Register now to get rid of these ads!

VLV 15 via Route 66 Road Trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TiredIronGRB, Oct 6, 2011.

1. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I know it's six months out but my wife and I have always wanted to drive cross country in one of our Hot Rods or Customs and see some of the "Mother Road". So after following Toptinman's VLV road trip thread we plan to take our '63 Mercury and head out March 31st headed for VLV then maybe out to Santa Monica. This will be our longest road trip and thought it would be good to see how many others are going and would be traveling the same route.

So if you're planning on being on the road with us or have suggestions on places to see post up and let us know. Also if you're here just to bash VLV, please just move on...this trip is more about the journey than the destination anyway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Driving route 66 is cool, but be prepared to be driving on some not so well maintained roads. I just drove it in California south of the Mojave desert and the road is rough. They do have really cool route66 logos painted on it at alot of intersections that make for a good photo op though.

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

the wife and i were planning on doing rt 66 in the 3 wk of oct. but i havent finished her ot car yet(67 impala 2dr hardtop).i still have to get the vinyl roof put back on get the frontend lined up and put the cars bolt ons bolted back on.engine runs good.well for the 15 min. i had it runnin.fresh up 283 .60 small cam lots of chrome and polish.powerpack heads.so i quess it will be later in the yr. or maybe, just maybe next march.oh yea, and get my aaa card renewed lol

4. Cool cars, and sounds like a great adventure. Be sure to post up your photos here!

5. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

6. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

7. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Man, I've seen pics of your Mercs here and there over the last few years and I've got to say that they're stunning. The copper-gold car changed my whole opinion about those breezeway windows... killer little custom, man.

Anyway, have fun, take pictures, and lots of spare parts too!

8. scrubba

scrubba

Great looking cars . Hard to believe , but I worked on those when they were new in a Mercury dealership . scrubba

9. Wow, Beautiful Merc's!
    I sure hope y'all can hook up with us.
    so far we have 3 '59 Edsels and Toptinman Larry wagon.
    Gonna be a great trip.

10. Im gonna be trying to make it down, dont know if ill be able to take my 53 tho.
    I turn 20 on the 8th of april so that show would be a nice bday present!

11. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

That's a must, you guys pushed us over the top to finally make this trip.

12. my suggestion for a 66 stop as always is the teepee motels in holbrook az, then hopefully i can meet ya there and I can take my 50 dodge to vlv.

13. We're going to try and stop at all the Iconic Motor Courts, and stay at one every night.

5 months!

14. Toptinman

Toptinman

In 15 weeks and 5 days from now, we'll be heading out for Viva. Looking forward to the trip as much as the destination myself. I'm anxious to hook up with you, Tired.

15. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I hear you...we plan to leave east Tennessee in 109 days heading that way :cool:

16. tankwilson

tankwilson

We did the MO section on our way to Greaserama a couple of years ago. Yea if you want to follow the exact road then i would get new shocks before the trip. Still worth it though. Really neat history and you can almost see the ghosts of years past.

[​IMG]

17. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

That sounds like a blast. I'd like one day to pick it up in Santa Monica and see where it takes me ( in that journey, not the destination kinda way). Good luck and Ill look forward to seeing pics.

18. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

99 days until we head out...I can't wait to hit the road!

19. I say go for it and have a great time. Oklahoma has more drivable miles of 66 than any other state and a lot of neat attractions along the way. If you let folks know when you will be hitting different towns in the state I bet you will get to meet quite a few hambers if you have the time.

20. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Sounds like fun!!!

I spend a lot of time in NW Arizona and can report that RT66 Off I-40 Exit 139 (Crookton Rd) to Kingman was in pretty good shape this year...

Stop in at West Side Lilo's Cafe in Seligman for a burger and dessert... http://www.westsideliloscafe.com/

Jim Hinckley in Kingman, Az is a great resource for RT66 info... http://route66chronicles.blogspot.com/

Don't buy gas/fuel in Williams if you can avoid it due to tourist trap prices...
    (it's 116 miles round trip for me into Williams to get groceries/parts and I like to buy local, but all the stations seem to be on the gouge program)

Pilot Travel Center in Bellemont Exit 185 or the Texaco in Ash Fork Exit 144 are good gas/fuel stops...

Send pics!

21. bigken

bigken

I wanna goooooooo......................

[​IMG]

22. JUNK62

JUNK62

My wife an I are also headed to VLV 15. We have went for the last 2 years but this time we are driving ROUTE 66. We will be leaving Ohio on March 30th. we are taking our 1962 Chevy Biscayne. We have already been excepted to enter the VLV show, we will be staying at the Orleans hotel for the whole event. Hope to see you there.:cool:

23. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

We'll keep an eye out for you!

24. We need to get our itineraries together and see if some of us can meet up.
    Looks like quite a few running the MotherRoad! to Viva this year.
    Toptinman knows all the cool places along Route 66.

We had to make a vehicle change and will be taking our Rocketbird this time.
    [​IMG]

25. bigken

bigken

I've got a few books, maps, and goodies, and the phone number to an author of a few books on the 'MotherRoad'............

26. That's rad! Good luck!

27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

JELLOSEEEEEE!!!!!!!
    I'll be slaving away.
    I promised the kids a machine gun shoot at the end-o-March.
    There is next year.

28. ryno

ryno

be sure to let me know when you coming through the Joplin area.
    hopefully it wont be like last time with Larry...

29. bigken

bigken

I think us Texas boys are just hittin' Flat Top Bob's, and heading west.............Larry is skeered of Joplin.......hahahaha