Register now to get rid of these ads!

1927 roadster windshield pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyjack, May 17, 2010.

?
  1. bottom half and cut off posts

52 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. 4 inch chopped Speedway frame and posts

13 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Speedway Duvall type brass V

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I made enough money at the swap meet to buy a windshield for my 27 but am torn as to what to get.

A. Just the bottom windshield and cut off posts
    pros- looks cool and sleek
    cons- My head would stick out the top

B. The 4inch channeled speedway Mr Roadster frame
    Pros- buy and bolt on
    cons- still looks too high and dorky

C. The speedway brass Duvall
    Pros- looks cool and the brass can be given an antique patina
    Cons Expensive, head still may stick over the top and can't add a hood later

Anybody use either of the speedway screens? please post pictures

[​IMG]

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

First vote!! I go with A although I think it would be nice to get something too high and then cut down to taste, yourself. I've been following the build and must say you have an awesome car!!

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Too Bad you cant make your Own hallock style windshield, That would being Screaming!!

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Definitely a cut down origional. Being out of the way of flying debris is highly over rated when you can be cool and eat an occasional june bug (or flying rock).

Frank

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Why would a Duvall frame keep you from adding a hood later?

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

a. Be sure you're buying an original 26-27 FORD windshield setup rather than the commonly mis-identified and won't fit your Ford late 20s- Chevrolet windshield frame and post setup.

The original post and frame setup are the best looking on 26-27 Open Cars in my opinion. You can chop the top frame and retain it in abbreviated height for head/eye protection quite easily.

b.OK, I'm guessing the Mr. Roadster windshield frame you speak of is chopped 4", not channelled.
    c.Duvall-style windshields do not preclude the sue of a hood.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think he means a top.

8. Last edited: May 17, 2010
  9. bct

bct

build your own!

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I'm the guy you got the free flathead from, remember me? I have a template made, of MDF, of a Duvall style windshield I made years ago when I was building my '27 roadster. You're welcome to have it. I had a simple plan to build it. The biggest advantage to it is air flow over your head. With a stock windshield in a T roadster the air pounds on the driver from all directions but with a slanted screen it goes right over your head. Come and get it. Doug

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Cut-down original, they look more traditional, if that's the look you really want...again my source is Don Montgomery, and most of the '27 roadsters in his books have the cut stock windshield....I ran a cut-down A windshield on my own roadster and found that even though it was below eye-level, the wind actually blew over my head....(but then again it's your car, so do as you want).....

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I run just the bottom half and love the look. I have to wear eye protection though. I also like that it makes me feel like I'm riding a motorcycle without a helmet. We haven't been able to do that here in California for a long time.

I was going to run a Duval, but I needed the cowl door for access to the stuff under the dash.

13. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

stopped by Marks and borrowed his windshield stanchions and finished welding a roadster windshield frame made from old T top windshield frames. I made the uprights a couple of inches bigger while i was at it. (I filled them with sand to bend them)
    This is going to be the cheapest option because i only need to buy stanchions and chop them down.
    Dont worry Mark I cut yours down and added a tint to simulate glass in photoshop LOL

Hey Doug I will take you up on the patterns i like to have all the options at hand

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  14. Here's a couple...

Attached Files:

15. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

I am with him. Plus how many duvalls are there? Too many right now. I like them but they are a little over done.

16. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Get what you want. Gee try to be your self. When I was young, I always was asking "what do I do, what makes me" Now I know--be you and do as you wish. Stop with the stupid poll, that's first.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  17. I am going to throw out something an old hot rodder said to me when I said the same thing about red cars.

"How many Duvall and Hallock equipped cars have YOU EVER SEEN IN ONE PLACE???????????????" In your daily drives do you see dozens of roadsters with these windshields? Is your parking lot at work filled with hotrods with these windshields? Your supermarket lot?

See, your statement in kinda over the top. Whatever we want to think WE ARE THE MINORITY.

18. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

You are a complete Idiot!
    Gee its not about getting what I want! I am a design engineer by trade and its a trade off between form, function and cost. If you dont have something constructive to say don't waste your time posting rubbish.

19. I vote for A. That is my plan for the Willys .

CBB

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Option A.....My head is over the top, (but you could adjust your seating to help lower you if needed), ....... you just have to learn to stop smiling otherwise you keep picking the bugs out of your teeth :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jet96 and 55willys like this.
  21. There isnt a 'No screen' button, thats what I would hit :)

55willys likes this.
  22. No screen is alotta fun!

23. nutajunka

nutajunka

I voted A. Looks like you built most of it, if not all so you might as well continue.

24. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Thanks for those Cactus 1 the point of this post was to get some pictures of the options so I could make an informed choice.

I think the picture on the left is the custom frame that is 4" shorter and its growing on me.

25. I went with the chopped off stock windshield. That's what I would have done when I was young.

but that car really needs knuckle guards. Just a half moon shaped piece of lexan (or glass) in front of the driver and let 'er fly.

26. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

"You are a complete Idiot!" "I am a design engineer by trade" If you know everything, then whats with all the questions? Like I said--be yourself, and polls are still stupid.

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

florida and washington
    go to your corners

let's please keep the drama to a minimum

28. I'll second that. I have to remind my 16 year old grandaughter everyday that she just has to ignor the other folks.

29. 26T

26T
    from Denver

1 more vote for no screen.

30. RichG

RichG

here's a few different pics of windshields, as you asked for originally :D

Attached Files: