Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 241 Hemi in a 38 Dodge truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1938 Dodge, Apr 30, 2012.

1. 1938 Dodge

1938 Dodge
    from Biloxi MS

God evening to anyoone and all,
    I'm new to this so here is what I have, its a 1938 Dodge RC Truck which I also have a 241 Hemi just sitting here wanting to go into the truck. I measured the engine and it looks like it will fit but I'm not sure on the steering a what if any mods would I have to do or should I do (mustang II, stock, or sub frame) to make this mod happen?
    If anyone has completed this kind of mod any and all input would be great.
    Thanks in advance for any and all help

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

A pic of the stock front end would help. 37-54 Mopar cars were all about the same and a Cavilier or Omni rack and pinion can be made to work. Not sure if trucks are the same.

3. 1938 Dodge

1938 Dodge
    from Biloxi MS

I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post them.

I just loaded a couple of pictures I hope this will help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. monc440

monc440

Welcome to the HAMB from a fellow Mopar HEMI guy. The steering on these is on the left side on the outside of the frame from the gear box to the left spindle then a drag link connects the right spindle. Get the HEMI mocked up where you want it and make your engine mounts. You will not have any issue with steering if you plan to use the stock steering configuration.

5. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I put a 331 Chrysler in my '36 Dodge pickup, I believe the frame, steering, and cab are the same. Your Dodge hemi should fit easier. The only change I had to make to the steering was to move the steering box back on the frame by 6", lengthen the drag link, and shorten the steering column a like amount. I had to notch my fenders around those big Chrysler heads, I think your fenders will clear a 241.

Attached Files:

6. 1938 Dodge

1938 Dodge
    from Biloxi MS

Thanks for the info I will be trying to mock up the motor this weekend and from what I eyed It looks like I will be able to use the front motor mount from the flat head with my Hemi. then the only real mounts I have to work will be the transmission mounts. Also what rear end should I be looking for? I have heard but have not had a chance to verify that a B body 8 3/4 will bolt right up does anyone know if this is true?
    I will also upload pictures as I move along with this project

7. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I was able to drill out the rivets from the stock motor mounts, then switch them right for left. Had to drill two new holes for each to mount. Then the 331 fit right on them.

8. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

The 241 and the flathead 6 use the same type of front engine mount. You can probably drop the 241 right onto the old mount for the flathead 6. The only problem with that is the 241 is actually shorter than the straight 6, so the engine will sit further forward. Not a huge issue, but because of the way the engine compartment narrows at the front you'd be better off sitting the engine as far back as possible to maximize your fender clearance and working room.

You can probably modify the front mount to move the engine back a little, you may have to extend the "feet" on the original mount so you can slide the engine back a bit. Piece of cake if you have access to a welder.

Either way, to test fit it you should be able to drop it right onto the old engine mount. That should tell you how much room you have to work with.

I'm looking at putting a 270 in my '37 Dodge MC. I have the engine, just haven't mocked it up yet. Trying to avoid cutting the fenders, the engine compartment is pretty narrow at the front for a V8, and the extra width of the hemi's doesn't help. If I can get away with it, I'll be using a wider DeSoto 291.

9. 1938 Dodge

1938 Dodge
    from Biloxi MS

I got the 6 out the other day and What is differnent is that I have a long block in my truck and the fire wall is notched back into the cab. I'm in the process of pouring the slab to my little garage and once I have that done I will be moving everything into to it. That is when I will start mocking everything up and see what it all looks like. I dont really dont want to start cutting the fenders and all if I can help it. My only cocern at this time is the steering box being in the way, but I wll look at it when the time comes.
    I will start posting pictures of everything I do when I get started

10. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NEVER use a frame- mounted rack with a straight axle. Bump steer city.

11. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Here are some pictures of my 38 Dodge truck with the Steer Clear box from Wizard. The pictures were taken during assembly and mockup. I'm in the midst of finally assembly as I write this. I'm running a 270 Dodge Hemi with a 4-71 blower. I have a Mustang II in the front with a manual rack. I have a mini starter as well. I like the way this works as I have a straight shot to the rack from the steering box. Since the exhaust points downward off the head, the steering runs straight underneath it with no interference. The headers with cutouts will be run underneath the front fender. Good luck with the project, I'd like to see pictures of the truck.

You can PM me if you have any more questions.

Attached Files:

12. das858

das858

I can confirm that a B body 8 3/4 will bolt right in to your '38. I have a '69 B body 8 3/4 in my '38 Plymouth truck, I bolted it in on the stock spring perches like it belonged there.

13. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Regarding the mock up of your 241 Hemi, here are a few more pictures that should help you out. These pictures are from 4 years ago when I first started with my 38 Dodge. The picture of my Hemi with the fender on it shows how much room I have. Keep in mind that the valve cover still needed to be put on. I may need to notch the fender a little bit. I won't be running the hood sides at all. I thought I would just use the original frame and motor mount but I found that the exhaust was pointing down over the frame rails and making the exhaust for it would be pose some problems. I knew I wanted to drive this everywhere I could, long distance, etc. I chose to go with the Mustang II and 4-link rear. Everyone has there opinions on what they like, what they can afford, and what they can do themselves. This just happens to work for me. If there any other pictures you'd like to see let me know, I have a lot of them.

Attached Files:

14. you might want to fabricate a simple front mount for the 241....I put a 270 into my 52 ford f1 and that worked very well...my 270 block has no provision for engine mounts on either side....your steering will be ok as is......the material used for the front mount was 1" square stock....the flathead front mount is different than a stock 241/270 mount....I've had my hemi in the ford for five years now and it still brings a smile to my face every time I step on the gas !!!...BTW, I used blockhugger shorty headers bought from Hot Heads.

15. 1938 Dodge

1938 Dodge
    from Biloxi MS

Thanks for all the info I have been out of town and will be working on the install this weekend. I will try and post pictures when I get the motor in.

8thdaycr8: where did you get the blower intake at for your 270? That would be the ultimate build.

mschiffel: post some pictures here for me Please?

Last edited: May 31, 2012