Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag Surfing In Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Very cool. Wonder what that track looks like now?

3. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

....I would suspect that alot of guys spilled their coffee, had a lump in the front of their underwear, and were late for work this morning......great footage incidently.....

4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

But I don't have internet at home :(

5. Hell... I can't tell it from Mo-Kan.

I wasn't prepared for the music though. I'll hit the bong and watch it again...

JOE:cool:

6. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Nice vibe with the jittery old grainy footage and the music. Reminded me of "The Wonder Years" tv show which would do that from time to time, but this was the real deal.

Close as we get to a time machine I'd say. Thanks for showing us.

7. Oh yeah... definitely better now :rolleyes:

JOE:cool:

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool!

I used to work at a place in LaJolla, CA back in the day and there was a lady at the place that used to ride on Duke Kahanamoku's shoulders while he was surfing and she used to "hang" out with him. She would tell me some great stories about the surfing in Hawaii back in 1930's.

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Wow...super great..thanks Ryan and Neil..... I wanna now get a Stomp'in Tom and Chantays remix.....
    Posted on the board before.... this shot was taken at Deseronto in 58 or 59.....

Great stuff!

[​IMG]

10. beauishere

beauishere

Great song selection. This site is already my favorite hot rod place. You keep posting my favorite music and I may not have time to go to work. Aloha

11. mpot

mpot

Flag men, hole shots, hot rods and heads-up racing. It just doesn't get any better than this!

12. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Jeff this is a great picture and historic and I don't mean to have this thought but it looks like all these guys had too much coffee and all had the same urge at the same time. OK I'll go sit in the corner now.:D

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

great post again, ryan. i want more info about mohawk...

14. Big Kevin

Big Kevin

Dammit man, if that didn't lower my blood pressure by about half. Thanks for putting this up. My wife's car decided to stop working on her this morning leaving her stranded down the road in morning rush hour. So after dealing with getting everyone to work and school and the car back home to sort it out later, this was very welcome. Hope to see you this weekend. We'll watch some other old cars go down another cool old track.

15. Took a break this morn. to watch your flick,,,,,you were right!!! the world is now a much better place for me! Thank you! ( bye the bye,,,,,do you know what the times were on that Piper Cub?) Gpa Crow.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes. Yes. Yes.

17. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thanks for that Ryan. Got me ready to go for the rest of the day!

That 32-34 Ford pickup at 4 mins. is dirt-magurt!

18. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Great footage, some nice iron in there.

I was really hoping that the gals in you picture were really female given the title of the post! "Drag Surfing". lol

Thanks for a good start to the day.

19. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Great video! Thanks for posting it! I had a buddy
    who raced at Desronto in the early '70's, probably
    just before the track closed down.

Mart3406
    ============================

20. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You have a very good ear for music, I say you live in the right little city for that art.

21. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

Cool Footage!

Man, not the place I would've thought I would be hearing Xavier Rudd this morning. But fit nicely. If you ever get a chance to see him live, he RULES!

22. 57dodge

57dodge

Nothing says Ontario Drag racing like some Reggae beets....
    Great video though.

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

24. I thought I saw "Littleman's truck" in there!

I didn't know he was a Rastafarian? (sp?)?

25. skidsteer

skidsteer

Run what ya brung, then put the hub caps back on and drive it home. Those of us who were there back then experienced a truly majic time.

26. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

Thanks Ryan just got home from a bad day at work and the jalopy journal made it a better day.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes. Yes. Yes.

28. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I cant watch videos here at work so Im gonna have to take Junkyard dogs advice and watch it when I get home!

29. Thanks Ryan.
    Seeing that video brings back lots of memories. I used to race at a drag strip just north of Ozark Missouri back in the 60s and seeing the flag starts and stuff was great. Great video and tunes.
    Times were definately simpler back then.
    Also raced at the old KCTA strip in Kansas City and was about the same deal there. You could go up on wednesday night and put 50 cents in the pot and race all night. Just pull up to the line and challenge someone and race. Great times.
    Later,
    Dick

30. Greezeball

Greezeball

That was killer my father and uncle both raced there. That gold '40 with the Road Runners plaque may even be the one my uncle ran, it was olds powered. His name is Jim Barber. I flew gliders there in the early 80s and as far as I know the air strip is still there, old WW2 air base tons of old hangers and buildings. The main reason it closed was the tarmac was getting too rough to race on and the government didn't want too pay too repave it. It's huge gotta be 3 to 4 miles long. A track was built just down the road, drag strip and road coarse, it's called Shannonville and it's still there. I used to race bikes and sidecars there. I've heard stories of them having too chase cows off of the strip and shovel up the cow shit before they could race.