Register now to get rid of these ads!

hunting replacement 318 poly parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by liljgoneman, Jun 12, 2008.

1. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

anybody out there know where to find a source for new parts like distributors, starters, even water pumps? or any info on converting what i believe is a generator to an alternator setup? i picked up a '59 dodge truck for the drivetrain, gonna stab it in a T bucket and i'm curious about parts availability on a motor like this. any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Most of the parts you have listed are the same as the newer LA 318 use. Unless you have that goofy extended bellhousing, the LA starters will work. The water pump and dist from an LA will work. Mopar used the poly 318 up through 66 so you can use factory brackets for alt, power steering and even air if you wanted. Intake, heads, valve covers, and rockers/pushrods are about the only things from an LA 318 that won't work. Gene

3. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I've got a '64 , which should be very simlr to yours. I ordered a rebuild kit from NAPA with no trouble. I need a starter and Alt too. I hope not a water pump. Good luck and lemme know if you learn anything good out there in your search.
    Jay

4. George

George

Polys don't have extended bells. try Rock Auto, napa, ect. The water outlet on a LA pump is usually on the opposit side vs an "A".

5. On my 58 Ply. 318 Poly. the water pump is castiron and is 1 1/2' shorter than the aluminum pump . I don't remember if the truck is the same, I had a 58 PU in 1985 so its been a while.

OLD HEMI