Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting column shift to floor shift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I just picked up a good running 1941 Pontiac flathead 6 with a column shifted 3 speed trans.. I'm planning on putting it in a modfied I'm building. Has anyone ever converted a column to floor? How did you do it? Do you have pictures? I know it's tech week and I promise to do a tech when I start to do it. But if anyone has any info I can sure use it. I was thinking of using a chevy 3 speed shifter and fabbing up new rods and brackets. What do y'all think. Thanks -stick

[​IMG]

2. 53burb

53burb

Big "E"! I would like to see this too. I plan on doing the same to the wagon. KNUX!

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Lots of 3 speed shifters on ebay

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

From what I can see of the transmission, it looks like a "selector" type that has one normal looking shift arm and one small selector arm. Conventional floor shifters won't work with it, and Ansen and Drag Fast are the only brands that I know of that made selector conversion kits.

5. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

O.k. Please explain "selector shifting". Yes I'm stupid.:D Thanks, -stick

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the small lever on the transmission dictates which gear the big lever goes into,
    ie: throw the small lever forward (or back) to have the big lever work first or revese, throw the small lever the opposite way to get the big lever to work secord and third.

maybe you could use the stock shifter turned sideways on the floor as shown in an earlier thread
    or fab up a shifter with a secondary control like the reverse T on a vertical gate shifter?

7. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

just use 2 shifters! one short one tall!

Attached Files:

8. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Two Shifters!!!! Now that's an idea I dig. Thanks for the info fellas. -stick
    P.s. Dig your signature.

9. y block

y block
    from kcmo

I'd like to do the same thing with my yblock v8- 3 on the tree