the application of major custom body changes. Concepts that were later employed by others, in varying degrees. But to be of the first to do something...this is the story. When you have nothing to go off of, you are breaking new ground and laying the foundation for those to follow. We owe everything to the pioneers. Is the first hot rod the coolest looking? the fastest? Maybe not, but I'd like to own it.:)
    Tim
    MBL

8. so the early corvettes had to come from some kinda previous work .. just squint a llittle.. or photo shop it some

seems kinda close in a odd way all gm body lines visible there ..

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Wow, it's the sportscar from early disney cartoons, come to life. Neat ride

10. sloorider

sloorider

ahahah...rite on good eye...

I love the smell of fiberglass in the morning:D

11. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

There was a Huth body on eBay a few months ago .....went for about 800......!