Register now to get rid of these ads!

The art of Ford Times magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. MODELA30

MODELA30

thanks bomber i used to work for 2 ford dealerships. just brings back memories. knuck from indiana.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. duste01

duste01

I think we all yearn for simpler, warmer and friendlier times. Maybe we can talk Ford into making THOSE cars again? Eh?

5. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

used to look forward to it coming to the house every month, after my parents bought a brand new 64 Galaxie 500 XL, from F.Day Ford in Plainfield, N.J. Wimbledon White with Blue/silver interior, Ford Times must have come for 10 years after that -

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What a nice dose of nostalgia on a day I needed a pick-me-up.

Thanks, Jive-Bomber.

-Dave

7. plan9

plan9

i enjoyed the loose illustrations. advertising/film art of the era is just amazing.... the speed at which these people would work at while creating something visually pleasing is inspiring.

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

I remember my grandparents getting those magazines when I was a kid.I'd forgotten all about them.Thanks for the reminder....Ebay,here I come!

9. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

i found a bunch of the ford times at a yard sale. they are still in the binders. got em for a buck per binder full. i'll try to upload a pic later.

10. Dennis D

Dennis D

Dad bought a new '56 (I believe a Fairlane) blue and white. I would have been 7 at the time, and I remember those magazines. I too had forgotten them until this post. Thanks for bringing the memories back. Dennis
    PS Dad wrecked that car on New Years eve. Hit a train at a crossing in Flat River, MO. Said the lights at the crossing were not working and it was a VERY foggy night. I still think he was plastered though.................

11. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Indeed!

12. wizzard23

wizzard23

My great uncle was a Ford Man . He recieved Ford Times for many years. I always enjoyed them when I was a kid. Hadn't thought of them in years. Thanks for joggen' the noggin.:D

13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

When I bought my 63 galaxie there was a full box of Ford Times...must of been every issue from 1958 to the late 60s! That was some good reading for me at 18 years old!

14. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I know I have a bag of these laying around, I'll try and scan them later.. Crazy artwork in the 60's ones.

15. Oh yes, some great material for the 'reading room'. Short stories, kind of like a Readers Digest with the car theme. My wife's grand-dad worked for Chrysler from the 20's-50's and they did a similar publication in the mid&late 40s (maybe longer). She has a bunch of them stashed away but this post has me thinking I should pull them out and go thru 'em. The Ford Times and similar pubs reflect the lifestyle of their times.

16. I didn't save any of the Ford Times but I do have a buyers guide from around 1963 and the owners manual from my 1962 Galaxie 500xl.

17. Dzus

Dzus

My grandfather was a Ford man and got Ford Times from the 40's to the 60's. He saved them all and ever since I was a little kid I loved reading the short stories. Besides the car stuff there was a wide variety of features of different people and places all over the country. When I became an adult and starting traveling the country on my own every so often I would run across a place featured in one of the articles. It always amazed me to have stumbled across one of them, whether it was exactly the same or radically different.

You mention the art work. When cheap color copiers came about I actually framed blown up photocopies of some of the art work for decor. Charley Harper is just one of dozens of artists work featured.

Anyway, I still have them and occasionally dig them out. The back page says 'This issue of FORD TIMES is sent to you with the compliments of' and then printed is the name of our long gone local Ford dealer, and above all of that is printed my long gone grandfathers name and address. Seeing this takes me back to a place far away and long ago.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
    lothiandon1940 and stillrunners like this.
  18. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I have a bunch more but I'm in a hurry right now, I'll throw some more online later if anyone wants.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    stillrunners and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Here's a few more for the hell of it.. Had to post 'The Chevrolet Story' for kicks..

Attached Files:

20. Babbs

Babbs
    from Virginia

I would love to see more Ford Time magazines uploaded; am looking for late 50s and early 60s issues. Thanks so much.

Babbs

21. vkier

vkier
    from Missouri

JEALOUS!!! What was the date range of the ones you got? If ever you're willing to part with some, I'm in the market to buy them. :)

22. cc8888

cc8888
    from Texas

I have a bunch that are late 40's through the early 60's. Lot's of Harper artwork in the ones I have. If you are still interested contact me

[email protected]

23. I have about 30 issues from 1960-1962 yrs. (NOT FOR SALE). I treasure them as well as the few Buyers Guides from the same era. They came in the mail to my Dad as he always bought new Fords in Dandridge, Tennessee every few years. I still have a few dealer promos from the same time period. Those were the days when the manufacturers as well as the dealers actually appreciated the brand loyalty exibited by the public. Sadly those days are long gone.....Don.

stillrunners and lothianwilly71 like this.
  24. Wow- out of the blue..this thread resonates with me, especially artists Ben Eisenstat & Clayton Staples. Subscribed.
    Exciting to see this stuff (new to me). Please post away ElvisaurusRex!
    I do watercolors too;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  25. rachel25e

rachel25e

Late to the party on this, but I'm working on a project on Ford Times Magazine and Charley Harper. I'm interested in the reasons for these publications, their distribution, and any advertisements within the magazine, and this forum, and I am looking for digital access to any of the magazines in which he contributed, including articles and illustrations.

Thanks!

26. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Found a bunch of 'em dirt cheap at our local yearly swap meet this weekend. Most from the early to mid '60s. Bought them thinking of a Ford friend of mine, but looking through the stash I may keep a few for myself!

27. I've managed to collect all 12 issues of Ford Times from 1954,

This is a couple of extras I have.HRP

[​IMG]