Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 'Barn Find' is not dead my friend...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. I haven't been lucky enough to uncover a car or truck that time has forgot but I keep looking. HRP

3. S.F.

S.F.

that was written well...its about just like that

4. Weasel

Weasel

And then gently cleaning off years of accumulated crud to reveal the treasure buried underneath....

5. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Well written as always Jay...

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hidden treasure!

7. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inspiring writing - it's the hunt and the vague promise of the treasure at the end. They're still out there.

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

to me its seeing that old pile of metal, nuts and bolts that has been hiding in the dark for years and years... and bringing it out in the day light and making it usable again... there is no feeling like finding an old car in an old building

9. Can I get an AMEN

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dust, bird shit, musty upholstery...yum.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

12. I think there are a couple of things that make it exciting. There's the treasure hunt aspect of it that is indeed exciting, but for me an even bigger thrill is uncovering a piece of the past that has been frozen in time. It's the closest you can come to time travel. It's almost a mystical experience when you begin to discover the mysteries surrounding a long dormant old car.

Being a musician I have had the opportunities to play instruments that are 100 or 150 years old and I marvel at the idea that the sounds that are produced are the exact sounds that would have been heard in a much earlier time. The same goes for the sound of an old engine, especially when you hear it for the first time. Something about it quickens my pulse. I think it's the idea that I have given life again to something that was quiet for so long and in the process it speaks to me across time. Voices from our fathers and grandfathers.

That might be corny, I know, but that's how it makes me feel. And, there's almost no better feeling.

13. When I was 19-20 years old I was really into 60's Fords. One day at work a lady from another store called me. I didn't know who she was, but she said "everyone tells me your into old Fords". I replied yep, and she said "My Husband's good friend's father died a few months back and he has an old car in the garage they need to sell". I asked her what it was, she said "all I know is it's a Galaxie 500".

I agreed to go look at it after work, I figured it was a 73 LTD or something. Nope, it was a 1963 Galaxie 500 two door hard top. Black with red interior. Interior was MINT. Last licensed in 1967, sat there since with a blown 223. Had 39,000 miles on the clock. It was (and probably still is) the nicest old car I owned. I gulped as I asked how much they wanted, fearing it was way out of reach. The man replied "I was gonna ask 1500.00, but beings I have not cleaned it yet you could have it for 1300.00"

That was my first "garage find". There is no feeling like uncovering hidden treasure!

14. And the ever present mouse turds and nest. :rolleyes: HRP

15. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I never found anything really rare in a barn but It was awsome to find my 56 f-600. Felt like I had hit the lottery, I can only imagine what finding a deuce would be like

16. dprodder

dprodder

I found a '34 Tudor while working in Minnesota, and had to pump up one tire to put it on the trailer. It hadn't run since 1967, but had red alcohol in the temp guage, a Southwind heater, and a Sol-R-Air sock and aluminum door heater, The interior is roached but everything is there but the air cleaner. The thrill of the chase is real, and once in while you win.

17. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

just dug two 50' woody wagons, a tudor, a coupe, and a four door out of a barn two miles from my house last week. Been there since 1973. Thousands of us drove past that barn every day and rarely thought twice about it. It was THE nastiest place I've ever been as far as animal poop and trash goes but DAMN...it was the best time I've had yet this year. Nothing quite like it.

18. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so has Jay found a new project?

19. people who don't look very seldom find anything .... history, old cars , asst. parts .. gee its fun ....at an auction last week, looked at some cars moved out buildings for the first time in 35 years .some more were in a fenced yard since the 60's. sadly they were in a waist deep flood this spring ... most went for scrap prices except the 58 edsel bermuda wagon i wanted .. dint get it though..

20. silverdome

silverdome

My wife and I just picked up an old console stereo this weekend and brought it back to life. It wasn't quite as exciting as an old car but it was fun.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

As a mere mortal who happen to stumble on a '32 3w body along with a friend that was stored in a semi truck trailer some time ago and driven into a field, I can attest that they are indeed out there and ripe for the picking! We recently sold the car but the day we found it is gonna be a day I remember for a long long time. Keep looking!

22. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Having just spent a weekend in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. I was reminded of the time my then boss and I retrieved a 1907 Cadillac from a carriage shed / garage there back in the seventies. It had been sitting since 1911, and had obviously seen quite a bit of use. I thought the selling price of $5000 (if I remember correctly), was too much. My boss got it running the next day, and soon after it was appraised for $18,000. Must have been the solid white tires.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We live out in the country, and often go for pleasure drives. Lots of old farms out here. Didn't take long for my wife to catch on to the idea of hidden treasure. Now, when we pass by an old farm, even she wonders out loud..."What's in yer barn, Mr.?"

24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I went "Glassing" with a friend for deer season. I didnt see any deer, though he did.
    I saw aloooooot of old cars though.

25. Heck, I will help friends clean up their barn find just to have to joy of rubbing on it! ... love has no bounds.

26. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Back in 1984 I was dating a gal from North Dakota and she told me her Dad wanted to sell an old car...she had driven it a couple of times to school when her car was broke down but didn't remember what it was other then it was a Chevy...when we got there, we opened the barn door and it was a 1937 Chevy 2dr sedan with 57,000 miles!! It came with the original sales reciept & owners manual in the glove box, crank and spare still in the trunk. Trying not to be too exicted, I asked how much? He wanted $3500....ouch, that was a lot at the time for me....but I worked out a deal, changed the oil, repacked the front wheel bearings, and drove it 250 miles home at 50 mph and 20 mpg!! I still have it in the same condition I found it in....the pic is with the car dolled up for our wedding in 1996 ;)

Attached Files:

• 37-1.JPG
      37-1.JPG
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
  27. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first car was a "garage find" I guess.. well, actually maybe not, since I knew it was there all along?? Either way, original owner 56 Buick Special wagon. Parked in '75-76, I bought it in '96 and it didn't move an inch between those two events. 100% complete and original. Just how you want to find them. I think I blew most of my good car hunting luck right out of the gate!

28. Something similar happened to me in the early 70s too. Old farmer in the outer Eastern suburbs of Melbourne gave me a free 1929 NASH twin ignition sedan ( basket case ). In the shed he had a 1911 Renault speedster hanging from the rafters. I shall never forget that day. Since then i have had my fair share of barn finds. Never did get the Renault.

29. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

My '62 LCC was in a shed for 20 years. They're still out here.

30. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man....you hit the nail on the head!! Talk about descriptive writing!!!! Well done as always.